Any Players in Cork or Belfast?

Forum for use of the Irish Foosball Association and irish players

Moderator: Jude

Garmani

Any Players in Cork or Belfast?

Post by Garmani » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:49 am

Is there anybody in Cork who'd be good for a bit of practice?
Not that I know of.

Is there anybody in Northern Ireland who'd be good for a bit of practice?
Any venue in Northern Ireland with a decent table?
Would Britfoos know? Would they have members up there?

It's a shame that I've to travel to Dublin to get decent oppostion. It's also a shame that, if I'm in Dublin, the usual suspects are not available to play.

It's a shame that I had to go to the European Fireball Open in Manchester to get more than a few hours of decent play. But it was well worth it.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Re: Any Players in Cork or Belfast?

Post by Boris » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Garmani wrote: Is there anybody in Northern Ireland who'd be good for a bit of practice?
Any venue in Northern Ireland with a decent table?
Would Britfoos know? Would they have members up there?
MOD split from venues topic

We held a tournament at Queens Uni in Belfast in 2001 and have around 20x registered players from Northern Ireland (listed as NIR in the latest rankings), led by Lang Hunter and Colin Warke who were distributing FAS tables as Arcade Retro Games. I'm in touch with Colin on Facebook so will ask him if anything is going on up there. Lang & Colin were the only ones with any idea of how to play at the time.

From an ITSF POV we have no problem with the IFA recruiting players from Northern Ireland, as it makes geographical sense irrespective of the politics. There are no plans to run any future tournaments in the North, although if you were to organise an all-Ireland tour any NI events could be ranked.

Garmani

Post by Garmani » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:38 pm

Thanks very much. I´ll gladly travel to Northern Ireland for some decent games, but it´d have to be 4 or more hours...over 2 days if necessary to make the journey from the opposite end of the country worthwhile. I Dublin I have to be there on the right night of the week when the appropriate host is available and only get a few hours.

Please forward my contact details-gary_mahoney@hotmail.com

Shakeatron

Post by Shakeatron » Sun May 06, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi Garmani,

I'm new to these forums, where are you based? I'm based in Belfast and would be up for matches against any players from the North or South. However, I have exams at the moment so I'm not free until 22nd May. I don't know any venues within N.Ireland for playing but I can look into trying to find a location after my exams.

Cheers
Jake

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Thu May 10, 2012 7:44 pm

Lang Hunter and Colin Warke (try Facebook) used to operate and sell FAS tables in Ulster as Arcade Retro, based on the Lisburn Road in Belfast. They organised NI's only ever tournament back in 2001 (about 15 local players turned up plus 7 from the UK mainland). Otherwise a bit of a foosball desert, I'm afraid.

Garmani

Post by Garmani » Tue May 15, 2012 9:56 am

I'm from Kerry, but a refugee in Cork city. The Dublin guys used to play in a few pubs years ago, but now many have their own tables so they have nights of most weeks when they gather in someone's house.

You probably will find good quality mostly central and Eastern European opposition on a Garlando in the Czech Inn just off Parliament Street in Dublin, particularly on a Saturday night.

There is a Tornado in Lillie's Bordello nightclub, I don't know what the quality of regular player is like there.