The Sports Cafe (Fireball)

Within the M25
Dancing Defence

The Sports Cafe (Fireball)

Post by Dancing Defence » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:15 am

As the Elbow Room has (temporarily) closed down, we're going to be using this venue as our new place for Tuesday nights.

Who's in for this Tuesday (08/01/2013)?

Sports Cafe
80, Haymarket
London
SW1Y 4TE
Naeem

Bullshark

Re: The Sports Cafe (Fireball)

Post by Bullshark » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:58 pm

Hi Guys

I will be there at 7.30 to 8.00

Mike C

Alex MM

Post by Alex MM » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:35 pm

ohhhh new venue. Yeah I'm up for trying that out. I can be there 7 if anyone else will be?

Dancing Defence

Post by Dancing Defence » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:58 pm

Should be there around 7:30pm...
Naeem

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:25 am

Not exactly a new venue as it used to have 2x Bonzinis

Mike A

Post by Mike A » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:48 am

I will try to make it tomorrow.

cbalife

Post by cbalife » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:12 pm

Imma be there!

Alex MM

Post by Alex MM » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:11 pm

Turned up with 2 others and left total waste of time. No light. 1 table shoved against the wall under a staircase. Didn't even bother putting money to see if the bad white balls had been replaced.

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:04 pm

Someone should have a chat with a manager there. If they realise some people care, and that they'll spend a night a week at their pub buying drinks, they may well try to find a better place for the table. They'll likely be a lovely person.

What has likely happened is that the tables have just been dropped off, with a note from the head office telling them to find a place somewhere for the tables. So they've just stuck them somewhere easy for them, and out of the way. Not their fault, most people in this country don't think foos is anything to really care about.

If you don't ask, then you wont get.

Dancing Defence

Post by Dancing Defence » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:19 pm

We (Tucker, Slag and myself) turned up around 7:50pm. The table was fine to play on! There was plenty of light (much better than the Elbow Room) and we asked for the proper Fireball balls at the bar. Joe's right, if you don't ask, you won't get. The manager personally came down and welcomed us and set the table to freeplay!!

In attendance were:

Naeem
Tuckles
Slag
Andrei R-G
Tich
Pinday

We will back again next Tuesday (15/01/2013).
Naeem

Bullshark

Post by Bullshark » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:58 am

Hi Guys

Was there around 7.30 left at 7.45, as per Alex quote 'tables were in darkness' asked the manager help move table under bright light also clean it surface which had beer and other spillage. Thought no one was coming so went off to bar kick meet tony, ice, dave etc so apologies. Next week I will be there later.

Mike C

cbalife

Post by cbalife » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:09 am

I think Mike C moved it under the lights etc. The table was grubby and still has goalie bumpers on the 3 bar etc. I can understand maybe levelling the table a bit and using some lube, but worn balls/garlando white balls with the wrong bumpers and next to no lighting doesn't appeal to me when I walk in. We're paying £1 a game, I'd rather go to a bar with better tables that get a bit more tlc (we did in fact go somewhere else). Sorry to be a downer, but it took me about an hour to get there on my day off to play some foos but these fireballs just don't get looked after ever.

Sorry we didn't stay around, itd have been good to play with you guys :)

Alex MM

Post by Alex MM » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:29 pm

The three of us had just played at Bar kick and Motherbar and had a great time. We had to put some lube on one of the tables but thats cool. Normally I don't care what condition the table is in and have played on some in clubs one of which had flashing strobe lighting and the bars so stiff you can't push them all the way to the otherside. I think I played 3 or 4 games on that table table infact. The minimum I expect is I am able to get behind the tables and hold onto the rods. Most people walking in won't move the table and will probably assume its out of order.

My main problem is we moved from a random venue because Jamie had posted to come try out the new venue they had just set up. I find it insulting such little effort had gone into the venue before inviting me to go spend more money there especially if the manager is so friendly why one earth were the tables in such a state and dumb position when I arrived? I was still bitter about the state the tables were left in for weeks at Elbow Rooms. At one point there were more broken pins than intact ones, missing bumpers and then after some of this was fixed they replaced the balls with the terrible white ones which clearly arn't designed for the table. I did try to contact the company directly but got no reply. Fed up I left to go to a different venue. I had no problem with the bar itself I'm sure it will be a brilliant venue.

Tuckles

Post by Tuckles » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:39 pm

Hey,

I can imagine it must have been irritating to travel in to no avail. Sorry we turned up a bit late and missed you.

As Naeem said, things turned out pretty well - brand new balls, free play, decent light and the bar staff seemed pretty interested! I expect the manager would be open to suggestions on where to put the tables. Mike, Naeem and I intend to go next week and grab some food there before playing - conscious that non of us being big drinkers we're not particularly economically viable otherwise!

The general maintenance of the tables is a concern though; the new balls bode well but I agree that it was sad to watch the tables get worse and worse during their time at the Elbow Rooms. I think I'll drop Jamie a PM to see what the situation with this is.

All in all I think it's looking promising; definitely an improvement on the ER.

James.

Dancing Defence

Post by Dancing Defence » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:56 am

We'll be at the Sports Cafe from around 6:30pm tonight 15/01/2013).

Hope to see many of you there.
Naeem

Bullshark

Post by Bullshark » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi All

Last week was really a good session with over fourteen players.

I will be down there this week around 7.00 to move the table etc who is coming.

Mike A, Tuckles, Tich, Greg, Miklos, Andrie, Sam, Donna, Alex, Steve, Will, etc.

Hope to see as many as last week after ten place fill up with lots of girls ha.

Mike C

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:22 pm

I'm tempted to come check this one out - what is the table situation?

Bullshark

Post by Bullshark » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:32 pm

Hi Steve

The table is clean and plays well enough we also have new balls kept behind the counter one table on tuesday is on freeplay so can not complain. Lots of people do turn up second table not on freeplay so winner stay on.

Hope to see you there

Mike C

Tuckles

Post by Tuckles » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi, just in case anyone is coming on Tue 29th, we are playing a league game. If you're not in the team I hope you don't mind the match having priority on the main table.

Thanks,

James.

Tuckles

Post by Tuckles » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi, just in case anyone is coming on Tue 29th, we are playing a league game. If you're not in the team I hope you don't mind the match having priority on the main table.

Thanks,

James.