BFA League Championship - South West Region

Dorset, Wilts, Bristol, Somerset, Gloucs, Devon, Cornwall
Boris
BFA Treasurer

BFA League Championship - South West Region

Post by Boris » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:51 pm

The British Foosball Association are proud to announce the inaugural season of the BFA League Championships, kicking off in November 2012.

This is a team competition for playing venues and clubs. This new competition provides regular nights of fun and foosball with home and away league matches against other teams in your region. The best teams will qualify for the National Championships at the conclusion of the season. This is the competition which the UK has been waiting for!!

The BFA League Championship is open to players of all abilities, new players can take advantage of the handicapping system to allow a level playing field and give everyone a fair chance to win their games. Provided away teams can be accommodated, teams from any type of venue can participate (e.g. pub, club, college or university, workplace, sports centre or even private dwelling).

Teams consist of between 4 and 8 players from a squad of up to 10x players, affiliated to a BFA registered club. Clubs can enter more than one team into the competition. Teams will be allocated into local or regional leagues of usually comprising between 4 and 6 teams. Matches consist of 4x singles games and 6x doubles games.

So get together with your foosballing buddies, start a club and sign up a team today!

Registration for the League Championship is now open, and remains open until 6pm on Saturday 27th October 2012. Teams will be drawn into leagues on 28-1-12 and the fixture schedule announced on or before 31st October 2012.

Full details can be found on the BFA website here:
http://www.britfoos.com/bfa-league
Frequently Asked Questions - http://www.britfoos.com/bfa-league/faqs
Club Registration - http://www.britfoos.com/node/add/club
Team Registration - http://www.britfoos.com/bfa-league/registration

Registration closes at 6pm on Saturday 27th October - Teams will be allocated into leagues on Sunday 28th October with fixtures published on or before 31st October.

How to enter
All teams must be affiliated to a BFA Registered Club and all players must be members of that club. If you are not yet a member of a club, either join one or start your own club.

How to join a club - If you want to join a club a list of clubs can be found here:
http://www.britfoos.com/registered-clubs
Clubs always welcome new players, so get in touch with a club near you…

How to form a new club - It is easy to form a new club. All you need are a minimum of 4x members, a table and somewhere to play, and to register online on the BFA website here:
http://www.britfoos.com/node/add/club
There is a sample constitution to download and adopt, or you can agree your own constitution (if so a copy must be provided to the BFA and agreed). Decide who will be your representatives and off you go – you are a club!

Register your team:
You need to register at least 4x players with contact details for captain and vice-captain. You can register up to 10x players for your team but if so (or if there are more players) think about entering two or more different teams from your club. These teams would compete against each other as well as against teams from other clubs.
Decide when you want to play your fixtures - There are 9 possible playing sessions each week (8pm evenings and 3pm at weekends), rate these according to how convenient they are for your team. Fixtures will be scheduled for the most mutually convenient date but can be changed by agreement between the teams provided they are completed by the deadline for that fixture.

The South West Region
South West region encompasses Dorset, Devon, Cornwall, Somerset, Avon, & Gloucestershire with a total of 49x playing venues and 3x registered clubs to date (Cheltenham, Bristol, Bath). One or more championship leagues will be held if 4 or more teams enter, split into two or more geographical divisions as appropriate if there are sufficient entries (e.g. Northern Area of Avon & Somerset, Gloucs, Wilts, and Southern area of Devon, Dorset & Cornwall)

Regional Coordinators Jon May, Ben Mason & Chris Lyall have announced a Bristol area singles league which is a separate competition for individuals.

Existing Clubs
Cheltenham TFC
Bristol TFC
Bath Blockfeet

Playing Venues South West venues with a table in the past 3 years:
Molloy's 1 Barton Street Bath BA1 1HQ
Belushies 9 Green Street Bath BA1 2JY
The Porter Bar 15 George Street Bath BA1 2QS
The Pig and Fiddle 2 Saracen St Bath BA1 5BR
The Bell Inn 103 Walcot Street Bath BA1 5BW
The Bruton Castle 45-49 High Street Bruton BA10 0AW
Centre Parcs Longleat Forest Warminster BA12 7PU
The Armoury Inn 1 The Park Yeovil BA20 1DY
Rileys Hinton Road Bournemouth BH1 2EN
Sandacres Free House 3 Banks Road Sandbanks Poole BH13 7PW
Walkabout 40 Corn Street Bristol BS1 1HQ
Molloy's 16-24 Baldwin Street Bristol BS1 1SE
The Full Moon 1 North Street Stokes Croft Bristol BS1 3PR
The Mall (Galleries) 25 Union Gallery Bristol BS1 3XD
The White Harte 54-58 Park Row Bristol BS1 5LH
King's Head 91 Bridgwater Road Bristol BS13 8AE
South Bristol Sports Centre West Town Lane Bristol BS14 9EA
The Bell Bell Hill Stapleton BS16 1BE
Colston Arms 24 Saint Michael's Hill Bristol BS2 8DX
The Colston Arms 24 Saint Michael's Hill Bristol BS2 8DX
Barrs Court Inn Stephens Drive Longwell Green BS30 7AA
Trout Tavern 46, Temple Street Keynsham BS31 1EH
The Crown 63 Bristol Road Keynsham BS31 2WA
Bradley Stoke Community School Fiddlers Wood Lane Bradley Stoke BS32 9BS
Thornbury Cricket Club The Ship Field Bristol BS35 3LG
The Rising Sun 86-90 Gloucester Road Bristol BS7 8BN
Rileys Queen's Road Bristol BS8 1QE
Rileys 15-19 Queens Road, Clifton Bristol BS8 1QE
The Ranch 59-61 Whiteladies Road Bristol BS8 2LY
Sloanes 66 Whiteladies Road Bristol BS8 2QA
Bristol Foos Room Cobbler Lane Bristol BS8 2UR
Bristol Zoo Clifton Down Bristol BS8 3HA
The Mall The Mall Clifton Village Bristol BS8 4JG
The Mint 154-155 Fore Street Exeter EX4 3AT
Hole In The Wall Little Castle Street Exeter EX4 3PX
The Rusty Bike 67 Howell Road Exeter EX4 4LZ
The Ram Bar, Exeter University Stocker Road Exeter EX4 4PZ
Rileys 19-23 Sidwell Street Exeter EX4 6NN
The Bowling Green 29-30 Blackboy Road Exeter EX4 6ST
Rileys Unit 48, Morelands Trading Estate, Bristol Road Gloucester GL1 5RZ
The Barrels 69 St. Owen Street Hereford HR1 2JQ
Rileys 4a Courtenay Street, Off New George Street Plymouth PL1 1EP
Rileys 1 Kingston Road Taunton TA2 7SA
Rileys 161-163 Higher Union Street Torquay TQ1 4BX
The Fortescue Inn Union St Salcombe TQ8 8BZ
Hell Bay Hotel Hell Bay Hotel Bryher Isles of Scilly TR23 0PR

joshjaeger

Re: BFA League Championship - South West Region

Post by joshjaeger » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:50 pm

As an operator it would be fantastic if the BFA could produce an eye catching poster for me to put in my venues. this would mean that we are not just preaching to the choir. If there is information up next to a well lit and maintained table then I can ask the manager to help me promote the formation of teams outside my own circle of player friends.

by the way I think this is great :D
Babyfoot for a better society

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:09 pm

Working on a sign-up sheet which can be put into the downloadable documents section.

Mase

Post by Mase » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:38 pm

Josh asks for an eye catching poster.

Boris offers "a sign up sheet".

The only few real venues in the South West are Josh's place's (Josh please list) and the FoosRoom.

Most on list don't exist anymore.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:44 pm

We have two teams confirmed for the South West so far, Walcot Gnarlandos from Bath and the Roadwater Tetrads from Watchet, Somerset. Where are all the Bristol teams? I'm sure a couple of foos-room teams split on table preference would spice up the mix quite nicely!

Registration has been extended until 5th November due to a computer glitch!

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:26 pm

The BFA South West League is drawn from the following registered teams

Walcot Gnarlandos - Bath - Garlando - Captain Cyrano Ugarow , Vice Captain Josh Jaeger
Roadwater Tetrads - Watchet - Garlando - Captain Harry Singer, Vice Captain - Jack Boyles
Bristol TFC - Fireball - Captain Ben Mason, Vice Captain Jonathan May

There is a vacancy for one further team which can be filled by a new club or team in the region before the New Year and 'Team 4' home/away fixture windows have been scheduled accordingly. The first round of fixtures will be scheduled from the week commencing 26th November with a deadline of 20th January 2013. Any new entrants in the region before 31st December will be automatically added to this league to bring it up to 4x teams, if any wish to join after the New Year all the existing teams in the league would have to consent to this.

This message has been sent to all team captains and vice-captains in the South West League. You are between you the de facto South West League Regional Committee and can take over responsibility for running the league if and when you feel able to so do, as a first step I would suggest appointing or electing your own League Director subject to the rules of the competition.

The default fixture dates as based on the most mutually convenient sessions as per your teams registration form. The dates can be changed with the consent of both teams provided the revised date is notified to the league director and posted on the forum.

Round 1 - Deadline 20 Jan 2013
Roadwater Tetrads -v- Walcot Gnarlandos - Thu 29th November
Bristol -v- Team 4 - By 20th January

Round 2 - Deadline 17 February 2013
Bristol -v- Roadwater Tetrads - Thu 31st January
Walcot Gnarlandos -v- Team 4 - By 17 Feb

Round 3 - Deadline 10th March 2013
Team 4 -v- Roadwater Tetrads - By 10 Mar
Walcot Gnarlandos -v- Bristol - Sat 23 Feb 3pm

Round 4 - Deadline 14th April 2013
Roadwater Tetrads -v- Team 4 - By 14 April
Bristol -v- Walcot Gnarlandos - Sat 16 Mar 3pm

Round 5 - Deadline 12th May 2013
Roadwater Tetrads --v- Bristol - Thu 18th April
Team 4 -v- Walcot Gnarlandos - by 12th May

Round 6 - Deadline 14th July 2013
Walcot Gnarlandos -v- Roadwater Tetrads - Thu 16th May (unless same week as Bonzini WCS otherwise Thu 30th May)
Team 4 -v- Bristol - by 14th July

jackboyles

Post by jackboyles » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:24 am

Good job sorting out the groups to keep the journeys at a minimum.

Just to give everybody a heads up, we think we have convinced a bar to take on a table, this would mean we could play there rather than at our work! Which would be more appealing I think.

Will update you of progress, if there is any problem with this let me know!

Cheers,

Jack (Roadwater Tetrads)

joshjaeger

Post by joshjaeger » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:34 pm

Table in a bar sounds like a good development Jack... Unless of course tetrad is the parent company for Spearmint Rhino in which case the "Office" sounds just fine.

Looking forward to meating you all on our first date. I have informed the Gnarlandos of our impending meating and I am hoping that the 29th with work for all.

Josh

Cream Pants

Post by Cream Pants » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:09 am

joshjaeger wrote:Looking forward to meating you all on our first date
Josh.. i know you have certain preferences and tendancies... But this particular line has worried me!

You seem very excited about the prospect of "Meating" a load of guys.. I don't know if this is some kind of under the radar, secret phrase? But you're not hiding it well.. And if I was the opposing team judging from this comment i'd be keeping my back to the table ;)

James

joshjaeger

Post by joshjaeger » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:23 pm

it's the pmly way we will win any matches...

jackboyles

Post by jackboyles » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:13 am

Josh, can't wait for our first date!

It'll be so romantic.

90% we have this new table coming in this week, pretty sure its another Garlando but will let you know.

So if everyone's ok then we will have a change of venue, but will confirm this 100% when I can.

7:30 arrival for 8pm start guys? how does that sound?

Boris gave out contact numbers in the email that went round so I'll give one .of you a call next week to clarify where we are playing.

Otherwise, looking forward to it,

speak to you next week!

joshjaeger

Post by joshjaeger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi Jack sounds good.

So just to be totally clear.

Our first match is at yours and you play in a tiny village on the edge of Exmoor. I must get a better hobby.

Josh

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:08 pm

Jack - if you are getting a new venue would that affect your availability/session preferences for home matches? It would seem to be a fair trek from Bath or Bristol for a midweek evening match particularly if reliant on public transport...

joshjaeger

Post by joshjaeger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:32 pm

We blockyfoot players are used to adversity. everything is a struggle even getting our balls under control. a two hour drive is nothing hahaHA. let me know if your new venue is any closer to civilisation won't you. A post code would be cool...

...Squeeel like a pig

jackboyles

Post by jackboyles » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:51 am

Well the new venue would be in Minehead rather than Roadwater, so its upgraded from village to town status at least! And you don't have to drive down any tiny lanes!

Weekends may be a possibility I would need to check with everyone. But again, this venue change still isn't 100% so don't want to make anything official until we've actually seen the table. As soon as we have I will repost availability and address.

jackboyles

New Venue

Post by jackboyles » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:07 am

Word is our new table has arrived!

So we have an official change of venue:

Stones Bar,
The Avenue,
Minehead.
TA24 5AN

Much easier to get to for everyone involved!

That also means we are no longer the Roadwater Tetrads, you can call us Minehead TFC...(much more intimidating!)

From what we understand its a glassless standard competition style Garlando, but we're going down for our first play tonight.

To get there from Bristol:

M5 to Bridgwater, A39 to Minehead.

or

M5 to Taunton, A358 to Williton, A39 to Minehead.

Both routes are roughly the same.

Looking forward to our first loss of the season against the Gnarlandos tomorrow!!

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:55 pm

Good news Jack, if that changes your session preferences please let me know. Club page amended accordingly.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:49 pm

First Result

Minehead TFC 4 - 6 Walcot Gnarlandos (49-54)

Walcot Gnarlandos forfeited both D3 matches 7-2 due to fielding an ineligible (singles) player, but still win the match.

jackboyles

Post by jackboyles » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:21 pm

We had a great night!

Thanks guys, and congratulations, Walcot were thoroughly deserved victors - in spite of their brazen cheating and illegal formations!

But fair play was the winner here!

We've worked out our tactic for the season: Total and unreserved attention to the rules and loopholes! Shame it still wasn't enough to win!

It was really good fun, and we're looking forward to the return leg up North!

Cheers Cyrano, Josh, Paul & Gebbie

Jack - Minehead TFC

joshjaeger

Post by joshjaeger » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:00 pm

I think this format is great. though I obviously don't fully grasp it and should really check the rules before I fill in the next team sheet.

Massive thanks to the Minehhead TFC. excelent hosteing skills included Pizza at half time and very questinable tashes. Thanks for the drinks too if I hadn't had all those cokes I might not have made the 2 and half hour drive home.

Anyone reading this may be interested to know it took about two and a half hours to play the matches including a 20 minute half time.

There was some very good foosball played all round and I loved the table. all pinny foot except for the blue two rod that happens to be blocky foot. not sure if that qualifies as a standard configuration table so unfortunately you forfeit all the games :lol:

really looking forward to the second leg in Bath. foosball just isn't foosball with out a beer or four.

long live the BFA Cup