Noise control

Foosball chat / key issues and discussion
paddy

Noise control

Post by paddy » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:27 pm

Hello. I have a problem. I can't use my table at home because it's too noisy for the people living directly below. It's not just the sound of the ball going in the goal (which is heavily padded now) but also the conduction of sound through the table when I hit the side with the rod or hit the ball. So I can't do anything.

Do any of you know if it's any good putting something under the legs to reduce sound conduction through the floor? Any physicists among you know of any material in particular that might work? Any other bright ideas? Anyone got any cork balls i could try?

Paddy

snakecharmer

Post by snakecharmer » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:39 pm

Pinning the ball makes a lot of noise as well. Putting some fibre packing material under the legs will cut down the noise, but may also make the table wobble. Turn the music up!

Jonathan May
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan May » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:41 pm

Speaker mats might work - you can get them from most proper hi-fi places I think. Basically, they are designed so that the sound the speakers produces cannot be conducted through the body of the speaker and directly into the floor - the mat absorbs the sound first.

I have no idea whether they actually work though, and even less idea that they'd work with a table football table. Though I do think the right people to ask would be hi-fi retailers.

Jon

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:15 am

Speaker mats aren't really for stopping speaker noise - they're for keeping the speakers still. Okay, so they'll make a bit of difference, but not much. If you're going down that route, proper feet are what you're after - if you go into Dixons and look at the underside of a DVD player you'll see it has round feet about 2 or 3 inches in diameter. Those are what you're after - Sevenoaks on St Clements (I think it's there) will certainly have some of those. If you explain what you're after to them they might even be able to offer you a better solution.

Jonathan May
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan May » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:22 am

OK cool - I didn't know that...

Jon

Philo

Post by Philo » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:23 am

robmoss2k wrote:Speaker mats aren't really for stopping speaker noise - they're for keeping the speakers still. Okay, so they'll make a bit of difference, but not much. If you're going down that route, proper feet are what you're after - if you go into Dixons and look at the underside of a DVD player you'll see it has round feet about 2 or 3 inches in diameter. Those are what you're after - Sevenoaks on St Clements (I think it's there) will certainly have some of those. If you explain what you're after to them they might even be able to offer you a better solution.
You seem to be making the generous assumption that the staff in Dixons have some product knowledge. If your Dixons are anything like mine it will be staffed by grubs who will just read the packaging.

Sorry paddy i dont think it can be done. Loud pinning, banging rods and moving feet are always going to be heard downstairs. Might just have to stick  to solo practice where you can control the noise.  :(
Philo

Brian

Post by Brian » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:27 pm

I know this might sound a bit much Paddy,put a block of concrete under each leg as it is not the sound but the vibration of the table and you will have to absorbed that to stop the annoyance.the table will be raised so you have to have equivalent to stand on.
4inch. solid(70p each) or 9inch. cavity(90p) blocks.
FOR EGO OR SPORT?
www.irishfoosball.com
Why do you play?
If it's for fun ,why keep score?
Best whish's to all in Germany.
What a party it's going to be.
If i was not playing i would still be there.
It is the way it will be 2006WC.

Craig

Re: Noise control

Post by Craig » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:20 pm

paddy wrote:So I can't do anything.
Sell sell sell.   8)

davez

Post by davez » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:33 am

I've struggled with this problem for years. I'm afraid that the only solution I have found that works is to play only when everyone is out. And when they are out, play like crazy.

Interestingly, the most annoying aspects of the sound are not those you might expect. It's the continual pinning and shooting rather than the sound of the ball hitting the backplate that's the worst. I don't even bother with the mouse mat in the goal any more.

Dave

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:02 pm

Philo wrote:You seem to be making the generous assumption that the staff in Dixons have some product knowledge. If your Dixons are anything like mine it will be staffed by grubs who will just read the packaging.
I never said to go and ask anyone anything, just to look at stuff on the shelves!

MikeF

Post by MikeF » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:36 pm

To be honest, the only thing that stops sound is mass.

Having the table in a room with a heavily-carpeted concrete floor, with solid brick walls and solid doors would be best.

Make sure you shut all doors and windows, closing the curtains will also help. If your doors and walls are thin, you can hang heavy cloth drapes over them. The heavier the drapes used, the better.

If you have a wooden floor, you have to try and disconnect the table from direct contact with the floor itself. This can be done with carpet - heavy carpet mats with rubber backing are pretty good - also minimises slipping.

The sounds produced by trapping the ball, shooting etc are fairly broad spectrum, but tend to be mostly higher frequencies - this is a good thing, because these are more easily blocked using the things I have outlined above.

As long as you separate the table from direct contact from the main soundboard (the floor) you will block most of the lower frequencies. Between the two approches, you will acheive a significant drop in dB leakage from your practice room!

Hope this helps :)
Mike F 8)
The Snake is a Rock 'n' Roll thing!

Naked Snake

Post by Naked Snake » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:57 pm

If you live on the top floor you could suspend the table from the ceiling by rigid rods. Then the sound will travel upwards rather than down through the floor. You could also rig up a harness so you can play while hanging from the roof too, to avoid loud jumping around in singles games.

That's a physicists reply: it'll work fantastically, but it's ridiculously impractical without a load of cash.

Other than that, I agree with Mike and others: put some insulating materials under the feet. Cork wall tiles will work well, as will rubber matting.

Mark
Just Cup Them

paddy

Post by paddy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:45 pm

Good old helpful britfoos. Cheers guys.

I've found this site which I might use: http://www.domesticsoundproofing.co.uk/products.htm

Paddy

Jonathan May
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan May » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:34 am

MikeF wrote:Live in a solitary confinement cell
:lol:

Zico

Post by Zico » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:06 pm

After playing on Andrei's WC Garlando with a bonzini ball, I was so amazed that it plays quite well while being absolutely silent.  It seems like a good solution to late night foosing  :D