Newbie seeks tornado venue Beds/Cambs!

Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambs, Beds, Herts, Essex
kit

Post by kit » Mon May 02, 2005 11:11 pm

snakecharmer wrote:I actually wouldn't sell it to anyone, well, maybe Colm.
Sure, fair enough - well if anyone hears of anything would appreciate the tip as I say...

Think the appeal of having a table at home for me is also the opportunity for having great spur of the moment sessions with whichever mates are round at the time... to a point, I don't really care who I play - I just love playing!  Doing a restoration would be amazing - hard work i'm sure but so worth it!

Anyway - cheers!  Maybe see some of u around Cambridge...

nfm24

Post by nfm24 » Tue May 03, 2005 12:00 am

If you can play a first-to-8 match without scoring 4 own-goals, then you're better than my doubles partner last week. In Cambridge there are very few tables in pubs since space is at a premium. There aren't even that many pool tables.  The main action is in the colleges, so you would be better off arranging a meeting with some uni players so you can get to the table without needing magic keys or climbing gates.

El Capitan

Post by El Capitan » Tue May 03, 2005 12:03 am

jtucker wrote:you can learn a lot through solo practice
heh heh...

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Tue May 03, 2005 5:26 pm

ACukFreak wrote:Oi. Watch your mouth.
I wasn't trying to imply that you're all rubbish (although that's clearly true, it being Cambridge) - what I was saying is that you improve most by playing against people who are much better than you are.

The Doctor
BFA Chairman

Post by The Doctor » Tue May 03, 2005 5:58 pm

robmoss2k wrote:
ACukFreak wrote:Oi. Watch your mouth.
I wasn't trying to imply that you're all rubbish (although that's clearly true, it being Cambridge) - what I was saying is that you improve most by playing against people who are much better than you are.
Ah, but that betrays your ignorance of Vygotsky's 'Zone of Proximal Development' theory, in which Vygotsky states that it is best to learn off someone who is just a bit better than you - to prevent your becoming neither complacent nor disheartened.

nfm24

Post by nfm24 » Tue May 03, 2005 7:47 pm

Andrei's almost right. You should play people who are a bit better than you to learn stuff, and then play people who are worse than you to practice destroying them with your new found skills. And then go back and play the people you first played, and if you can beat them, challenge an even better player. Etc.

Dancing Defence

Post by Dancing Defence » Tue May 03, 2005 9:43 pm

Hi,

When I'm not in Oxford, my home is in Dunstable, Bedfordshire. I haven't seen any Tornado tables in Bedfordshire, but there is a Garlando at the bowling alley next to the Leisure Centre. I'll contact you when I'm next there.
Naeem

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Wed May 04, 2005 5:15 pm

But Vygotsky was a moron. He neglected to mention that this only really applies in anything where bad habits are easy to kick. Do you think Rob got good by playing Boris? :P