Thursday 28 March

Bar KICK
127 Shoreditch High Street
London. E1 6JE

Freeplay & Registration: 7pm
Kick-Off: 8pm
Entry Fee: £7.5pp on the day -£5 advance booking on ticketweb - details tbc

Format:

Group Stage: Downstairs x 4 B90 Bonzini Tables - 1 match = 1 game - 1st to score 7 goals.
Finals Stage: Upstairs x 2 ITSF Bonzini Tables - 1 match = best of 3 games 1st to 5 goals - Straight Knock Out.
Max capacity: 4 groups - 5 to 6 teams per group - 40-48 Players
- Top 2 teams of each group go through to finals stage.
- Non qualified teams play one more match to determine overall ranking.

Prizes: Engraved Medals for 1st, 2nd and 3rd Place.

For more information visit: http://www.ltfc.info
Last edited by Gipsy Beast on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davez

Re: Thurs 28 March - BONZINI - Open Doubles @ Bar KICK

Post by davez » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:57 pm

Why not kick-off earlier, say at 7:30pm? Wouldn't that help increase the chance of things finishing on time?
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:43 pm

At least it's a bank holiday the next day...

Jujhar

Post by Jujhar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:07 am

davez wrote:Why not kick-off earlier, say at 7:30pm? Wouldn't that help increase the chance of things finishing on time?
Late finishes are simply why I've stopped going. I've been saying for years that these tournaments should finish by 11pm. These tournaments aren't new so there's no reason as to why lessons haven't been learnt. Friday or Saturday nights would be understandable.

I do my best there to make sure tables are always full. Many times when it's obvious that the format needs to be reduced given the number of entrants, there is always significant stubbornness for it. I've lost count the number of times I've been promised there will be change and it is unacceptable.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:03 pm

There are 10x score counters on a Bonzini table so why not play the KO games as 1 game to 10, or at least have the option to do so if there is a large turnout?

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:21 pm

The issues are always starting 30 mins late and then a big delay between groups and knockout stages (almost an hour last time) whilst sense is trying to be made from bits of paper. Using SPORT would eliminate this instantly, as would smaller groups or limiting the number of entrants.

davez

Post by davez » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:41 pm

JP,

I'll summarise the suggestions, including some of my own. it would be good to hear from you which ones you will adopt:

1. Advance notice of limit to number of teams
2. Increase emphasis on need to pre-register
3. Use SPORT
4. Earlier kick-off, e.g. at 7pm or 7:30pm
5. Use more tables to reduce group size
6. Reduce group stage format from 7 balls to 6 or 5 balls
7. Minimise the delay between completion of groups and start of KO
8. Reduce quarter finals format to 1 game of 10 balls
9. Reduce semi finals format to 1 game of 10 balls

The objective is to complete the tournament by 11pm.

On the plus side we should also note that JP's use of pre-reg and web ticket purchase using PayPal is way ahead of anything that anyone else is doing in the UK.

Dave
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:48 pm

The January competition was the best attended Thursday night on record. 30 teams, 60 players and JP was turning people away. I believe he could have had at least another 4 teams. He had to persuade BAR KICK to let him have another table upstairs for the first round as well. 5 groups of 6 teams each, and JP was running around collecting results, calling matches and looking for missing players who were freezing their nuts off smoking outside. We made it through to the final stages upstairs, but lost a very tight game to Jose and Dave B. We were supposed to play another match to decide our final placings but Neil and I decided we needed to try and get home. It was now 00:20.
We missed the last Overground train, and also missed the last route 26 bus back to Waterloo. So we caught the N26 which only got us to the Strand. From there the only option was to walk across Waterloo bridge to the station. Got into Waterloo at 01:01. Last train to Surbiton, in fact last train to anywhere is 01:05.
We got home at 01:45. Yes of course it’s late, and of course things can be done to improve the running of the event. But until somebody else comes along…… JP you’re the man.
I love those Thursdays. Bar Kick is a fantastic venue, with a great atmosphere. And JPs enthusiasm is infectious. He has created an event that is drawing a large crowd every month. He has created a monster. He now needs our help. If we are going to play in his events, we should turn up early, pre register, and be prepared to support him on the night. Make sure that the group you are playing in are ready play as soon as the previous game is finished.
If we don’t help, it will always be late finishes. And I will always be on that 01:05 train home. Presuming I play well enough that is.
Paul M

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Paul - we are trying to help. Put it this way: if he used SPORT he wouldn't have to turn anyone away.

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:05 pm

Paul's right, these tournaments are really great fun for most participants, both the serious players and the casuals. 90% of participants aren't impacted by the late finishes, but on the other hand if you p+ss off the 10% who are, you end up with people like Juj packing it in and that's a shame.

(I think) these are - at least from the general public's perspective - the highest profile foosball events in the UK. Bar Kick is a pretty well known venue in London, and at least some people know that table football tournaments are held there. So it's a very important asset to be curated well.

So the question is - and it's one to be worked out with JP and Bar Kick - what more can be done to facilitate these running better? Dave Z's outlined some good ideas for a start, let's help JP make it real.

Gipsy Beast
BFA Vice Chairman

Post by Gipsy Beast » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:58 am

Hello peeps, thanks for all your comments... will take great care in responding to the suggestions when I have a bit more time.

shovie

Post by shovie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:06 pm

No one wants to carry a laptop around to run a tournament.

There's an iPhone app called "Tournament App", it costs about £1.50 and will do groups + SE.

If you ever want to run DE there's another one called "Bracket Buddy".

Alex

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:40 pm

There is a desk.

shovie

Post by shovie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:40 pm

No one wants to carry a desk around either.

davez

Post by davez » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:04 pm

LOL.

There's another point here. Despite the apparent success of all those teams, I believe that Bar Kick were *seriously* pissed off with the overrun situation, and the number of staff who had to stay late. The bar had been closed for over an hour and a half when the final finished.

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:53 pm

Part of it was just the massively long quarter final between Jose Oliveira & Dave Bareham / Paul Martin & mate, that seemed to go on for about 45 minutes - what can be done when that happens? Unless you run games against the clock, it's just going to happen. I didn't get to play the 3/4 play-off as had to catch Northern Line last train, so forfeited out. Really wanted a medal to show the kids bah.

Gipsy Beast
BFA Vice Chairman

Post by Gipsy Beast » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:07 pm

I can't wait to express my views on the points raised... won't happen til end of next week due to family tragedy :( . Whilst i'm at it... a small rant. So pi**ed off I don't have venues to run sold out events... Currently two on stand-by - but still no events for feb!!!! Arhhhh :mad: Voila, I fancied a bit of a :agrue: too!!!

Gipsy Beast
BFA Vice Chairman

Post by Gipsy Beast » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:10 pm

exactly the same as here but on LTFC: http://www.ltfc.info/index.php?action=article&art=28

Gipsy Beast
BFA Vice Chairman

Re: Thurs 28 March - BONZINI - DYP *NEW* @ Bar KICK

Post by Gipsy Beast » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:57 am

Hey Peeps,

Bad News.. Cos its bank holiday the following day Bar KICK are only willing to give me the two ITSF tables upstairs.

Meaning the event is to be change from O.D to a Draw Your Partner :cry: (max 24 players)

The O.D has been booked for the WEDNESDAY 17 April. (as all thurs are fully booked!!!!)

Ticket web has been modified.

Sorry about the late change of plan...

Gipsy Beast
BFA Vice Chairman

Re: Thurs 28 March - BONZINI - **NEW DYP @ Bar KICK

Post by Gipsy Beast » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:55 am

Exciting Draw Your Partner happening this week. Get ready for Thursday!!! :angel: