Want to get stuck in...

CannonBallGuy

Want to get stuck in...

Post by CannonBallGuy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:00 am

This seems to be the forum to say Hi in, so... Hi!
I used to play foosball several times every weekday for a whole yeah - this was while at college. I've been at uni for a year now and desperately missing it.

I'm living in Cardiff, Wales at the minute, but I'm about an equal distance from Newport too - if anyone knows of anywhere in either city (or anywhere in between) where I can get my fix, temporarily at least, that would be fantastic.

I'm also considering purchasing a table. I've always played on Garlando coin-operated tables and liked the style a lot, so I think I'l stick with the Italian style table. I also think I'll avoid the tables from Tesco and Argos, they really don't look like they'll last long.
This pretty much leaves me with just one option - the single UK distributor for Garlando. I'd love one of their G-2000 tables, but that would set me back £350. Even a G-100 is £220. Oh, and both would also cost £45 to deliver.

Guess I just don't think I should spend a months rent (or much more) on something like this.

Not sure why I posted, just wanted to get it off my chest.

Anyway - Hi - I'm looking for foosball tables in Cardiff and Newport.
Should have just said that.  :roll:

- Mac

Craig

Post by Craig » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:25 am

Mac,

Try eBay - tables do pop up from time to time.  But as you noted, delivery costs can be key.

I wish my rent was that low.   :(

jinxsi

Post by jinxsi » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:41 pm

Hi,

I re-started playing fooball again recently and purchased a garlando.  In retrospect I wonder if I should have got a tornado, but its too late now. (I am working on the wife to let me get a tornado in the house as well) One of the advantages of the garlando is that when you move onto a tornado everything is easier...so far.

I am in Swansea and have been desperately looking for like minded foosballers in the area, so far without luck.  If you ever fancy a trip down this way I have a garlando in the house and there is a brand new tornado in the local sailing club which is only a few minutes walk away.  We could play a few hours on each.  let me know

cheers

jinxsi

Christopher Lyall
BFA Regional Rep - South West

Post by Christopher Lyall » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:01 pm

Take a few trips to Hereford a few times to see what you think of Tornados. PM Benjamin Mason (aka Mase), about this. He's everywhere on the forums. You should find him.
www.fivebar.co.uk - Foosball Tournaments, Leagues, Shop

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:38 pm

If you fancy a go on a tornado and a trip to hereford, feel free to give me a PM to sort something out. I'll be in the hereford area for the next few months.

Chaz

Re: Want to get stuck in...

Post by Chaz » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:06 pm

CannonBallGuy wrote:This pretty much leaves me with just one option - the single UK distributor for Garlando. I'd love one of their G-2000 tables, but that would set me back £350. Even a G-100 is £220. Oh, and both would also cost £45 to deliver.
Consider how much you spend player. I was easily putting £1-2 into the college table every day. Over the time at uni you'll save this cost plus you'll probably have a better quality table, and you can do lots of stuff you couldn't do in a pub e.g. practice, 4ball...

At the end of the day you can probably recoup alot of the cost by selling the table on...

CannonBallGuy

Post by CannonBallGuy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:52 pm

Thanks for the kind welcome and advice, folks. It's great to actually speak to people who understand what it's like to want to play foosball. Anyone else I speak to just thinks I'm mad or larking about!

Trips anywhere, Swansea or Hereford are tricky. I don't drive and busses and trains can be expensive.

What are tornado style tables like compared to the Garlandos?
Our college had two of the really nice coin-operated Garlandos (I'm pretty sure one was the Olympic Outdoor model and the other was quite possibly the standard/ Olympic model) which I thoroughly enjoyed.
I haven't played any other tables though, so can't compare.
The Garlandos seemed to be slow enough that you could get pretty good control on the ball if you wanted, pass it around a lot to line up the best shot - but still fast enough that with some skill, you could get the ball in the goal before the defender had chance to blink. :)

The ebay advice is simple yet so great. I'm actually a little bit of an ebay addict - can't believe I hadn't even considered it. I'll certainly check it out.

Jinxsi, what are the chances of the wife letting you have a tornado to replace the Garlando?
I'd be happy to buy a second-hand table providing it had been well looked after, of course.

As for trying to explain away the seemingly high price of a new table, you're right, Chaz.
I was probably putting about £1 into the college tables 5 days a week. On that basis, I must have spent about £220 in the year that I played.

And I also hadn't thought of the possibility of reselling the table either, yet another excellent point.

Pete F

Post by Pete F » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:48 pm

CannonBallGuy wrote:What are tornado style tables like compared to the Garlandos?
Youtube is a good resource for seeing what the tables play like.

The most obvious difference is that the Tornado goalie rod has three men and there are no ramps in the corners.  Beginners on Tornado often concede a lot of own goals bouncing in off these men (often known as the Neville brothers as a result ;) ).

Generally speaking, Tornado tables are much sturdier.  The rods are heavier and the ball will roll more predictably so keeping possession is easier.  You don't get as many sloppy goals (random shots bouncing in off walls etc.) as you do on a Garlando.

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:54 pm

IMHO Garlando and Bonzini tables are a lot more fun than Tornado tables.
Still going....

Rob Davey

Post by Rob Davey » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:01 pm

That's because you are crap on Tornado  :lol:

Rob

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:19 pm

and garlando and bonzini :-)
Still going....

Rob Davey

Post by Rob Davey » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:29 pm

Well we all know that Dan, but just in case Mac doesn't

Yes you are very crappy on all tables except the ones in Argos.

Rob

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:55 pm

Not true.

I'm rubbish on those as well
Still going....

CannonBallGuy

Post by CannonBallGuy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:06 am

Thanks for yet more advice, I'm guessing I should try to track down a local Tornado table - let me know if you're aware of one in Cardiff or Newport. :)

Rob Davey

Post by Rob Davey » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:39 am

Sorry Mac I think jinxsi is the only one with a Tornado, as far as I know anyway.

Rob

CannonBallGuy

Post by CannonBallGuy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:11 pm

jinxsi wrote:I am in Swansea and have been desperately looking for like minded foosballers in the area, so far without luck.  If you ever fancy a trip down this way I have a garlando in the house and there is a brand new tornado in the local sailing club which is only a few minutes walk away.  We could play a few hours on each.  let me know

cheers

jinxsi
Hey jinxsi, thanks again for the kind offer.

I've managed to persuade a friend of mine back from when we used to play everyday in college to drive me over to Swansea next week. He'll want to play too, of course, so I've also invited another friend from college (so as we can play doubles and nobody is left out :) ) who I expect will get back to me tomorrow on whether he'll be tagging along or not.

I hope that's ok with you - three public-schooled 19 year olds..?

Also, what days and times are best for you? Finding a good time may be tricky as my driver mate recently got into the GB rowing team and has to train some ridiculous amount of time, like, 30 hours a day.  :roll:

davez

Post by davez » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:37 pm

Hmmm..he must have quite a pull-shot I reckon!

CannonBallGuy

Post by CannonBallGuy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:00 pm

davez wrote:Hmmm..he must have quite a pull-shot I reckon!
He has muscles bigger than my head, I swear it. So, yeah, he can hit the ball pretty damn fast.
And sure, by the end of the year we were playing, we were all pulling off the push and pull shots well. :)

Daren't say how much skill I've got left after a year of not playing though. :(

Christopher Lyall
BFA Regional Rep - South West

Post by Christopher Lyall » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:31 am

CannonBallGuy wrote:Daren't say how much skill I've got left after a year of not playing though. :(
It'll be there. Skill doesn't leave you, it just burrows down inside of you when you don't use it in a while. All it'll need is some digging to get back up.
www.fivebar.co.uk - Foosball Tournaments, Leagues, Shop

CannonBallGuy

Post by CannonBallGuy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:19 am

Hope so. It'd suck to start playing like I did when I started...

Guess we'll find out next week sometime if Jinxsi is happy with that. :)