garlando wcs 2014 -11/7

Details of international Foosball events
willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Re: garlando wcs 2014 -11/7

Post by willhawkes » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:23 pm

And that's also 5 of you for a Team GB (Oates Oates Oakes Warr Warr). That's probably enough to register you all.

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:51 am

Hi will,
Rob atha said he was going as well I think.

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi will,

Rob atha is definitely going i am told ,not sure if he can register himself but Can you register a GB team if you have not done so as needs to be done by 4/7?
Thanks

matty96
BFA Regional Rep - North

Post by matty96 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:31 pm

Will,

Can you also register a junior national team.Martin Landers is coming along and bringing his daughter Sophie.Minimum 3 for a team so obviously me and Callum as well.Not sure if you are allowed to be part of the men's team and juniors as well but I think the juniors is on the saturday afternoon so might not clash.
Sophie doesn't have an itsf number as yet so let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers,

Matty.

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:06 pm

Sorry Matty, there doesn't seem to be an option within FAST to register a junior team Maybe get in touch with the organisers directly?

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:51 am

If Matty and Callum are playing Junior NC, we could still get a mens team out by including Mel Oakes and Martin Landers. We have had less experienced players represent GB before (e.g. Ann Marie Briggs (never played before) and Dave Evans' dad (hadn't played for 30 years)).

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:05 pm

Often there are not too many junior teams so best bet is to ask when they get there and they can probably do both.

matty96
BFA Regional Rep - North

Post by matty96 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:37 am

Our priority is to play in the men's team event and juniors only if allowed to.As Dave said we'll ask when we get there.

Not sure the rest of Europe are ready for Mel and Martin just yet!

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:27 pm

For those not on facebook Matt and Callum are now junior garlando World Champions!
Coming back from 2 games and 4-2 match point down in the third to win 3games to 2 and win the last game 5-0!
Incredible!!!!!!!

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:02 am

Even though no one reads this board any more I thought I would do a short write up of our experiences at the garlando WCS.

Myself and James had an early morning flight and arrived on Wednesday to get some sightseeing in before the event started.
Did all the usual stuff, castle cathedrals , Hotel Stern terrace Bar etc and also Hanger 7 owned by the red bull guy which was quite amazing and the Augustiner brau beer garden.

On the Wednesday night we went to a beer keller with a massive screen to watch the Argentinia v Holland match. An incredible place for this which weirdly actually had a load of Argentinians in it who were working in Salzburg! Drank a ridiculous amount but amazing atmosphere.

Anyway WCS started Friday am with Rookie doubles , despite it being Garlando which is not exactly our favourite table we managed to win 3 in qualification to get through to the SKO. We also managed to play like we had no arms in a couple of games as well losing to people we should have hammered!

Unsurprisingly we lost the first SKO.

Rob had turned up by that point and was playing in mixed and doing well. He made the final but unfortunately despite going one game up lost in the end primarily due to a high scoring percentage from the swiss guy . He also played in Pro doubles with Kevin and managed to win that final which was great to watch.

The Darlington posse arrived just in time for the nations cup event where we were drawn against Slovinia and France a relatively good draw.
Myself and James did not play well and lost our doubles match but fortunately everyone else did with great performances from matty,Callum and Darren and we won 3 -1

We then played France . This time myself and James actually played well and hammered the French guys who only sored once.
I cant remember who lost that time but again we won overall 3-1 meaning we got through to the SKO.

We were then told the SKO would start the next day so we went to the bar and had numerous pints (especially Rob!). Out of the blue we were then found in the bar and asked to play the SKO at gone ten o clock! This was against Hungary and unsurprisingly no one played well given their alcohol content including Rob and we lost .

Nevertheless great fun.

Saturday was doubles day and again myself and james won 3 matches in the qualification stages which was enough to get through to the sko. Strangely beating some good teams and losing to really bad teams but that's Garlando!!
Again unsurprisingly we lost in the SKO but not by much this time.

Matty and Callum were trying to hold on to their doubles title and doing well against some really good junior players . As I mentioned above the final was an epic where the guys were nearly out of it with match point against them and they showed the true character and fighting spirit of champions to come back to win it in the end 3 games to two. Simply amazing!

Rob was again playing with Kevin in open and managed to get to the quarter finals but then lost to the two Austrian guys who won it unfortunately.

Next day was singles day and I was playing in seniors . I played quite well in qualification winning 3 out of 5 so made it through to SKO but then played like an amoeba with dysentry to lose the SKO match. James failed to get through to the SKO but actually played ok against some good players losing quite narrowly on many occassions.
Callum and Matty were making a bid for a title in junior singles and were in separate draws so we were hoping for an all UK final!!!!
Unfortunately this was not to be and both lost in the quarter finals to the guys who both then went on to make the final .
Rob and Kevin also lost in the quarter final of the open event to the Austrian guys who went on to win it.

That night was World Cup final night so we joined up with the Darlington posse and went to the bier keller with the massive screen for the match .
This was a great night with a fantastic atmosphere as testified by our bill which was 107 euros for just me and James (although that did include some food!).

Overall a great experience and tremendous fun with little sleep might well be back as Salzburg is an awesome city.

matty96
BFA Regional Rep - North

Post by matty96 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:50 am

Following up on Dave's report we all had an amazing time in Austria.
This was our third visit to Salzburg and by far the best yet.
Retaining our World Junior Doubles title was the obvious highlight.We knew it would be a lot harder this year as we had done our research and the standard was so much higher.We qualified well this time around only losing one which gave us a bye.We then won both our quarter-final and semi-final games 3-1,setting up a clash with the Lithuanian pair who we had just overcome 7-6 in the quails and fully expected to be in the final with us.This game was just ridiculous.Narrowly lost the first game 5-4 after being 4-2 up.Well beaten in the second and championship points down in the third.A couple of great blocks from Callum,a 5-bar hack and a snake later and we had a foothold in the match.The fourth game was high quality.I can't remember exactly but it seemed like every pass got through and every 3-bar was scored.Pretty sure Callum got the winner for 5-4 with a rocket of a 2-bar.At this point momentum was clearly with us.We could sense they were now nervous so we really went for it and raced through the decider 5-0.Cue our dads' now legendary celebrations!! So chuffed to keep our crown for another year.
For the first time we were able to field a Junior National team which included Martin's daughter,Sophie,aged13.Unfortunately we had to forfeit a singles game in every match but still did really well.Sophie has a Bonzini at home and has had very little Garlando experience but as a team we managed to beat Austria who went on to finish 2nd.Even with our forfeit we took Germany to a decider and lost by just 2 balls.The same thing happened against Switzerland.We did qualify for the semi-final though due to our superior game scores but lost to the very strong Lithuanian team who went on to win.In the 3rd/4th playoff Germany did a number on us.By knowing we were going to forfeit they put their best 2 players in the doubles game,targeting Sophie.I won the singles game but they were too strong in the doubles so a respectable 4th place finish overall for Team GB.
Other highlights for me were 3 out of 4 wins in the Men's Team event which included a singles win over Geza Kiss from Hungary.He was last year's OD winner and finished 9th in OS this year.
Junior singles was ok.Both placed 5th.There were so many good players this year most of them unknown quantities.We both went out to the eventual finalists.
The social side was great.Had a great time with the Oates' especially during the World Cup Final which was just mental.Suffered heavily on the Monday.
All in all the perfect weekend.Can't wait to go back next year although we will have to enter OD instead of Juniors.

Matt Price
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Price » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:24 am

To both Dave and Matty, thanks for the posts and just wanted to let you know that at least someone has read them :wink:

It's always nice to hear the results and the afterglow from everyone. I was following much of the action over the weekend, watching the results updates on the ITSF website. Massive well done to Matty and Callum for retaining the doubles and congrats to everyone else.

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:51 pm

Yes I agree with Matt. Thank you for giving us these reports. They are always a pleasure to read.

It is a shame that Britfoos seems to be a forgotten channel of communication. I still regularly sign in to see No New Posts. Shame.

Well done guys. Great performance for a second year.

ybbun

Post by ybbun » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:15 pm

Yes, I enjoyed reading the reports too. Congrats on the results!

Christopher Lyall
BFA Regional Rep - South West

Post by Christopher Lyall » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:19 pm

Nice reports, and well done guys!
www.fivebar.co.uk - Foosball Tournaments, Leagues, Shop

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:13 pm

Well done guys. Some great results in there.

Rob, stop losing to Austrians.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:26 pm

MODDiscussion of posting on Britfoos versus Facebook moved to new topic in Table Football Chat.