Cambridge Lent Tournament

Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambs, Beds, Herts, Essex
Steve McAuley

Cambridge Lent Tournament

Post by Steve McAuley » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:14 pm

I thought I'd let everyone know about the internal Cambridge tournament we held yesterday in Robinson bar. We had doubles and singles competitions, with both being 5 rounds of Swiss with the top 6 going through the the knockouts. Oh, and the event was held on four blocky-feet Garlando tables.

Doubles:
1.  Andrei Russell-Gebbett & Gianni Tallarita
2.  Chris Roberts & Jon De Souza
3= Jon May & Patrick Emerson
3= Chris Bethell & Tim Hughes
5= Beltran Borja Fiz-Pontiveros & Ed Bolton
5= Jon King & James O'Connell

Singles:
1.  Jon May
2.  Andrei Russell-Gebbett
3= Chris Bethell
3= Beltran Borja Fiz-Pontiveros
5= Neil Morrison
5= James O'Connell

Thanks to Ed Bolton for organising the event, to Robinson bar for hosting us and Sound & Vision for providing the tables.

Overall it was an awesome day and I think everyone had a good time. Some high-quality games too, the singles final was definitely worth watching as Jon edged out Andrei 9-8.

The only downside was the fact that I managed to finish seventh in both events, just outside the knockouts :(
Last edited by Steve McAuley on Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ed Bolton

Worth watching the singles final?

Post by Ed Bolton » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:18 pm

I'm sure the singles final was fantastic but unfortunately I was being kept occupied by the glass cover that had just shattered in my hands so I missed it...

Particular mention should be made of James O'Connell and Jon King who won their Swiss doubles game against Chris Bethell and Tim Hughes 7-5 having been 5-2 down

The lowlight was using a fair number of my 550 20ps in m final Swiss game as the table I was playing on was only giving out 2 balls at a time. Naturally I lost on sweatball

Jonathan May
BFA Committee Observer

Re: Cambridge Lent Tournament

Post by Jonathan May » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:27 pm

Steve McAuley wrote:Some high-quality games too, the singles final was definitely worth watching as Jon edged out Andrei 9-8.
Edged? Said who? I just didn't want to humiliate him, so I let him get a few goals...

Jon

The Doctor
BFA Chairman

Re: Cambridge Lent Tournament

Post by The Doctor » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:43 am

ACukFreak wrote:
Steve McAuley wrote:Some high-quality games too, the singles final was definitely worth watching as Jon edged out Andrei 9-8.
Edged? Said who? I just didn't want to humiliate him, so I let him get a few goals...

Jon
Heh heh - the final was well won - I was having problems defending
your snake and a typically powerful 2 bar shot sealed the win, annoyingly.

Jonathan May
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan May » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:17 am

Yep was a great game. I've never seen Andrei square so many push-kicks between my defenders. Usually they spray nicely into the far post, so you don't have to cover much. But he was squaring them off into the middle and the first one was a *short*. No way...

Next challenge: beat him on a WC table. (Other than the walkover I have against him in Doubles at Reading cos he left). And in the far-distant future, no doubt, beat him on a French table.  :twisted:

Wooohooo. The tournament was fun.

Jon