Newbie seeks tornado venue Beds/Cambs!

Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambs, Beds, Herts, Essex
kit

Newbie seeks tornado venue Beds/Cambs!

Post by kit » Mon May 02, 2005 12:30 am

Hi, apologies if this has been done before...

I'm a newish player looking for a tornado table venue anywhere Cambridge / Bedford way - have found a few average Garlando tables nearby but after playing on a superb tornado in Exeter at uni sticky pub Garlandos just aren't the same!

Since i'm quite rusty just looking for a nice friendly local venue - any ideas?

Ideally i'd love a tornado at home but unfortunately the budget can't stretch to that at the moment  :cry: - one day!

Cheers - any help appreciated!

nfm24

Post by nfm24 » Mon May 02, 2005 1:51 am

None I know of in Cambridge.

Ed Bolton

Come to Cambridge

Post by Ed Bolton » Mon May 02, 2005 11:56 am

Though there aren't any Tornado's in Cambridge, you're perfectly welcome to brave the FABI in the Downing college student bar.

We're looking at trying to get a WC Garlando in Cambridge, which although not Tornado, is along similar lines. Hopefully when we do we'll have weekly gatherings which we'd be very keen on getting non-students to attend (haven't asked anyone else about that but I think non-students are more likely to turn up week in/ week out)

Whatever, there will be a Cambridge uni tournament in a month and a half that is open to local players so you'd be more than welcome to attend that if you PM me your e-mail address so I can put you on our mailing list

Jonathan may
BFA Committee Observer

Re: Come to Cambridge

Post by Jonathan may » Mon May 02, 2005 12:00 pm

Ed Bolton wrote:Though there aren't any Tornado's in Cambridge, you're perfectly welcome to brave the FABI in the Downing college student bar.
Always with a sense of humour, eh? That table is unquestionably the worst I have ever played on. Actually, I can't IMAGINE anything worse.

Jon

nfm24

Post by nfm24 » Mon May 02, 2005 12:28 pm

There is also a Lowen table at the King St. Run pub. Its potentially the most Tornado-like in town.

PS Jon, I see you haven't been to Homerton then.

Jonathan may
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan may » Mon May 02, 2005 1:46 pm

nfm24 wrote:There is also a Lowen table at the King St. Run pub. Its potentially the most Tornado-like in town.
It's also dreadful, about 3 or 4 men are loose, the bars are bent and stiff and there is spillage all over the table.

Jon

Jonathan may
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan may » Mon May 02, 2005 1:46 pm

nfm24 wrote:PS Jon, I see you haven't been to Homerton then.
Far too far away.

The Doctor
BFA Chairman

Post by The Doctor » Mon May 02, 2005 2:06 pm

ACukFreak wrote:
Far too far away.
What's with Homerton?

(Apart from the fact that our beloved freeplay FAS has gone for ever - any
chance of installing a WC Garlando here?)

Jonathan may
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan may » Mon May 02, 2005 2:58 pm

the Doctor wrote:(Apart from the fact that our beloved freeplay FAS has gone for ever - anychance of installing a WC Garlando here?)
If you have no table and people who would use it, Boris might install one if you PM him. He's volunteered in the past. WRT who maintains it/owns it etc you'd need to negotiate, but if CUTFS needs to take some responsibility of it, I'm sure they would be willing. I know Homerton isn't central but the focus surely is on developing the game - if one WC table invades Cambridge there is a good chance more will follow...

Jon

Ed Bolton

Table

Post by Ed Bolton » Mon May 02, 2005 4:54 pm

Yeah, the table's awful- hopefully I won't lose singles 8-0 when we play on a proper table this Wednesday- though I think I'd have to win both singles rubbers if we were to win the match, and that might be a bit of an ask

Shovo

Re: Table

Post by Shovo » Mon May 02, 2005 7:16 pm

Ed Bolton wrote:rubbers
Hehe.

nfm24

Post by nfm24 » Mon May 02, 2005 8:27 pm

the Doctor wrote:
ACukFreak wrote:
Far too far away.
What's with Homerton? (Apart from the fact that our beloved freeplay FAS has gone for ever - any chance of installing a WC Garlando here?)
Homerton should use Jesus as a temporary home venue, since its pinny.
Jon May wrote:Far too far away.
Lazy bugger... TGM play all games away. In fact when we went to Homerton, Santaccio thought it was so bad he refused to leave until he'd pissed on the front gate.

kit

Post by kit » Mon May 02, 2005 9:46 pm

Cheers for replies guys, not sure i'm really up to uni tournament at the mo, maybe when i've got a bit of practice in  :?

Would be interested in the WC Garlando when it arrives - is this the one with the round instead of blocky feet?

If anyone hears of any tornados for sale around Cambridge area would appreciate the tip - rougher (and cheaper!) the better, wouldn't mind trying my hand at a restoration...

Will try the other suggestions - if all else fails, good excuse for a pub crawl!

snakecharmer

Post by snakecharmer » Mon May 02, 2005 10:02 pm

Hmmm, the infamous table 4 springs to mind!!

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Mon May 02, 2005 10:22 pm

Charmian, you can practice on your own all you want, but you'll never really improve without playing against better players. A Cambridge uni tournament is an excellent opportunity for you as long as you have at least some semblance of control and the ability to hit the ball towards the goal when it's on your 3-bar, and one which I suggest you don't pass up.

kit

Post by kit » Mon May 02, 2005 10:29 pm

'infamous' table 4?  Saw mention of it on the Tornado for sale thread - but assumed it would be stitched up by now if it was available... tell me more...!

Rob, sure I see where you're coming from... suppose can't hurt to find out the details  :wink:  might surprise myself!

JT

Post by JT » Mon May 02, 2005 10:32 pm

snakecharmer wrote:Hmmm, the infamous table 4 springs to mind!!
Selling it well there Dave!

snakecharmer

Post by snakecharmer » Mon May 02, 2005 10:42 pm

I actually wouldn't sell it to anyone, well, maybe Colm. You can learn huge amounts on your own. All the techicalities, shooting, passing, blocking (yes really) and ball control. Attend a tournament as soon as you can. It is THE place to learn. Most experienced players will take the time to show you what you need to know.

Jonathan may
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan may » Mon May 02, 2005 10:47 pm

robmoss2k wrote:A Cambridge uni tournament is an excellent opportunity for you as long as you have at least some semblance of control and the ability to hit the ball towards the goal when it's on your 3-bar, and one which I suggest you don't pass up.
Oi. Watch your mouth.

JT

Post by JT » Mon May 02, 2005 10:55 pm

As Dave says, you can learn a lot through solo practice. Going to tournaments gives you with the ideas and the motivation, while the home practice lets you perfect the execution. There's no shame in getting your ass kicked at a tournament, consider it a learning experience!