World Cup 2011 Mens Team

Details of international Foosball events
Rob Atha

World Cup 2011 Mens Team

Post by Rob Atha » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Dave reminded me with his post, the deadline is the 30th September to submit the team and table.

So, I might as well get the ball rolling, who is interested in going to nantes in January?

I already heard a couple of players can't make it so I guess places are up for grabs this year in the team.

Tbh I have basically chose the team the last few years and don't mind taking a back seat this time in the selection process, I will be going as I am already qualified so you can count me in.

So, we should get a move on, we don't have to select the players before the 30th but we should have an idea of who's going so we can pick the table which suits the players best.

Rob

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Re: World Cup 2011 Mens Team

Post by Boris » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:27 pm

Can I suggest Garlando, essentially for the same reason why the seniors and women chose it last year - i.e. the foreigners (with the exception of the Austrians, Poles and Hungarians) absolutely hate playing on it.

Bear in mind this year there is a change in format:
New at the 2011 World Cup - more matches!!

At the end of the qualification phase (whose format details will soon be available), there will be "2nd Division" KO competitions for teams which don't qualify for the main KO draw, and elimination KO for teams which lose in the round of 16 in the main KO.

This will allow for more matches and more motivation for each team.

It will also lead to the creation of 2 divisions for the 2012 World Cup.
In 2012 Div 1 will feature only the teams who qualify for the KO stage this year, minus 1-2 teams who lose the eliminators after being KOd in the round of 16, and 1-2 non-qualifiers who win the promotion KO (2nd to and 2nd bottom play off against each other)

That means if we put out a weakened team we could be relegated for 2012.

davez

Post by davez » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:12 pm

My reason for choosing Garlando is not because other teams hate playing on it but because we are relatively stronger on it than any other table.
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

Rob Davey

Post by Rob Davey » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:32 pm

Count me in.

I think we had the table pick right last year with Torndao.

Rob

Jonathan May
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan May » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:50 pm

Rob Davey wrote:Count me in.

I think we had the table pick right last year with Torndao.

Rob
What's a Torndao? Is it a cheap Chinese clone of a Fireball?
--
Manager, TeamGB.

davez

Post by davez » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:11 pm

Jon, yes - Tornado is an ITSF official Fireball variant.
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

ybbun

Post by ybbun » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:13 pm

Another reason in favour of picking Garlando is that it may be our only hope of beating the USA, which we will probably have to do to win overall.

Mike A

Post by Mike A » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:53 pm

I'm really up for the world cup this year providing early selection decisions are made to allow holiday to be approved at work.

Obviously would prefer to play on Tornado as I am confident playing fronts and backs, although it would be interesting to see how we do on Garlando given that it might provide a comparative advanatage against all but the three Garlando strong nations.

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:26 pm

I really wanna go, confident on any table, front or back or bench boy, lets go go go!

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:52 pm

Andrew said
Another reason in favour of picking Garlando is that it may be our only hope of beating the USA, which we will probably have to do to win overall.
Whilst this is true unfortunately the same argument applies the other way i.e. Tornado gives us a better chance of beating Austria, Poland and some other teams I could mention who are V strong on garlando not just the US.

The decline of Tornado in europe now means that it is now actually providing a slight advantage in my view as many players in europe hardley ever play on it now at all but they do garlando, many as their home table.

However Mr Atha is still the best judge of whats best.

Rob Atha

Post by Rob Atha » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:56 pm

Oatsey wrote:Andrew said
Whilst this is true unfortunately the same argument applies the other way i.e. Tornado gives us a better chance of beating Austria, Poland and some other teams I could mention who are V strong on garlando not just the US.

The decline of Tornado in europe now means that it is now actually providing a slight advantage in my view as many players in europe hardley ever play on it now at all but they do garlando, many as their home table.

However Mr Atha is still the best judge of whats best.
Its a tough one, realisticly if we pick Tornado, the USA is the only team who should beat us, if we pick garlando there are a few teams who could beat us from Europe, Austria, Hungary, Poland, Germany, swiss etc. As a nation we are not that strong on garlando, we kid ourselves that we are good just because we have garlando tournaments. Fair enough, it would give us a better chance against the USA, but I don't think we would beat the USA anyway, they would beat us on garlando too, Billy, Ryan, Tony, Tom Yore are all good on garlando.

I still think Tornado is the way to go.

out of out top players, Jon may is the only player who is better on garlando than tornado. The rest of the top players IMO are better on tornado.

I say we get the team sorted asap then we decide between ourselves which table is best.

Rytis Mitkus

Post by Rytis Mitkus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:31 pm

uh boy, i would Love to see Brits team playing on garlando.

atomic tortoise

Post by atomic tortoise » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:13 pm

i play garlando,tornado and fireball at home,fireball when i'm out and played bonzini for a year in cote d'ivoire[i also beat the portugese/brazilian?guy who works in bar kick twice the last time i was in there].i'll play on a chad valley if you like.....can i be in the team?....float on!....the tortoise

DaveC

Post by DaveC » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:16 pm

I'd like a free holiday, can I come?

atomic tortoise

Post by atomic tortoise » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:29 pm

wow dave!....you mean you get a free holiday too?...i was prepared to pay for the honour of playing for the team......who is picking the team this year?....float on!....the tortoise

Rob Atha

Post by Rob Atha » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:00 pm

can we stay on topic please?

atomic tortoise

Post by atomic tortoise » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:08 pm

ok can i be in the team?

Jonathan May
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan May » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:11 pm

You all know my views.

We've tried and failed on Tornado (quite a few times). The main justification for picking it was so we could beat teams like France, who were supposedly not as strong on it. Yet they killed us anyway at the last WC, and we also nearly lost to Slovenia(!) on the way, despite our supposed "advantage".

We've never had a problem playing those "strong European teams" on Garlando...

We don't really have Tornado events any more, and this seems likely to continue. We don't even know if our strongest Tornado players can make it.

There's no opportunity to play competitive Tornado coming up before the World Champs, either. There is very little opportunity to even meet anywhere to play it either.

Our best ever result in National Team Competitions came on Garlando, and we have not come close since. I think it's time to try something different.
--
Manager, TeamGB.

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:29 pm

Has a 2011 ITSF world cup working group been set up yet? Maybe best to invite all the relevant people to that and carry talk of table picks etc there away from a public forum where other nations could see.

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:44 am

Good idea Joe,

Jon has a point there but I suspect it has more to do with nerves/pressure than whether we could actually play better than them on that table normally.

If you guys go with Garlando then it does change the likely team in my view e.g. Nubbert should probably be on the team for example as he is rather sneaky and difficult to beat on Garlando in particular.