Improving dexterity

Playing advice / tips / Rules
Post here if you need help from the experts!
AK47

Improving dexterity

Post by AK47 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:27 pm

Does anyone have any exercise tips to improve dexterity? My left hand needs some serious training. I've always considered my hand-eye coordination to be very good, but clearly I've neglected Mr Lefty in the past.

Anyone?
Every Friday at Rileys Manchester on Deansgate. PM me for more info.

The Doctor
BFA Chairman

Post by The Doctor » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:23 pm

Learn the piano?

Or, if you want to keep at the table, devise passing drills between the players on the 5 bar. Also learn the more complicated hacks (left hook, right hook) with a view to making them automatic.

You might also benefit from training peripheral vision (a good way seems to be by playing footie). http://web.mit.edu/jasonkb/www/vision.pdf

Happyham

Re: Improving dexterity

Post by Happyham » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:16 pm

AK47 wrote: clearly I've neglected Mr Lefty in the past.

Anyone?
Wish I could say the same.   :roll:

But seriously, I find that my speed has improved generally through experience of the game...   The more you play, the more you anticipate where the ball will land and how the ball reacts in certain situations etc etc...   This sounds pretty obvious, but hey...

I think one drill that might improve speed, is passing with your left hand on the goalie, (or 2 rod), then catching the passes on the 5 bar with the same hand.  

Its not made clear enough that great hand speed is COMPULSORY to becoming a great singles player.. No longer can you just be a great shooter from Defence and Attack...  You must have a good transitional game..  So practice playing fast and I guess you become better accustomed to how the ball reacts etc, and like i said before.. experience will tell dude I promise..  

I didnt feel particularly quick at all untill the last couple of tournies, and thats me playin for 2 and a half years now...
I hated every minute of training, but I said "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Please subscribe/comment/support my blog at http://happyham1986.blogspot.com/

davez

Post by davez » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:55 pm

OK, what I learned about myself is that I only *thought* my left hand was crap. In fact when I tried stuff with it I found it worked even though it not "feel" right (ha). The more I practiced things with my left hand the more confidence I got in it.

An example would be left handled shooting in singles. You probably think you cannot do it at all but when you actually try you will surprise yourself.

jhk

Post by jhk » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:41 pm

how bout swapping the bars around and playing on a left-handed table?
been considering this myself - never got round to it tho.
i have no idea whether it'll be effective or even counter-effective (scoring own goals might become easier lol).

Mogwai

Post by Mogwai » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:50 am

Left handed singles helps. I think basic ball control for the left hand is worse because you normally use the keeper (no passing between men on this rod) or the 5-bar where the men are so close together. Tic tacs on the 2 bar with your left help ball control.

Also long drills such as 1-2-1-3-1-4-1-5-1-4-1-3-1-2-1 and 1-3-2-4-3-5 and back again can help (sorry for sounding like rob moss!). Flicking back pins to front pins along the 5-row can also be practiced.

AK47

Post by AK47 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:50 pm

Some intriguing replies so far.

Left-handed singles: stupid question, but is this using your left-hand for all four bars? Or crossing hands maybe? (This site is littered with foosball slang and it takes a newbie aeons to decipher it all. Apologies).

DZ: I tried a few pull-shots with Mr Left today and they weren't bad at all. I think playing with players better than me does affect my confidence as it seems effortless for them, yet I realise they've spent hours/weeks/months practising their five-bar. Ultimately, I'll be a better player for it.

Mr Morgan: thanks the drills; I'll give them a try. Back-pin-to-front-pin was something on my to-do list. Nice to know I'm on the right path.
Every Friday at Rileys Manchester on Deansgate. PM me for more info.

Jude

Post by Jude » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:54 pm

davez wrote:An example would be left handled shooting in singles. You probably think you cannot do it at all but when you actually try you will surprise yourself.
Could you elaborate Dave

Mase

Post by Mase » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:07 pm

Why do you ask that?

Craig

Post by Craig » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:37 pm

What is "left handled shooting" anyway?

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:51 pm

Craig wrote:What is "left handled shooting" anyway?
If you don't know by now...
Still going....