National Team Website - http://national.britfoos.com

Details of international Foosball events
Christopher Lyall
BFA Regional Rep - South West

Post by Christopher Lyall » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:50 pm

Joe's written a well good blog entry there.
www.fivebar.co.uk - Foosball Tournaments, Leagues, Shop

Rob Atha

Post by Rob Atha » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:28 pm

my biography has been updated.

Sampson

Post by Sampson » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:55 pm

Even though I have no involvement in the GB team I am actually really excited to see how our team does in France.  I love the new website as it shows that team GB are well up for it! It's great to see Joe's training schedule (you are one dedicated bloke!) and awesome to know that the team is bonding well and practicing together.

As a resident of the country you guys are competing for I wish you the best of luck and I know you lot can go far!

...I'm suddenly starting to feel all patriotic!...

:D Go Team GB! :D

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:31 pm

I've made some new designs for the site banner

the first has a bluey background, with a white stroke to help the text stand out

http://i42.tinypic.com/e969zt.jpg

the second is transparent, so it fits flusher with the other pictures/text/logos

http://i41.tinypic.com/nzk2lw.png

I think the second works better, and together with the lines background on the website overall it looks more appealing too

here is what the site would look like with the second banner:

http://i39.tinypic.com/33wnkmb.png

thoughts/comments/suggestions welcome as always

Sampson

Post by Sampson » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:36 pm

Jonesy wrote:I've made some new designs for the site banner

the first has a bluey background, with a white stroke to help the text stand out

http://i42.tinypic.com/e969zt.jpg

the second is transparent, so it fits flusher with the other pictures/text/logos

http://i41.tinypic.com/nzk2lw.png

I think the second works better, and together with the lines background on the website overall it looks more appealing too

here is what the site would look like with the second banner:

http://i39.tinypic.com/33wnkmb.png

thoughts/comments/suggestions welcome as always
What you've done looks very nice :)
Few things, 1) You don't have the Tecball logo on the banner and 2) I think that perhaps the pictures should be more relevant to team GB (I'm sure these could be provided by someone).

Apart from that, I like! Good work :)

...I much prefer number 2 with the transparent background.

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:45 pm

I put in the tecball logo and then removed it, as it isn't one of the ITSF tables so it doesn't count ( i think)

Sampson

Post by Sampson » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:49 pm

I'm pretty sure Tecball is affiliated with the ITSF...I may well be mistaken though...

They are definitely "partners"...

http://www.table-soccer.org/partners/tecball.php

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:13 pm

i stand corrected  :P
changes have been made, here is what final version should look like:
http://i42.tinypic.com/rat54n.png

I've also changed the pics too, ideally one of the whole team would be good but i cant find much thus far

stu

Happyham

Post by Happyham » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:59 pm

Tecball is one of 5 ITSF tables.  Just clearin that one up!

Also, re: whole team photo..

Last time (2006) there were a few last minute changes to the team with a few people dropping out, so there wasn't really an official one, other than the one we had taken at the tournament.  Which I have a copy of if you want me to send it to you?

This year there has been no team photo taken, but again there will be an official one taken at the tournie!
I hated every minute of training, but I said "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Please subscribe/comment/support my blog at http://happyham1986.blogspot.com/

davez

Post by davez » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:17 pm

I added a story about my Nantes preparations.
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:59 pm

davez wrote:I added a story about my Nantes preparations.
Good stuff Dave.

About those Garlando speed balls: someone at Oxford had bought some of the current Speed Play balls and brought them along to one of our DYPs. I remember them being very hard like you said and I didn't like them. But he did say when he put them in the table in his college he felt it helped the new players' ball control more than the yellow magic ones.
OUTFC Secretary

davez

Post by davez » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:25 pm

Yes Graeme, I have heard this theory before - a ball which is harder to control helps your ball control. But I do not subscribe to it!

Especially for new players. The easier it is to control a ball the better it is, and more you will learn to do with it as a result. You will learn to do things that you did not know were possible. Foos is all about ball control. As far as the physical aspects of the game go, the more I play the more I think there is very little other than ball control! The more control you have the more you can do and the better you will become.

It's true that an experienced player can learn to adjust to a poor ball, and can adapt to it, but you have to know what's possible to start with.

Can you imagine trying to persuade a race car driver that it's better to have the steering a bit wobbly and the brakes a bit dodgy, because that way he will learn better control of his car? And then to say that this is especially true for people who are just learning to drive!

I apologise for this reply being off topic - mods feel free to move it.
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

tom_k
Site Administrator

Post by tom_k » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:14 pm

Jonesy wrote:i stand corrected  :P
changes have been made, here is what final version should look like:
http://i42.tinypic.com/rat54n.png

I've also changed the pics too, ideally one of the whole team would be good but i cant find much thus far

stu
Whilst there are some ideas in there which might merit further discussion, personally, I don't think this a step forward - please don't take the following personally: it's not personal, and I appreciate any effort which people put in.

One of the aims for the site was to create a space for potential sponsors. Currently, there are no major logos on there, which will make integrating any future branding easier  - so it's sort of "clean" for a reason.

Secondly, the Garlando logos etc will mean nothing to those outside of Fooz. As they're not direct sponsors, why should they be on the site? There may well be a place for them, but I don't think the top banner is it. Also, whilst it may be obvious to all of us, it may not be obvious to joe public that it is the home of the "British Table Football Team" - hence the strapline. I fear removing that and just having "Team GB" would be less clear.

Thirdly, the images (the men in the second pic) are squashed, and I didn't use the same "rounded corner images" as on the discover site in order to give it a more distinctive identity. I also didn't go for a "team shot" style thing as a) the teams appear to change quite a lot, b) no such photo of a professional enough quality exists. NB: if someone could get some decent group shots for future events + publicity it would be a very good idea.

Lastly, and this really is a personal thing - I don't particularly like the extreme red -> blue gradients on the lettering, and if I was going to be picky, I'd always want to align any left hand element to the left hand margin.

It's always good to have feedback for any site, and it's something I appreciate, hence my slightly lengthy response.

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:17 pm

Jonesy wrote:Team GB
I don't see anything wrong with this term - however, never have I seen such criticism of a team name. Every paper, I seem to have read, voiced their dislike of the British Olympic team being called 'team GB'. Repeatedly.
So basically, probv not the best thing to go for.

PADDY.

Post by PADDY. » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:32 pm

I find the current speedballs tend to slip from under the pinned man, does anybody know if this still happens when the ball has 'bedded in'?

I have no problems with the old magic balls.

davez

Post by davez » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:45 pm

Paddy,

You are exactly right. The ball squirts forward or backward. And it doesn't seem to bed in either. At least not in the few days I've been practicing with them.  Instead it attracts chips and divots which make it rock and roll. You set it up for a pull shot and it rocks off the spot or just rolls away. I am told this is how the Austrians referred to it recently in their forum: http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/2503 ... layvc0.jpg

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:48 pm

Tom_K wrote:it's not personal
Tom_K wrote:this really is a personal thing
lol what?

in answer to your questions:

I added the table logos to try and make the banner a bit more appealing, as having just a headline with some pictures is quite boring

as for the team gb name, I agree, and will change it accordingly so it doesn't seem all to affiliated with the Olympic team, unless the IOC decides to change that  :wink:

as for the text: why would you want it marginalized? its a banner and fits in well with the rest of the site which is also focused in the middle of the page

as for sponsors: the banner can be easily changed/amended in the future to open up new space for potential sponsors, this was only a first design and something which both myself and jon thought could make a positive change to the site

tom_k
Site Administrator

Post by tom_k » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:02 pm

Jonesy wrote:
Tom_K wrote:it's not personal
Tom_K wrote:this really is a personal thing
lol what?
i.e it's not a personal dig at you, and it's my personal opinion.

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:12 pm

lol yeah, i thought you were just rambling/still drunk from last night

i take it you made the banner on the page currently?

shovie

Post by shovie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:26 pm

What Tom said.

Jonesy, nice one for putting some effort in! But on this occasion it's misplaced. Are you doing a design-based course at uni? (please say no)

Alex