university society

Chaz

Post by Chaz » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:44 pm

Doshin wrote:
Teeb wrote:Moderator note - Picture removed from thread - please do not clutter up sensible posts with in-jokes or silly comments.
I'm pretty sure that's not me... nice dress though.
Te he very clever phil ;)
Last edited by Chaz on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:23 pm

An Open Top table works fine when it is in a supervised area, otherwise the goals get stuffed and people try to play for free (and usually succeed - the perpetrators are generally the 'regulars' too).

I can get you a glass top WC-spec table (Olympic Silver - after Gatwick tourney) which would suit either location.

As for funding tables, if you take one of mine for starters at zero cost, you can save up and purchase a second table with your cut, and/or buy me out after 12 months or so, taking 50% rather than 10% (with the other 50% going to the venue), or I could provide a second/third table under the same arrangements if things go well.

That offer applies to any uni society, not just Edinburgh by the way ;-)

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:20 pm

Edinburgh-Scottish foosers

I will be up in Scotland on Sunday night (28 Aug) and will head towards Rush about 8-9pm.

Anyone interested in a session, or with alternative venues etc please ring/text 07767-307579 - and post details here.

Boris

edinburghfoos

Post by edinburghfoos » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:20 pm

gutted i can't make it on sunday, but we'll meet in the future no doubt.

Luckily enough one of the union execs has been pushing for a table football in the old union building (oldest in the country i mite add) along with a air hockey table but thats not too important. This will probably be my venue, but he had planned to get a table through KE automatics (Bloop that) so keep me informed of when your next in edinburgh/near so I can maybe arrange something.

I think for the first tournament i'll advertise at the freshers fayre and have a tournament later that day on the architects table hopefully, then i'll keep interest by having the weekly meets at Rush (since it seems recommended) until we get our (your) own table. I'd like to see the union atmosphere before i finalise glass top or open, but obviously i'd prefer open.

finally, do you think edinburghfoos.co.uk or edinfoos.co.uk or any other suggestions that sound better. i get stressed over little things like that.

=) enjoy boris on sunday everyone lucky enough to challenge him
i'l do all this later

fool_on_the_hill

Post by fool_on_the_hill » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:14 pm

edinburghfoos wrote:I think for the first tournament i'll advertise at the freshers fayre and have a tournament later that day on the architects table hopefully, then i'll keep interest by having the weekly meets at Rush (since it seems recommended) until we get our (your) own table.
Sounds like a pretty good plan. Do everything you can to make the first tournament run smoothly, it will make a huge difference.
edinburghfoos wrote:I'd like to see the union atmosphere before i finalise glass top or open, but obviously i'd prefer open.
I should actually elaborate on what Phil said. Our open top table on the Warwick campus is in the imaginatively named 'the bar' (which is actually run by the university, not the union). The important thing is that it is a bar, and not a nightclub; it closes at about eleven. The union itself *is* a night club (amongst many other things), closes at 1 or 2 am, and I would not put an open top table in there. There have been glass-top tables (not ours) in there and they've been wrecked. If you are going to put one in the union, try to find a more sedate part of it. For example, at Warwick, most of the union is a night club but the top floor is a sort of fake pub thing. It's still open just as late as the rest of the union (and accessible from it, so there will be plenty of drunken revellers), but it has a bit of a quieter atmosphere, so a table might be a bit safer.
edinburghfoos wrote:finally, do you think edinburghfoos.co.uk or edinfoos.co.uk or any other suggestions that sound better. i get stressed over little things like that.
I would say edinburghfoos.co.uk, unless 'edin' is a fairly common abbreviation (and I'm not aware of it being so).

Teeb

Post by Teeb » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:23 am

edinburghfoos wrote: finally, do you think edinburghfoos.co.uk or edinfoos.co.uk or any other suggestions that sound better.
if your the first place to set up in scotland you might be able to steal scotfoos.co.uk
not sure how legit that is tho

Chaz

Post by Chaz » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:01 am

Teeb wrote:if your the first place to set up in scotland you might be able to steal scotfoos.co.uk
If you do this you maybe under pressure to cover within your site at least the locations of other foosing venues within scotland.

edinburghfoos

Post by edinburghfoos » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:21 pm

yea chaz, i think teeb should stick to maths and playing foos rather than suggesting things and posting pics of his mum.

edinburghfoos.co.uk will be the site. it'l be up soon, but won't have major work and information until i find someone to be webmaster =) i might buy scotfoos.co.uk for the future though, just like that person who bought the name 21st century fox.

my front pin push sucks, ants could push the ball faster.
i'l do all this later

Jonathan May
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan May » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:08 pm

Chaz wrote:
Teeb wrote:if your the first place to set up in scotland you might be able to steal scotfoos.co.uk
If you do this you maybe under pressure to cover within your site at least the locations of other foosing venues within scotland.
Why? Might the Scottish Foosball Association come along and try to claim it?

Chaz

Post by Chaz » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:33 am

ACukFreak wrote:
Chaz wrote:
Why? Might the Scottish Foosball Association come along and try to claim it?
No but I think using the name "scotfoos" suggests you represent Scotland, not just Edinburgh Uni.

Teeb

Post by Teeb » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:33 pm

edinburghfoos wrote:yea chaz, i think teeb should stick to maths and playing foos rather than suggesting things and posting pics of his mum.
and i think edinburghfoos should stick to dropping out of uni's, and then trying to set up table football societies in his next uni, rather than insulting people

scotfoos was a perfectly valid suggestion.

El Capitan

Post by El Capitan » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:54 pm

Banter in the Warzone please, not here.

edinburghfoos

Post by edinburghfoos » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:22 pm

soz john, K my site/fliers/posters have all come along swimmingly, but do i have for permission to have a link on my home page for BFA ? Just like warwicks really.

well im not really askin, more telling.
i'l do all this later

El Capitan

Post by El Capitan » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:13 pm

the more hits britfoos gets the better.

When the website is up and running fully, let us know and we can link it back.

(email the webmaster when you're ready)

fool_on_the_hill

Post by fool_on_the_hill » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:08 pm

I see that http://www.edinburghfoos.co.uk/ is now up, and looking pretty impressive too. Keep us posted on how the society fares after term gets underway.

ashyc23

Post by ashyc23 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:23 pm

HWFoos has now been set up. - http://hw-foosball-soc.byethost5.com. Time for some inter university competition!

Dancing Defence

Post by Dancing Defence » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:05 pm

Excellent work guys. Good to see some more foos pockets developing.
Naeem

ashyc23

Post by ashyc23 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:01 pm

edinburghfoos

Post by edinburghfoos » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:22 pm

nice work at HW, I could definitely organise a university team, of 10 or so? more? less? A and B teams ?

Are you using your own Garlando then Ash? I'm waiting for a reply from uni concerning our society table, but we could play at your venue from now i guess. Say the word and an email will be sent.

Nice doing business with you.
i'l do all this later