Is this table worth it?

Tables to buy or sell / Table upgrades / Table parts, specifications etc.
davelc

Is this table worth it?

Post by davelc » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:07 pm

I am looking to get a foosball table for work and have a budget of £300, this is on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251397123151
Would this be good enough?

We play a lot and some players have some pretty table breaking shots!

Oatsey

Re: Is this table worth it?

Post by Oatsey » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:37 pm

Personally. I would say not. Have a look for a good second hand garlando.

davelc

Post by davelc » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:52 pm

Ok, cool.
Which specific Garlando would you recommend. I used to own a WC but I assume they will be too much now

Matt Price
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Price » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:39 pm

From past experience, Garlando Pro Champions can occasionally come up second hand for around £300. I think outside of that you're probably looking at non-tournament spec tables which are reasonable quality for home play - G500 might come in for around that or lower second hand as they are about £450-500 new from the looks of things.

A second hand Coperto might occasionally come up on ebay for £300, but would likely need some work done to it - and are heavy to transport so that might push up the cost. . .

Boris might have some suggestions. . .

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:56 pm

I would echo what Dave and Matt have said, for the budget you can pick up a secondhand Garlando which will stand up to abuse much better than the table shown. The table shown may appear sturdy but the build quality of such tables is usually poor and the parts (bearings etc) tend to fail, and can be difficult to replace.

A Garlando Pro Champion went on E-bay a couple of weeks ago for under £200, there is one on there now asking for a starting bid of £240 (with ITSF through rods) and would be worth bidding on up to £300 or so, and even new they are going for £525.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331164758102?

A secondhand glass top will almost certainly have telescopic rods, the Olympic Silver has been around since 2005 and should have short springs (essential to trap the ball against the side-wall) and the rounded ITSF player feet which improve ball control. Older Garlando coin ops (briarwood cabinet and some red-white-blues) are likely to have long springs and block feet which are OK if you just want to play for fun, but would need more costly adapting if you wanted to play seriously. These can go for anywhere between around £100 and £400, but be careful what you buy.

If the rods and legs are removed from the table cabinet a Garlando will usually fit in a medium-sized estate car or MPV.

davelc

Post by davelc » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:53 am

Great, thanks all!
I saw that on ebay yesterday after your replies and am keeping an eye on it. I'd love to get more budget but to even getting the £300 max I have was difficult enough.
Really appreciate your help as I was very close to getting that cheap one!

Mase

Post by Mase » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:20 pm

You could well be better off saving up an extra £50-£75.

There have been a few second hand Fireball tables and Tornado tables on here for 350-400.

Regards,

Ben

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:47 pm

There have been 3x Fireball tables come up in the past 2 years (one a couple of weeks ago) and it is a long time since I saw a Tornado on Ebay, you could be waiting a long time...

davelc

Post by davelc » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:44 pm

Just to say I won the garlando on ebay that Boris pointed me to for £250.
Well chuffed, now I just have to work out how to get it from Salisbury to Paddington!

Cheers again
Dave

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:18 pm

To fit the table inside a car (medium-sized estate or large hatchback) you need to remove the legs (6mm allen key) and the rods - knock the handles off with a mallet, unscrew the outer screws of the bearings with a crosshead screwdriver and remove bearings and assemblies, then push the rods through the handle-side until they clear the inside of the cabinet and remove. Use a coin bag for the screws and a thicker carrier bag for the leg bolts, bearings, covers and handles. The whole assembly or disassembly takes around half an hour. You need at least 2x people (or a sack truck) to move the cabinet.

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:56 pm

Boris wrote:You need at least 2x people (or a sack truck) to move the cabinet.
Or one Mark Williams.