MYC DYP the first. NEED HELP

jinxsi

MYC DYP the first. NEED HELP

Post by jinxsi » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:43 pm

I have now managed to get the powers to be to let all and sundry (even students  :D ) into Mumbles Yacht Club to play table football.  Hence me and Tom C are running a beginners DYP on Sunday 8th.  An event page has been set up here.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/event ... 9886124049

Now, the only problem is I haven't done this before.  I reckon I can register people take their 50p's and draw names out of a hat and print off a double elimination sheet but it cant be as easy as that....can it?  

Please can experienced persons contact me re basic advice and pitfalls.

Also I have no idea how to distribute a prize fund.

The event has only been open a few hours and already there are 19 confirmed so I am wondering if I have to set an upper limit.

How long do events take?  If registration starts at 7.30pm and we start play at 8pm with one table, single game,  first to 5, double elimination, how many people can I have in the competition in order to finish at 11.00pm - in case I have to set a limit.

TIA
Jinxsi

davez

Post by davez » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:15 pm

Dave Morgan once showed me an awesome spreadsheet he had to compute how long it all takes...
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:47 pm

Simon,

Glad to see you guys are getting things going in Wales! To answer some of your questions:

You might find it easier to use a laptop and SPORT software to run your DYP, particularly as it's Double Elimination with charts that can be confusing to read. There is an excellent guide written by Harry Cummings on how to use SPORT on the main Britfoos website. Even using SPORT you will still have to draw the teams randomly either using paper or Excel or another method.

Distribute the prize fund however you feel is best - as you're trying to build the player base with friendly competition it might be worth spreading the money reasonably low down so a lot of people get a taste of "success".

One game to 5 can vary between 2 minutes (a lá Luke Sampson 5-0 Dave Morgan at Liverpool last weekend) to 10 minutes if players are evenly matched. A good estimate would be about 5-7 minutes per game, but then you have to allow for people to get to the table, wrap up (might not be an issue here), finish talking etc. A DE chart of 16 teams (32 people) has 30 games in total so 210 minutes (30 x 7) = 3 1/2 hours.

Steve
Last edited by Steviola on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oatsey

event

Post by Oatsey » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:33 pm

Hi Simon sounds great and amazing you have 19 already!

With just one table i would allow 10 mins per game to allow for getting beers, wraps , being in the loo, two really crap teams who cannot score for ages etc  etc etc

I would run a max 12 team 24 people on a 16 DE chart and have some bye's so less than 30 matches.I would make sure you can over run a bit with the landlord too just in case!

Also i would get as much done beforehand as possible so do a list of names and write them down if known . Personally on teh first event I would use paper charts but if you play with sport a lot first and run a simulation event then would be ok

What is entry fee and then we can advise on pay outs also will you be having trophies?

I can send you a couple of  Tornado foosball supporter T shirts as prizes if you want.

Mogwai

Post by Mogwai » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:37 pm

Steve's best guess with one table is about right. Simon, I'll send the spreadsheet when I get back to my home PC this weekend, it allows you to type in number of entries, format, estimated time per game and number of tables to give you a predicted time.

jinxsi

Post by jinxsi » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Thanks Dave and Dave

at 24 we are full now then.  But I have 2 tables now...its all going a bit fast for me :shock:

entry fee is 50p and I chucked 50.00 in as generous sponsor.

jinxsi

Tomolo

Post by Tomolo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:08 pm

We've just got to wait and see what happens on the day. We could always try and rearrange another day to finish off the tournament if we don't get it completed in time (which is completely a possibility as it looks like there'll be a really high turn out)

Best thing I can say is that we make it as fun as possible to try and get people into it as a sport and see if we can get a regular league going like one of the guys suggested on the event wall.

jinxsi

Post by jinxsi » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:56 am

Hey Tom, Ha, see we have 39 confirmed and 99 maybe's.  This is going to rock.  MYC usually has about 3 members in on sunday nights.  

I think the semi's and finals should be multi table format since we now have a tornado and garlando.

I am going to practice with SPORT and I might even find a mic from somewhere.

jinxsi

CannonBallGuy

Post by CannonBallGuy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:41 am

jinxsi wrote:Hey Tom, Ha, see we have 39 confirmed and 99 maybe's.  This is going to rock.  MYC usually has about 3 members in on sunday nights.  

I think the semi's and finals should be multi table format since we now have a tornado and garlando.

I am going to practice with SPORT and I might even find a mic from somewhere.

jinxsi
Sounds like it is going to be a fantastic event! Best of luck with everything, mate. :)

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:00 pm

Hi

You can download DE charts (or WC group sheets etc) here:
http://www.britfoos.com/Events/RunEvent/Downloads.php

The big spreadsheet has instructions included.

For DE the number of matches = 2X -2 where X is the number of teams.

DE charts are also give a fair draw and results irrespective of the number of teams, so for 17 teams use a 32 chart and most will get first round byes.

Write names down on slips of paper and draw teams from a hat, the first round column has seed numbers (draw order) included, so when you draw Smith & Jones first write them in box 1 (top), then the second team drawn in box 2 (bottom), 3rd in 3 (middle) and so on until you have run out of teams.  Only play yourself if there is an odd number of entries leaving someone partnerless.

Typical game times (excluding change-over, wrapping up etc) is around 5 mins for 1-5, 7 mins for 1-7, 10 mins for 1-9, 15 mins for 2-5, and up to 30 mins for 3/5 depending on how far they go.  Allow 50% extra if playing on both tables (although ITSF go for 2 balls per table and win by 2, it would be worth trying it Tennis tie-break style starting with one ball on the first table and then playing 2 balls on each table in turn thereafter.  I suggest this is only used for winners & losers bracket finals and the grand final.

jinxsi

Post by jinxsi » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:17 pm

thanks Boris thats helpful cheers

jinxsi

Post by jinxsi » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:19 pm

In SPORT.  I have created an event, entered the names and club details.  Then what do you do?

TIA
jinxsi

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:25 pm

Go to the entries for the event and hit the big red exlaimation mark once you're ready to start.

jinxsi

Post by jinxsi » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:24 am

Steviola wrote:Go to the entries for the event and hit the big red exlaimation mark once you're ready to start.
Thanks, simulated event completed.

jinxsi

The Mongoose

Post by The Mongoose » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:38 am

Hi Simon and Tom,

I have just stumbled upon this thread. It may be a bit late now, but have you got room for a few more next Sunday?

I have got a FT (Garlando telescopic), in Swansea University's student bar at the Hendrefoelan student village. It has a smallish but keen group of fans whose eyes lit up when I told them there was a FT in your club. I have not mentioned the competition as you stated you already have enough bodies.

Also, if you don't mind playing on the drunkards (sorry Rob) table, they are able to sign any of you in as guests for a night of foos at the student village. The FT is newish and has magic balls.

Cheers

Geoff

jinxsi

Post by jinxsi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:09 pm

Hi Geoff

Since the potential numbers started getting into the over 30's (currently 50) I started making contingency plans.  Now its a case of the more the merrier.  I am starting play earlier, have 2 tables, (Tornado and garlando wc) a number of young female assistants, and "family" running the bar so regular Sunday 10.30pm closing will likely not happen. :-)

If they cannot sign on with the facebook page then please email me simon@sailwave.com and I will pre register them.

cheers and thanks for your help.
simon jenkins

PS I need to meet up with these guys in any case as I would like to coordinate some sort of regular events etc in the area.

Tomolo

Post by Tomolo » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:15 am

Happy days, Swansea League is starting to sound like a good idea.

jinxsi

Post by jinxsi » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:17 pm

Hi Tom, it certainly is:

Tom, will you be referee and guide people through protocol and rules etc?

Here is the first draft insturctions waddauthink?

-------------------------
Mumbles Yacht Club

Open DYP foosball event    Sunday Feb 8th 2009

Start/Finish
Registration will commence immediately after the international rugby match est.6.30pm and play will start as soon as possible after that.  Play will finish when the tournament is concluded or players are asked to leave the club by the steward because of closing time, in which case the tournament will be concluded the next evening.

Rules:
No spinning (foul)
No slamming the rods (foul)
Centre awarded to opposing team once a goal is scored.
Ball out of play awarded to 2 bar of the other team
Dead ball – upon agreement with the opposing team, awarded to the 2 bar on the side in which the ball went dead.  Re-take centre if the ball goes dead between the 5 bars.
Ready protocol :  When play is re-started after a dead ball, foul or centre, the player with possession says “ready” the opponent nods in agreement etc)
No time outs allowed.

The referee will be available close to both tables most of the time.

Format.
DYP (draw your partner) means you cannot choose who your partner is, teams are drawn at random from the list of entries.
Toss a coin to see who has the first centre.
To win a game you have to be first team to score 5 goals.
If you win you go into the next round in the winners bracket of the competition. If you lose, you go into the looser bracket of the competition.  Within the looser bracket, if you win you move onto the next round of the looser bracket, if you lose you are out of the competition.

The grand final is between the winner of the winners bracket and the winner of the looser bracket.

Time permitting, the final stages will be played in a multi table format using both the Garlando and Tornado.  Winner of the toss also gets to choose which table is played on first.  If after 2 games it is a draw at one game each, then a tie break will ensue over the 2 tables and the winner simply has to be 2 clear points ahead.  Looser of the previous game has kick off.

Prize fund
The prize fund will be entry fees minus table costs plus 50.00.  2 thirds will go to the winners and one third to the runners up.

----------------------------------------------------------

Any other comments would be welcome, bear in mind this is aimed to be  a beginner event.

jinxsi

CannonBallGuy

Post by CannonBallGuy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:53 pm

jinxsi wrote:Hi Tom, it certainly is:

Tom, will you be referee and guide people through protocol and rules etc?

Here is the first draft insturctions waddauthink?

-------------------------
Mumbles Yacht Club

Open DYP foosball event    Sunday Feb 8th 2009

Start/Finish
Registration will commence immediately after the international rugby match est.6.30pm and play will start as soon as possible after that.  Play will finish when the tournament is concluded or players are asked to leave the club by the steward because of closing time, in which case the tournament will be concluded the next evening.

Rules:
No spinning (foul)
No slamming the rods (foul)
Centre awarded to opposing team once a goal is scored.
Ball out of play awarded to 2 bar of the other team
Dead ball – upon agreement with the opposing team, awarded to the 2 bar on the side in which the ball went dead.  Re-take centre if the ball goes dead between the 5 bars.
Ready protocol :  When play is re-started after a dead ball, foul or centre, the player with possession says “ready” the opponent nods in agreement etc)
No time outs allowed.

The referee will be available close to both tables most of the time.

Format.
DYP (draw your partner) means you cannot choose who your partner is, teams are drawn at random from the list of entries.
Toss a coin to see who has the first centre.
To win a game you have to be first team to score 5 goals.
If you win you go into the next round in the winners bracket of the competition. If you lose, you go into the looser bracket of the competition.  Within the looser bracket, if you win you move onto the next round of the looser bracket, if you lose you are out of the competition.

The grand final is between the winner of the winners bracket and the winner of the looser bracket.

Time permitting, the final stages will be played in a multi table format using both the Garlando and Tornado.  Winner of the toss also gets to choose which table is played on first.  If after 2 games it is a draw at one game each, then a tie break will ensue over the 2 tables and the winner simply has to be 2 clear points ahead.  Looser of the previous game has kick off.

Prize fund
The prize fund will be entry fees minus table costs plus 50.00.  2 thirds will go to the winners and one third to the runners up.

----------------------------------------------------------

Any other comments would be welcome, bear in mind this is aimed to be  a beginner event.

jinxsi
Sounds great.

I do think Steviola's advice about spreading the prize fund more is a good idea though.
:)

Wish I could be there... Best of luck!

Christopher Lyall
BFA Regional Rep - South West

Post by Christopher Lyall » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:11 am

Good luck guys. Hope this goes well.
www.fivebar.co.uk - Foosball Tournaments, Leagues, Shop