New poster, which table should I buy?

Tables to buy or sell / Table upgrades / Table parts, specifications etc.
Cling Bak

New poster, which table should I buy?

Post by Cling Bak » Thu May 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Hello all.

I am new to this scene and I'm looking to buy a table. I love playing and I've been getting more and more into it recently; nothing serious, but I have always enjoyed the game and I want to play a lot more now, practice and improve.

I've read this forum and in particular Boris' guide on eBay which is invaluable.

In terms of budget, I'm not a bottomless pit of cash by any means but I'm of the opinion that it might be something worth investing in, especially if I enjoy it so much.

I'm torn between Garlando's G-500 - it's more widely available to buy second hand on eBay at a good price and seems like a sturdy piece of kit. Or Garlando's Pro Champion - little more brand new but harder to come by second hand and clearly better control and playing surface.

Am I crazy shelling out circa £500 on my first table?! Any other things I should be looking at?

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Re: New poster, which table should I buy?

Post by willhawkes » Fri May 16, 2014 3:11 pm

Hi Richard,

Sounds like you've got the bug... in which case I'd recommend going all out for the Pro Champion, which is an ITSF table, rather than the G500.

Come and follow the British Foosball Association on Facebook for regular updates as to what's going on.

And we have a big tournament coming up next month in Gloucester, it would be great to see you there, you'll have a great time and learn loads too.

Cheers,

Will

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Sun May 18, 2014 10:05 pm

I disagree with will here. Buy a second hand g500. If you use it a lot at home and it is actually a good investment then yiu can sell it for basically the same price and buy a pro champion or other tournament quality table then. There is a danger you buy something that is expensive and doesn't hold its value on resale.
Still going....

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Tue May 20, 2014 6:03 pm

You could always buy the very first Garlando World Champion imported into the UK: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321407776054? - but be quick as the auction ends tomorrow afternoon! Own a piece of history!!!

Cling Bak

Post by Cling Bak » Mon May 26, 2014 11:47 am

Thanks for the advice guys.

Unfortunately I missed that World Champion listing! I'm going to keep my eyes out for a G500 second hand, as per Messiah's advice. My worry is paying a lot for something that doesn't hold value and that doesn't get the use I'd like it to - though I fully expect to play it as much as I can.

What would you say is a reasonable price for a good condition second hand G500?

Cling Bak

Post by Cling Bak » Mon May 26, 2014 11:56 am

I've seen listed the G500 Evolution:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garlando-G500 ... 35d70b1959

What's the difference between this and the regular G500? How different is the G200?

Also, this G500 has through rods but some superficial damage to the cabinet:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garlando-Tabl ... 1e8bb8dcc8

Can this be recovered? The starting price is certainly appealing.

I've also seen this one listed:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Football-tabl ... 3ce1beba4c

I can't work out which model it is, but the seller told me its 152cm in length.

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Mon May 26, 2014 7:12 pm

I have never seen a g200 but think they are a bit more lightweight than the g500. Rileys tables are usually a high quality table (world champ spec i think). I cant tell from the brief look i had of the rileys table on ebay but i would be tempted to bid on that given the starting price.

If not or the price goes up to much the g500 you linked to looks a good bet. Not sure what the evolution spec difference is though (and can't see reference to the evolution t when i look at the ebay listing). Maybe google will help! I would not care about the cosmetic damage although if it is to be the centre piece of your living room maybe you will!

I would be tempted by £100 to 200 on a second hand g500 and £200 to 400 for a second hand world champ spec table. The range is as price depends on condition - e.g. a few new rods could set you back a lot. You may not get the first ones you bid on at these prices, but sooner or later something suitable should come up.

Btw others may disagree with my price guesstimates above.
Still going....