Colchester DYPs?

Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambs, Beds, Herts, Essex
The Doctor
BFA Chairman

Colchester DYPs?

Post by The Doctor » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:04 pm

Am a day away from finishing my teaching course, which means that I will probably be at a loose end from hereontilXmas. Colchester has two decent blocky Garlando venues ('Hole in the Wall' pub now has one - for the venue list) and am thinking of approaching them with a DYP idea.

Any tips regarding DYP formats/dealing with landlords?

Might also suggest a beat-the-expert type thing to get things off the ground.

Mase

Post by Mase » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:27 pm

who you going to get as your expert???  :lol:
ill be too busy in the intensive care unit  :lol:

Seriously best thing you can do is say to landlord that you are willing to do all the work, with posters and the like ask him to sponsor £2pound a man as they will easily drink more than that and then you can advertise prize money for free entry. Assuming you can put the table on free play.

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:31 pm

Andrei let me know more than a week in advance and I'll be there. I've seen a table (or was it 2) up at the uni, so might be worth sticvking a little poster on this advertising the DYP.

The Doctor
BFA Chairman

Post by The Doctor » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:40 pm

Messiah wrote:Andrei let me know more than a week in advance and I'll be there. I've seen a table (or was it 2) up at the uni, so might be worth sticvking a little poster on this advertising the DYP.
Excellent! I'm thinking of having one on a Thursday or Sunday evening (next week?- will confirm). I'm assuming that landlords would prefer to try to liven up one of the less frequented nights. You can kip round ours if you like, too.

There is one table at the uni now - a delapidated FAS with a handle missing. I don't think anybody plays there anymore. There used to be a bunch of Greeks who played but I managed to kill their machismo-driven enthusiasm for the game by thrashing them all one evening.

Good idea re poster - will do this. Also may inform the local sixth-forms - I know that my old school has a table.

The Doctor
BFA Chairman

Post by The Doctor » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:42 pm

Mase wrote:who you going to get as your expert???  
Mase - when are we going to learn to live in peace?  :twisted:

I've been a 'beat-the-expert' before - at Chelsea FC with Richard T some years back!

Mase

Post by Mase » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:09 pm

we are living in peace i think me mentioning my attendance in ICU wards suggests i was playing.  8)

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:07 pm

P-A-D-D-Y wrote:Excellent! I'm thinking of having one on a Thursday or Sunday evening (next week?- will confirm). I'm assuming that landlords would prefer to try to liven up one of the less frequented nights. You can kip round ours if you like, too.
Accom not a problem. Well probably not; when I say "I'm coming to colchester on Sunday, oh BTW am out playing table football all evening, there may be a minor hiccup in my plans. Can't do this thursday coming definitely.

The Doctor
BFA Chairman

Post by The Doctor » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:35 pm

Update: Looks like there will be at least one Colchester DYP before Christmas.

The Hole in the Wall are very keen to hold one and the landlord is in the process of finding out whether he can put the table on freeplay for the competition.

The Foresters Arms aren't so keen about the game (landlord wants to get rid of the table - not used enough/too noisy when it is used) but aren't averse to the holding a one-off DYP afore the holidays.

Provisional info only, but things look promising.  :D

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:51 pm

Let me know....

DAN

The Doctor
BFA Chairman

Post by The Doctor » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:50 pm

Will do, Dan :)