Your opinion please - Thu 23 Oct - Open Singles - Cash prize

Within the M25
Gipsy Beast
BFA Vice Chairman

Your opinion please - Thu 23 Oct - Open Singles - Cash prize

Post by Gipsy Beast » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:54 pm

Hello hello,

I would like to ask the opinion of the community on this one as I'm not sure the best way to go forward....

So the story is I've potentially found a permanent venue for x3 Fireballs in a Snooker club just next to Hackney Downs.

What I'm thinking at the moment is:

- Open singles is awesome and this is a great place to host those events with x3 tables
- Thursday is a brilliant foosball day and because its not a commercial busy bar, great opportunity to claim Thursday back for Foosball.
- Cash Prizes have become something of a myth in the UK scene... With 15 participants putting in £10 each - total of £150 - 1st £75/ 50% ,2nd/ £45 30%, 3rd £30/ 20%

What do you think of the above???

Would £5 registration fee + £10 flat entry fee (no rankings) be too much, with the prize fund described above?

Would you rather play a group stage or double elimination???

Is an open singles event with a cash prize any interest of all???

Many thanks for giving me thoughts on this one... if you have some time... It's the kind of event which would appeal to me.... and I think could become popular... but it would be great to know how you guys feel.

Cheers,

JP

robmoss2k

Re: Your opinion please - Thu 23 Oct - Open Singles - Cash p

Post by robmoss2k » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:02 pm

Sounds like a great plan JP, but just be wary of turning it into something that costs as much every month as someone's electricity bill if it's only going to be a bit of fun. I get the feeling that people have become disenfranchised with the game as the cost of playing it has increased over the past few years.

ybbun

Post by ybbun » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:48 pm

3 fireball tables for singles sounds awesome! I'd definitely bring some work colleagues along to something like this, but fewer would want to come if the cost of entry was over £5 (and Thursdays aren't great). Perhaps you could alternate expensive DE nights with cheaper G+SE nights to see what turnouts and opinions you get.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:40 pm

I don't agree with flat fees, as the best players are always most likely to walk off with the prize fund, and you want people to play rather than think it is too expensive for a night's entertainment. By all means experiment but if you are charging a £5 reg fee then don't charge novices/beginners any extra, Ams and SPs £5 extra and Pros/PMs £10 extra to provide a prize fund.

Re the format, keep it flexible and reserve the right to change it. Better to have shorter match formats than to turn people away. In the North West championships most games have been first to 7 whether in winners, losers or round-robin (except where first to 5 round robin over multiple table types). The aim has been to keep the length of competition under 2 hours. As a result where we have had 4x entries it is usually a round robin, 5-12 double elim and 13+ entries single elim on a single table. As a rule of thumb first to 5 usually takes 3-10 mins, first to 7 5-15 mins, best of 3 15-30 minutes and best of 5 20-60 mins per match. Certainly if running double-elimination make the losers bracket first to 7 rather than best of 3 as there are twice as many rounds to negotiate.

Good luck!

Gipsy Beast
BFA Vice Chairman

Post by Gipsy Beast » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:25 am

@ Rob

Hey Mr Bobby Moss. I hear what you are saying. I'm proposing 3 out of 15 make more money than they put in. I think when you say the "game" it refers to exotic BFA locations and costly 2 day events. As a local event £5 for free play and tournament organiser + results is not extortionate in my book.... Please correct me if i'm wrong. There has to be something in it for us tournament organisers otherwise might as well play..... but who else is hosting events???

Thank you for your comments, so from what I understand you are saying its better to play for medals than cash because its more affordable??

@ Andrew

Hopefully in the long term we can host events like you suggest as the venue is open from weds to sun. Just need to find a balance with the current setup/ locals. The owners/mangers are really friendly and accommodating. Fingers crossed it will happen bit by bit. Big yes for the future! Thanks for posting :)

@ Boz
Boris wrote:
Re the format, keep it flexible and reserve the right to change it. Better to have shorter match formats than to turn people away. !
I fundamentally disagree... What I'm trying to setup is a play ground for mercenaries. I love my £1 Singles challenge matches... This is the same spirit in my opinion. Therefore the format needs to be fixed. And its irrelevant to turn peeps away when a format has been pre determined for " rewarding who is the best at a game of skill" (I use ticket web btw). If you spending £15... and potentially have 3/15 of a chance of at least doubling your money... You need to know what format you are playing... Having the biggest turn out possible is not the objective here but a format creating a playground players wanting to come back.

Regarding non flat fee, I just believe, as it does currently = no real prize money..... I want the winner to walk away with £75 in this pocket TAX FREE! Not a gold medal... pat on the back and 25p. All the entrants are mercenaries who believe they can win.... its for semi-pro and above... To include ranked fees would be watering down what is trying to be achieved in my opinion for no valid reason (no man land in the middle appealing to no hard core). Please feel free to tell me if I'm missing anything, as always very much value your opinion.

Cheers Boz, thanks for comments.... sorry I totally disagree with both of your points only because I wish to fully utilise the D2 license of the venue and make it the foos "challenge match wager/ cash prize competition" venue.

@ Everyone..... So much appreciated... please keep them coming in.... Hopefully we get somewhere where most of us are happy! :idea:

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:55 am

Thus far the 2/3 people who have commented on the pricing are from the north. Life is much, much, cheaper up here than in London. £15 sounds way too much for me for an evening of foos, but then in London you'll pay that for 2 pints in a bar crowded with insufferable Cockneys. So it's all relative. Although you have posted in this nationwide forum, you're probably much better off asking the same question on your London FB group. After all, it's only the opinion of the London players that matters for this. And tbh you know the London scene as well as anyone, so just go do whatever you think will work!

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:44 am

Gipsy Beast wrote:Hey Mr Bobby Moss. I hear what you are saying. I'm proposing 3 out of 15 make more money than they put in. I think when you say the "game" it refers to exotic BFA locations and costly 2 day events. As a local event £5 for free play and tournament organiser + results is not extortionate in my book.... Please correct me if i'm wrong. There has to be something in it for us tournament organisers otherwise might as well play..... but who else is hosting events???

Thank you for your comments, so from what I understand you are saying its better to play for medals than cash because its more affordable??
Sorry JP - all I mean is - if you're going to be running this every week, then you're taking an average of £65.22/month off each player who turns up every week, which might get a bit old quite quickly for someone who never reaches the prize money, and that's most of your players as only three make money back in any one week. I'm not saying "you should charge this" or "you shouldn't charge that" - I'm just saying that you should be careful not to alienate the people you get to come along as that's more than some people spend on their electricity bill. Maybe do a free one every now and then or something like that to get the disenfranchised hooked again, and be prepared to change your mind at short order if popularity dwindles - you don't want to end up with just the three players who keep taking the money left.

Gipsy Beast
BFA Vice Chairman

Post by Gipsy Beast » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:59 pm

Image Image Image Image

Gipsy Beast
BFA Vice Chairman

Post by Gipsy Beast » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:10 pm

One table installed and with lighting... its a start!

Once again thank you all for you comments!

- Sorry for not making it clear but my idea was one tournament a month and not every week.

- What is very clear now is nobody gives a bloop about winning a cash prize at foosball at the moment. Therefore seems best to do a classic LTFC event with just £5 with advance bookings. Gold, Silver, Bronze medals. Group stage: 1 game - 1st to 7 - top 8 go through. 1st to 5 best of 3 - Straight K.O - I think that would work.....

Regarding the venue they are down sizing on the snooker bit by bit and finger crossed soon there will be space for 3 tables permanently.

So my question is what do you think is best?

x 3 fireballs, or a Garlando world champion + Roberto Sport + Fireball / Bonzini

What is your best combo in your opinion?? I should be able to keep the fireballs there just for tournaments... ( 2 are currently in the back uninstalled)

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:15 pm

Multitable!

Gipsy Beast
BFA Vice Chairman

Post by Gipsy Beast » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:25 pm

willhawkes wrote:Multitable!
Thanks Will... anybody else????

The venue is open from weds to sun btw.....

Bullshark

Post by Bullshark » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:03 pm

Hi JP

I agree with Will put in one of each except for tournaments.

Mike