Oxford Vs Warwick 2010

Inter-locale match organisation / match results.
Christopher Lyall
BFA Regional Rep - South West

Oxford Vs Warwick 2010

Post by Christopher Lyall » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:46 am

Oxford Vs Warwick 2010

Should probably have put this up before today, as I'm actually meant to be driving down to Oxford for exactly this event in a couple of hours.

The annual fun-fest that is the Warwick-Oxford foosball match will be taking place on the 20th November 2010 in Somerville College, Oxford University. Ten players from each side will compete in a thrilling test of hacking ability and filth stopping across the afternoon before probably going for a curry in the evening.

The teams are summarised below with short profiles:

Warwick

Christopher Lyall: Self appointed captain of the Warwick side, this handsome and gallant young man will be leading the invading horde to victory utilitising his unstoppable 5-bar and ever-potent 3-bar to bring Oxford hopes crashing down and tearing any thoughts of an improvement on last year's draw assunder.

Tom Willetts: Ever-improving (though regrettably ginger) player, Tom will be whiffing pull-kicks then scoring filthy diagonals at every opportunity and laughing in a high-pitched voice whilst he does so.

Josh Eilon: Leering over his opponents at the table from his massive height, Josh will be whisking away victory from under his opponents' noses (it's a pun because his trademark shot is called the whisk).

Ankush Khandelwal: Ankush, a master statistician, has already done some lengthy calculations and concluded that the chances of him losing to anyone at Oxford can be approximated as... zero!

Greta Skrupskelytė: Strongest of the debuting faces in this year's new-look Warwick side, Greta will be testing Oxford nerves with 2-bar shots that leave smoke trails across the pitch. Seriously, there are black streaks all over our tables now. It's actually quite a problem.

Spencer Powers: Spencer, as possibly the most prominent scarf-wearer in the bunch, will be able to blend in with the Oxford milieu with ease, convince them of his harmlessness as another seeming Oxford-style player then BAM! - pull out a superior Warwick shot to win.

Alex, Bertie, David and Alfie: Our remaining four squad members I personally have not had the opportunity to meet or get to know very well, but I think we can all agree that it would be silly to not assume that they were players of the utmost calibre whose composure on the table is as controlled and balletic as the planets' motions across the cosmos, whose every touch of the ball is a scintillating display of poetic harmony and grace and whose every thought on the table - victory already being assured - is of how to beat the opponent in the most sporting manner.

Oxford

Graeme Addison: Veteran, Captain, and ever-present old-boy of the club Graeme will be anxious to defeat his long-standing rival, Chris, with as much filth as he can muster. Little does he know that Chris, since their last meet, has mastered the art of holding the 1 and 2 bars with only one hand! Graeme's hopes will be crushed by this daring new strategy!

Brodie Pearson: Current President, Brodie is often found holding the rods for fellow teammate Stan, and occasionally making Tom Burdett break out in a sweat. He'll be aiming to position himself as the immovable object countering Warwick's irresistible force - well we all know how that battle turns out!

Stanislav Burkadurkawakkawakkawakkalov: Said to enjoy trampolining and wishes to be reincarnated in the next life as pac man. His snake is as one-way as most of central London.

Seven Other Oxford Noobs of No Particular Consequence: Not much to say here. I guess someone has to provide tea and refreshments.

The exact scale of Warwick's overwhelming victory will be published here tonight!

Chris x
Last edited by Christopher Lyall on Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.fivebar.co.uk - Foosball Tournaments, Leagues, Shop

Mase

Re: Oxford Vs Warwick 2010

Post by Mase » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:49 am

Wow, the difference in standard from that of 07-08.

Why has the standard dropped so much guys. Are there less people joining?

Regards,

Mase

Christopher Lyall

Post by Christopher Lyall » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:56 am

Mase wrote:Wow, the difference in standard from that of 07-08.

Why has the standard dropped so much guys. Are there less people joining?

Regards,

Mase
These things come in waves. We had three PM's and one Pro in my first year (07/08). Then the next year they all graduated and the highest ranked player was SP. Similar happens everywhere - it's not necessarily numbers going down, though sometimes it is.

Besides, we could have called up lots of alumni on the off-chance they wanted to compete, but would rather take as many freshers as possible to get them hooked.

Literally don't know much about Oxford's squad though.

Chris x

Christopher Lyall

Post by Christopher Lyall » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:13 pm

caféaulait wrote:The exact scale of Warwick's overwhelming victory will be published here tonight!
Well this didn't go quite according to plan... :oops:

Oxford 23 - 12 Warwick

Full results from Graeme to follow x

tom_k
Site Administrator

Post by tom_k » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:36 pm

Haha - awesome :)
(Obv that's coming from an Ex-Oxford player)

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:57 pm

Lol, I only saw Chris' post in this thread after the match :lol:

Thanks a lot to the Warwickites for coming over, it was good fun.

In the end if was a pretty emphatic victory for Oxford; things started badly with Warwick going 7-3 up but we came back very strongly winning 11 straight games to secure a vice-like grip on the match.

I was confident before we started because I knew we had better depth in the team but I was soon wondering whether my pairings choices were going to cost us after Brodie and I then had a shocker in our first match and Oxford lost a couple of other games I thought we'd win to let Warwick jump ahead.

Fortunately we turned things around with our new recruits proving their worth over their Warwick counterparts and some of our other teams pulling out wins against Chris Lyall and Tom Willet's pairs. One moment I particularly remember was Stan and debutant Dan Wainwright playing against Josh and partner who had beaten Brodie and I in our first game. Stan was playing at the back, not something that filled me with confidence*, but he defended superbly and refused to concede anything until he and Dan were 8-0 up (in a first to 9). It was then Dan Wainwright who finally took us over the finishing line after we suffered a minor lapse in the singles rubbers with Warwick winning a few on the trot.

* we had agreed beforehand to ban the snake though so it did make some sense

Anyway without further ado or needless ego stroking here are the full results. The format was 25 games of doubles (with each pair playing five) plus 10 games of singles, each game being first to 9 goals.

Doubles (16 - 9 to Oxford)

Oxford

A. Graeme Addison (Merton) & Brodie Pearson (Somerville)
B. Pete Franklin (Admissions) & Dan Sheppard (Trinity)
C. Chris Chan (St Catz) & Alan Shirfan (St Catz)
D & E were made up of combinations of Stanislav Burlakov (St Hilda's), Dan Wainwright (Brasenose), Dan Garrett (Brasenose), Kennan Lee (Teddy Hall) & James Paul (Balliol) since we had an extra player

Warwick (can someone give me surnames??)

1. Tom Willets & David
2. Chris Lyall & Alfie
3. Josh Eilon & Bertie
4. Ankush Khandelwal & Alex
5. Greta Skrupskelytė & Spencer

A v 1: 9 - 2 Oxford
A v 2: 9 - 6 Oxford
A v 3: 5 - 9 Warwick
A v 4: 9 - 5 Oxford
A v 5: 9 - 0 Oxford

B v 1: 9 - 5 Oxford
B v 2: 5 - 9 Warwick
B v 3: 9 - 6 Oxford
B v 4: 9 - 3 Oxford
B v 5: 9 - 0 Oxford

C v 1: 4 - 9 Warwick
C v 2: 9 - 7 Oxford
C v 3: 7 - 9 Warwick
C v 4: 9 - 7 Oxford
C v 5: 9 - 1 Oxford

D v 1: 5 - 9 Warwick
D v 2: 3 - 9 Warwick
D v 3: 9 - 2 Oxford
D v 4: 9 - 4 Oxford
D v 5: 9 - 1 Oxford

E v 1: 1 - 9 Warwick
E v 2: 4 - 9 Warwick
E v 3: 9 - 8 Oxford
E v 4: 2 - 9 Warwick
E v 5: 9 - 0 Oxford

Singles (7 - 3 to Oxford)

1) Graeme Addison 8 - 9 Chris Lyall (Warwick)
2) Pete Franklin 9 - 4 Tom Willets (Oxford)
3) Chris Chan 4 - 9 Josh Eilon (Warwick)
4) Brodie Pearson 8 - 9 Ankush Khandelwal (Warwick)
5) Dan Sheppard 9 - 2 David (Oxford)
6) Stanislav Burlakov 9 - 1 Alex (Oxford)
7) Alan Shirfan 9 - 3 Spencer (Oxford)
8 ) James Paul 9 - 0 Bertie (Oxford)
9) Kennan Lee 9 - 5 Greta Skrupskelytė (Oxford)
10) Dan Wainwright 9 - 5 Alfie (Oxford)

Finally I apologise for the idiots we were sat opposite for the post-match curry, not one of the better sides of student life in Oxford (Jamal's; messy crew date for the people to whom this means something).
OUTFC Secretary

Pete F

Post by Pete F » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:42 pm

This was a fun match - thanks to Warwick for coming down. It was nice to see some new faces. When I arrived there were several people in the room I didn't recognise at all, about half of whom were on my own team.

Quick note to say sorry to Tom for all the hacking. Your 5 was much better than mine so I figured I wouldn't bother with the 3. :wink:

Willy

Post by Willy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:03 pm

This was a really fun match, I think banning the snake made for far more enjoyable games! Thanks to everyone from Oxford for organising and hosting, our freshers had a great time playing and at curry afterwards!

Much as it pains me to say it, Oxford were the better team and definitely deserved the win (though we get the moral victory of being very slightly less of a sausage fest :D ) you guys all played really well, and had some good players I'd never met before.

Looking forward to the next one!