Is practicing Table football by yourself pointless

Foosball chat / key issues and discussion
Teeb

Is practicing Table football by yourself pointless

Post by Teeb » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:23 pm

Some fellow Warwick players whos names shall remain anonymous (Steve Lyall) seems to think that practicing table football on your own is pointless.
i quote:
"Stevie: it doesnt make any sense how you can practice a 4
          person game by yourself"

Just wondered what other people thought?

Oatsey

Practice

Post by Oatsey » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:30 pm

I would say practicing on your own is essential !!!

This is the only real way to improve ball contol and shots past a certain level. Especially effective for 5 bar stuff!!!

However this will NOT be sufficient and play and tournament play is essential as well as this shows you what is not working with what you are practicing so you can change it until it works i.e. difference between theory and practice pardon the pun!!!

Catherine

Post by Catherine » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:45 pm

I would have said pretty much exactly what Dave Oates said, so won't bother saying it again.

I arrived back from foosing in London this morning at 2:30am and stayed up practising till 7am this morning!
LLAB

Mase

Post by Mase » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:00 pm

its essential,
you need to practice and learn shots in a no pressure environment that way you have the confidence to play them in tournies.

Mike A

Post by Mike A » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:23 pm

I am frankly amazed by this question.

Do you never play a game and see poeple play stuff, that you then think 'I'd like to have a go at that in private till I can do it well'?

Also, do you never think 'I have a reasonable shot/pass, but could make it great just by practicing a bit more/if I got a bit more posession in games'?

Being able to technically execute passes/shots is the first step to becomming a good player, this is achieved mainly through solo practice.

The next step is to play against as many different people (preferably slightly better than you) as possible to enhance your thinking game/ability to adapt

It is this next step that UK players find hard, but without the technical side to your game, the 4 player games are going to be of poor quality, and the rate of improvement consequently will be lower than it could be.

At the moment I feel I have a reasonable game, I can execute stick and brush passes ok, and have an ok snake, but playing Rob A at the Bush tourny brought home the reality that technical ability is nothing without the mind games to tie it all up with. But if you guys can't get as far as the technical stuff, you will never even touch on some of the mind games when you play the comps, and the technical stuff comes so much more quickly with solo practice.

The solo practice should back up your competitive gaming.
I slag around a fair amount to play against as many people as possible, my solo practice revolves around tricks I see others doing/videos I've watched, plus the mistakes I made during the weeks games; the weaknesses I identify when I play at the Alfred, the Black horse, at Raj's and at James', not to mention the odd trip to the Bush, and of course competitions ;)
Like Dave O says, one of the major benefits is in the development of ball control.

The only reason solo practice at table football would be pointless is if you didn't want to be a decent table football player.

JT

Post by JT » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:25 pm

Mase wrote:its essential,
you need to practice and learn shots in a no pressure environment that way you have the confidence to play them in tournies.
Definitely, but it also helps to put a bit of pressure on your practice in  preparation for the real thing.

PS Steve lyall = n000000000000000000000000000000000000b!!!!

Viniak

Post by Viniak » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:00 pm

Just ask the best wheter they do it or not.

In Poland all of the best players practice on their own. Easy question, easy answer.

But a better question would be, is solo practice enough. I've met people who bought a table to their homes and practice. But every time I meet them, when I ask a question, why I don't see them at tournaments, they answer - "we're not good enough yet, we will practice and then turn up" What a bulls*&%

Oh, and if I may I would like to change a course of this thread. We've recently saw that it is harder to encourage new people into playing foosball, and it is obvious that the more people play, the better is the level of competition. They have everything, they have DYPs, they have Pro/Ama's, they have their amateur league (singles and doubles) they have almost no entry fees for Open tournies... and nothing. What do you think about it? What is the best way to encourage people into playing foosball... and... do we really want people who need encouragement, speaking as Kant would have said: "How possible it is to encourage people into being the best of the best"
".. the odds are they're probably basic white cotton underpants.. but I started thinking.. well maybe, maybe they're silk.. panties, maybe it's.. maybe it's a thong.. maybe it's something cool I don't even know about.."

Catherine

Post by Catherine » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:34 pm

Do ya reckon top tennis players never practice their serve on their own?

Yeah right.
LLAB

Teeb

Post by Teeb » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:38 pm

The Pink 'Peril' wrote:Do ya reckon top tennis players never practice their serve on their own?

Yeah right.
I prefered the David Beckham free kick comparison.  :D

Catherine

Post by Catherine » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:09 pm

ref: dave beckham...didn't see that posted here!
LLAB

snakecharmer

Post by snakecharmer » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:16 pm

I can't think of a top player who doesn't practice. There are countless things to work on, and as many different ways to practice.

Teeb

Post by Teeb » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:18 pm

I used the david beckham comparison when argueing with steve. Basically, hes an idiot. ill give him a link to this thread. He's just bought a new table football table for his house but doesnt play on his own because he thinks its pointless. Which is rediculous. muppet.

Catherine

Post by Catherine » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:18 pm

There seems to be a huge amount of disagreement amongst the replies on this thread. Maybe a bobby moss pole is in order!
LLAB

Teeb

Post by Teeb » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:22 pm

i think if there was a poll there would only be 1 vote saying it was pointless

Mike A

Post by Mike A » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:27 pm

Viniak wrote:
Oh, and if I may I would like to change a course of this thread. We've recently saw that it is harder to encourage new people into playing foosball, and it is obvious that the more people play, the better is the level of competition. They have everything, they have DYPs, they have Pro/Ama's, they have their amateur league (singles and doubles) they have almost no entry fees for Open tournies... and nothing. What do you think about it? What is the best way to encourage people into playing foosball... and... do we really want people who need encouragement, speaking as Kant would have said: "How possible it is to encourage people into being the best of the best"
No offence, but why not start a new thread for this rather than hi-jacking someone elses.

Chaz

Re: Is practicing Table football by yourself pointless

Post by Chaz » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:32 pm

TommyB wrote:"Stevie: it doesnt make any sense how you can practice a 4 person game by yourself"
Its also a 2 person game and on your own your only 1 person off that ;)

I personally practice in fun games with friends in college. Admitedly I don't have my own table yet though, and will almost certainly try out new stuff on my own once I have one. I think one of the most valuable ways to practice is to slowly increase the skill of the oponent you're playing your new stuff against (and that could mean noone then friendly no pressue games then tournament games).

Catherine

Post by Catherine » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:38 pm

TommyB wrote:i think if there was a poll there would only be 1 vote saying it was pointless
Um...I was being sarcastic Fruity Boy!  :lol:
LLAB

Teeb

Post by Teeb » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:56 pm

Mike A wrote:
Viniak wrote:
No offence, but why not start a new thread for this rather than hi-jacking someone elses.
Thread Theif

Teeb

Post by Teeb » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:59 pm

The Pink 'Peril' wrote:
TommyB wrote:i think if there was a poll there would only be 1 vote saying it was pointless
i was being insulting....towards steve   :roll:

Catherine

Post by Catherine » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:05 pm

TommyB wrote:
The Pink 'Peril' wrote:
i was being insulting....towards steve   :roll:
:roll:  :roll:  :roll: you mean stating what I was clearly insinuating!? Fruits! :oops: Loops!
LLAB