Irish Issues from UK Masters (Split Topic)

Forum for use of the Irish Foosball Association and irish players

Moderator: Jude

Damo

Irish Issues from UK Masters (Split Topic)

Post by Damo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:57 pm

MODERATOR NOTE - Discussion of Irish Issues split from UK Masters topic in UK Tournaments forum
Oatsey wrote:Apparently Tony spredeman is there and beat Rob in OS!
Rob Davey wrote:Apparently he is and if true - what a great marketing opportunity missed!!!!

I think anyone running an event would prefer to know a world class player was attending rather than have it as a surprise on the day?????????????

Rob
Rob Davey is quite correct in my opinion Ryan Moore significantly attendence added to the numbers at Ben Masons Bristol Event last year.

I would be of the opinion that Tony would have added even greater numbers (no disrespect to Ryan) given Tony's unique and exciting style of play.

Rob Atha quoted on this forum that he had to raise his game to a level he that he was never required to do in the UK before to win the OS Final in Bristol and many people commented that it was the greatest game of Foos they ever saw in the UK.
All said it was good for UK Foos Players and Rob Atha and foos Lovers in General.

To Address Rob Daveys ?????????

I was aware that Tony was going to be in Ireland about five weeks before the event on vacation as he was staying with me.

This is a bit long-winded but bear with me.

On the 1st of July I as part of my duties as Secretary of the Irish Foosball Association posted on this thread reminding Irish Players intending on competing that an ITSF license was required to compete in an ITSF Sanctioned Tournament and three players have had their license's suspended due to non payment of annual fees to the IFA.

This seemed to be an issue with some players (some former committee members of the IFA) who for some reason refuse to pay fees to the IFA or accept that the IFA is the ITSF sanctioned body in Ireland.
These players seemed to have no such issues when they controlled the committee of the IFA.

My post on July 1st was simply to advise Irish players of these requirements but it seemed to escalate into stand off between the IFA and the Tournament Director and Promoter prompted by some of these players.

I as secretary of the IFA contacted the Tournament Promoter and outlined the position of the IFA (why should players who refuse to pay their fees receive the same treatment as the players that do) and in my opinion it contravened ITSF rules.

In the meantime Boris Atha posted and outlined the position very clearly.

Then the Tournament Director posted and stated all were welcome to compete regardless of membership or license requirements.

This clearly undermined the ITSF,BFA & IFA three regulatory bodies striving to promote and develop foosball.
I contacted Joe Bundy and while I understand as a promoter you want as many players as possible he basically told me that he would discuss the situation with his Tournament Director the result of that discussion was then conveyed to me in a manner and tone which I could only regard as an affront to the IFA.

The ITSF then clarified the situation in no uncertain terms.

Then having asked Tony would he consider attending the UK Masters and partner me to which he agreed I decided to travel and compete in the hope common sense would prevail
I WAS GOING TO ANNOUNCE TONY SPREDEMANS ATTENDENCE BUT GIVEN THE LACK OF ANY SOLUTION IN SIGHT WHY WOULD I.

I must also clarify that Tony Spredeman was not made aware of the potential problems until the last minute and was asked to remain completely impartial.

On arrival at the venue we found that the DYP was canceled due to the non delivery of Table Tops Joe Bundy as Tournament Promoter was understandably upset.
I offered a solution as I am a director of a company 25 miles away I offered him a truck and driver within an hour who would collect the table tops and bring them to the venue that night (FOC) this offer was spurned.

I then presented to Joe and his Tournament Director a directive from the ITSF clearly stating the rules regarding the issue of players being licensed and ITSF sanctioned Tournaments.
The response I received after they read the ITSF directive was that they were going to ignore it and XXXX XXX.

I then informed them that I was not going to compete and leave as the IFA & ITSF cannot be treated with such disregard.
Sharon Fogarty a fellow Committee Member of the IFA attempted to find a compromise but received the same response and then she stated that she was also not going to compete and leave.
Tony Spredeman who was present for this "discussion" stated that he had no wish to be involved nor take sides but if we were leaving that he would also leave with us.
I was gutted that Tony was put in this position and out of loyalty he was prepared to leave with us.

Only then did the attitude change and they said that they would wait for Boris to rule on the matter on the saturday morning.

On the saturday morning Boris Atha President of the BFA and General Secretary ITSF met with Sharon and I and offered the membership fees for the 3 players who's licenses were suspended and the player whose license had to be imported.
Sharon then inquired if the four players had agree to pay and Boris informed her that he was personally willing to pay.
At this stage two of the four players had arrived at the venue and reiterated that they were not prepared to pay their membership fees to the IFA.

After a brief discussion with Sharon we decide to reject this offer from Boris on principle.
I was gutted and did not know how I was going to convey this news to Tony that Sharon & I were leaving and he was free to get a new partner for the OD and MD.
And with all due respect to Boris he was gutted too as he was placed in an impossible predicament.

Thankfully at the last minute Jonathon May could see I was visibly upset and as I explained the problem he proposed a solution.

A document was drafted with Jons help.

Headed
Irish Foosball Association

Basically the document says that Boris Atha (President BFA ,General Secretary ITSF paid the membership fees for

Dave Lawlor
Robert Lawlor
Louise Herring
Norman Cloney

The above named individuals refused to pay membership fees to the IFA.
The IFA compromised and accepted Boris Atha's gesture to avoid any conflict at the UK Masters in Penkridge.
This document was dated and signed by Boris Atha and Damian Glavin and a copy is on its way to the ITSF.
I then accessed the ITSF website and created a license for Robert Lawlor and reinstated the licenses for Dave Lawlor, Norman Cloney & Louise Herring a document was then produced license details given to the Tournament Desk.
My understanding was that Louise was not attending anyway and Norman failed to show which is a shame as it left Rob Atha without a OD partner.

Matter concluded for now.

Should any of the above named players not wish to the members of the IFA all they need to do is put it in writing and the Treasurer will refund Boris Atha.

But bear in mind that I am of the understanding that the ITSF are drafting stricter regulations to avoid problems like this arising in the future.

So the long and short answer to Rob Daveys question is that four players tried to hold the ITSF,IFA, & BFA to ransom and it inadvertently affected the turnout at the UK Masters.

Foos is bigger than any individual and Irish Foosball will move on with them or without them it really does not matter.
The generation of foosers I am interested in is the next one the choice is theirs.
This split involving the above named players has been in existence long before I returned to the game.
I had a good laugh and a few beers with the Rob and Dave Lawlor over the weekend and enjoyed their company.
Well Done to Rob for his second place finish in the AS and also for winning the Open DYP with Tony Spredeman a competition my company sponsored I hope you enjoyed a few beers with the winnings.
Also congrats to Rob and Dave for winning the 3000.
Our Financial Controller gave me a bollocking when he became aware it could not be claimed as tax deductable expense ah well he will get over it.
It was even suggested to me that if I excluded a player or two from my weekly foos sessions we could all get on.

I don't want to go off topic but there other issues which I will post in the post tournament thread

Footnote
On the Sat morning all the table legs were loose and the only tool available was a vice grips.
Richard Potts was visibly struggling basically the tables were unplayable.
I suggested to Rich that we drive into the town where we found a huge market and after a bit of a struggle managed to purchase a ratchet long extension bar and a socket Rich you are a gem of a bloke and it was a pleasure to spend that time with you.
I paid for the above mentioned tools and never even received a thank you from the Tournament Organisers with the exception of Rich Potts

Kind Regards,

Damian Glavin

Secretary IFA
Peace & Love in the GHETTO

Jonathan may
BFA Committee Observer

Re: UK Masters 2010, Tornado Pro-Tour, 23rd-25 July

Post by Jonathan may » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:34 pm

My name was mentioned so I'll explain.

Events such as this must be dealt with before the event, in consultation with the ITSF, the national assocation and the individual players concerned. The TD/TO/BFA's interpretation of ITSF rules was, and still is, irrelevant.

The issue even now remains one for the ITSF, IFA and players concerned.

The events are fully documented, so the only opinion that is now relevant is that of the ITSF Executive Committee.

I refuse to take a view on relationships and prior events that I cannot hope - nor wish to - understand, that have caused this dispute.
--
Manager, TeamGB.

Damo

Post by Damo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi Jon

I can only agree with your comments.

I have no wish or desire to involve you in a situation that does not concern you.

I was only attempting to set the record straight and I assure you that I made every effort to resolve the issue prior to the event.

All you did was assist me in securing a compromise and help me correctly word a document and I can only assume you did that for the greater good of all concerned without bias or favor.
And from what little I know of you if canvassed by either party you would be happy to help achieve a solution.

Damian
Last edited by Damo on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:45 pm

Damian Glavin wrote:On arrival at the venue we found that the DYP was canceled due to the non delivery of Table Tops Joe Bundy as Tournament Promoter was understandably upset.
I offered a solution as I am a director of a company 25 miles away I offered him a truck and driver within an hour who would collect the table tops and bring them to the venue that night (FOC) this offer was spurned.

I then presented to Joe and his Tournament Director a directive from the ITSF clearly stating the rules regarding the issue of players being licensed and ITSF sanctioned Tournaments.
The response I received after they read the ITSF directive was that they were going to ignore it and XXXX XXX.
Given that I am not named but clearly mentioned...

Firstly I didn't even see you on Fiday. Secondly, when we had a discussion on Saturday about this farcical situation your IFA brought to this tournament, during which you threatened to walk out, I was completely open to discussing what needed to be done and to try to talk the 4 players around. After you showed me the ITSF emails I said to you that was case closed and that they had to be registered, which I then relayed to the affected players. I'm not sure why you would write anything otherwise. I also don't recall Sharon discussing this with me, although she may have done with Joe.

When I posted stating that all players were welcome to compete in the tournament, this was not intended to undermine the IFA, BFA, ITSF or whatever "organisation" - I didn't and don't want to get involved in foosball political issues (I mean seriously come on).

Jonathan may
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan may » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:48 pm

Cool, cheers.
--
Manager, TeamGB.

Damo

Post by Damo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:55 pm

So far I have received two PM's understandably in confidence from British Foosers.
I would like to thank them for their kind supportive words.

I really cannot convey how much I appreciated it.

Damian.

El Capitan

Post by El Capitan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:02 pm

Damo wrote:Stuff
Table Football in the UK is on life support. Same in Ireland I hear.

Pretty much anyone who wants to come and play in a tournament should be welcome to. I don't understand the drama in the Irish game, and I don't want to. There had better be a damn good reason if people are not welcome to play.

I can think of a few people I would ban from events based on one cretin who stole someone's wallet, and a few others who have a history of verbal abuse and threatening behavior.

It's a skill game. Something that everyone on here (except Mike Pearce) enjoys.

I hope that whatever the issues are in Ireland, they can be resolved.

Rob Davey

Post by Rob Davey » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 pm

Why did you have to bring my old mate Kalsi into this?

Rob

Damo

Post by Damo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:17 pm

Steviola wrote:
Damian Glavin wrote:On arrival at the venue we found that the DYP was canceled due to the non delivery of Table Tops Joe Bundy as Tournament Promoter was understandably upset.

Given that I am not named but clearly mentioned...

Firstly I didn't even see you on Fiday. Secondly, when we had a discussion on Saturday about this farcical situation your IFA brought to this tournament, during which you threatened to walk out, I was completely open to discussing what needed to be done and to try to talk the 4 players around. After you showed me the ITSF emails I said to you that was case closed and that they had to be registered, which I then relayed to the affected players. I'm not sure why you would write anything otherwise. I also don't recall Sharon discussing this with me, although she may have done with Joe.

When I posted stating that all players were welcome to compete in the tournament, this was not intended to undermine the IFA, BFA, ITSF or whatever "organisation" - I didn't and don't want to get involved in foosball political issues (I mean seriously come on).

Hi Steve

I appreciate your prompt response.
It is late at night and I have a fairly hectic schedule tomorrow.
But I will try to respond to your post and if any of my recollections are not accurate I will retract them.
But I doubt there will too much concession as I can back up most things.

This is not personal it is about adhering to an agreed structure to enhance our sport.

Regards,

Damian

Mase

Post by Mase » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:23 pm

Damo wrote:
Rob Davey is quite correct in my opinion Ryan Moore significantly attendence added to the
numbers at Ben Masons Bristol Event last year.

Damian Glavin
Damo,

Like you as I do this is rubbish Ryan's attendance was only known by a handful of people before the event.

I myself did not know until less than 72 hours before, so was unable to promote this effectively. No one to my knowledge came because of Ryan. I asked Rob at the time why no one told me earlier and I was told that they just hadn't which is fair enough as no one had to.

I am grateful you brought him and I was able to witness still the best singles match I might have ever seen let alone in the UK.

I am sorry to hear that for even a second there was doubt whether you should play as JW (EL Capitan) says the sport is on life support and all should be encouraged. I hope in the end you were thanked for bringing across players and increasing the attendance in the same way I thanked you at Bristol. I also hope the IFA can sort things out, I have made a good number of friends across the sea on the emerald ilse through foosball and I hope to see them many more times.

Regards,

Mase
Last edited by Mase on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Davey

Post by Rob Davey » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:28 pm

El Capitan wrote:
Damo wrote:Stuff
I can think of a few people I would ban from events based on one cretin who stole someone's wallet.
I thought we had moved on from this? Clearly not!

Yeah ok so I stole your wallet. I have apologised many times.

Anyway it was empty - well except for two things. A membership card to a 'men's sauna/wrestling club :shock:

and your credit card. I did not fancy bottom wrestling that night so I decided on a little spree with your card.

I picked out a nice outfit and then the manager came to me and said 'excuse me sir - it's your signature - Worthington begins with a W but it does not end with a KER.' To which I replied, 'yeah but you don't know him like I do!'

And that your Honour is my best recollection

Rob :wink:
Last edited by Rob Davey on Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Louise Irl

Post by Louise Irl » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:09 am

Wow, this whole thing is way out of control. Damian, just so you know, nobody cares what's going on in Ireland - which is basically nothing. People just want to foos, have some beers and what ever and some laughs to go with it.

I would have liked to pm you so that this would be private but heck I know some people are bored now Mike Pierce and Norm don't post any more - Rob Davey tries but he's just way too nice!

So here it goes, Damian, I've met you 4 times, first time was a Brian Connors house, well you'd been speaking to a certain some one and you disliked us before you even met us. That's your right and I'm not asking you to like me but as the IFA I expected to be treated fairly and this is not happening. I'm not going to speak for Norm, Rob or Dave I'm speaking for me here.

Firstly, when you posted the minutes from the AGM last December I asked some questions and got no answers. Time goes by, haven't really been playing then this post goes up that I'm officially banned from playing any ITSF sanctioned events. Call me stupid but to get an indefinite ban from a sport it has to be something serious!! But my indefinite ban is for not paying the IFA €5. In the past if someone had not paid their fees to the IFA they could not play world cup or world championships and had no voting rights at any AGM or EGM. If they wanted to play in a competition they just payed their daily fees. Just for the record, nobody ever asked me for the €5 - I wasn't even given to opportunity to pay the fee or refuse to pay the fee.

You should be so embarrassed about nearly leaving a tournament over other people being allowed to enter a tournament because of €20. In my opinion you should have waited until you got home and sorted it out from there. You're a quiet committee and don't really keep any updates of the forum and there's no website to refer to.

Sharon, I've been nothing but good to you when it comes to foosball, you should have nothing bad to say. I just can't believe that you of all people think it's right that I should be banned from competing.

Bringing Tony over was a great thing, just a shame the the organizers couldn't advertise it. Could have upped the numbers by a few.

I could go on for ages but to be honest I haven't a clue what going on here, we haven't played out side our house or Dave's for so long I can't remember and I haven't played in an ITSF tournament for over a year. Seems like it's a load of sour grapes but I really want no part of this crap. Think I'll donate my fees to charity!

Foosball should be about people having fun, competing, catching up with old friends, meeting new friends and having fun. You need a license to play?? My Lord getting membership in a golf club is way easier...........

MOD - this should be split from UK Masters thread, it's inappropriate!

Louise Irl

Post by Louise Irl » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:05 am

Just so its clear this is NORM posting here.
I do not have an account on this forum any more but I can not let this pass
without clarifying a few things.

Ok so.....OMG, still they try to stir it up!
First of all, the last time i seen Damian was around Mase's tourny last July 09,
before that I have only met him I think about 3 or 4 times.
I have not had any contact with any IFA members or posted anything here since last November.
No big deal, happy day's ya would think.
Long story short, about 2 weeks ago I was told myself and the 3 others have been banned by the ITSF. Ohh dear what have we done? I dunno.
Told we did not pay membership to IFA. So what? I was never formally asked for any membership fees, and is that enough to be banned from the ITSF?
ITSF license was required to compete in an ITSF Sanctioned Tournament and three players have had their license's suspended due to non payment of annual fees to the IFA.
I was under the impression these are supposed to be FREE, just because a player does not want to be a member of a current association they will be banned from all ITSF sanctioned events?

The bottom line is and let me make this clear to my friends in the UK.
There is no scene here, end of story. I still play at home with Loubag, Dave & Rob Lawlor.
The rest of the so called players here are still going mental we don't play out, I don't care
get over it!
I have made many many friends over the years in the UK through four decades of playing foosball, I am not and never will let a few bitter has been Irish players let that stop me from playing foosball tournaments, no matter how much they want to try and stir it.

Ok so.....Big deal, take my license away , hahaha it wont make me a worse player.
Tony was told to tell no one he was coming.
Why did the IFA have to drag so many people into a farce.
I do recognize the IFA as the ITSF member.
The only issues here are with your selfs.
Get over it, blow it out your holeeeee.
Money can never buy you skill or talent.
Again Blow it out your Holeeeeee!

Peace out all, hope to catch you all some time soon, well most of ya anyway :-)

Norm.

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:35 am

Damian,

There are a few points where I disagree with your post. However I have no desire to be drawn into an unwinnable argument or whether conversations were had or not.

I apologise if my responses came across as 'an affront' to to the IFA. However based on my opinions, and the expert advice I was receiving, I had good reasons to doubt my need to enforce the documentation you showed me. These papers, to the best of my knowledge, were in direct responce to your e-mails to the ITSF, stating your viewpoint of the situation. After the issue was brought up pre-tournament, another e-mail was sent to the ITSF questioning whether this licencing issue was enough to bar the players from entering should they not wish to pay the IFA, further explaining the situation that the players in question had done nothing to be banned on disciplinary grounds. No responce had been received from that by the tournament, so as I told you, I would not be barring playing from entry.

Were you concerned on the impact this might have on the developing IFA then maybe this should of been kept private. It was you who initially brought this up on the BFA forum. The relevent players and myself could of been directly contacted long before the tournament, giving us longer to find a solution for all parties, rather than the reality of this being brought to me in an official way ( I should not be expected to read the Irish section to obtain information regarding any event I run ) only a short time before the event. This meant that good communication between all of the IFA, the Irish players, the tournament organisers and the ITSF was impractical pre-tournament.

Also, I believed I had thanked you for your help in obtaining a socket set for helping with set up on the tables. However, as it seems this was missed, I would like to make it clear now that I was very grateful for your efforts to ensure a better tournament for all the players, and your generousity in paying for the item (which I did offer to refund you for, an offer which still stands if you missed me offering this too)

Joe.

Dave Lawlor

Post by Dave Lawlor » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:39 pm

Hi all. sorry i took so long to get on here but i was on holidays.
first off, i had a great time at the masters ,good friends good foos, good fun.
thanks to partners Jody,Rob, Paulo.
Damian, just from your post you can tell you started this and pushed it all the way to England, when was another player suspended for not paying fees?
only time i refused to pay was at the masters.
how was four players responiable for the low turnout?
keep paying the top players to play with you, and bar the ones who rock the boat,
sure you will be world champ in no time.
not telling anyone Tony was going, WHY?
you used the masters to broadcast your little war, you used the four players, you used Joe,Steve and Brois and you used Tony, nice one.
in your post you say,, players who controlled the committee,, . is that how you think?
look back and see who was booted off for trying to controll it.
look forward to future posts from you but suggest you put it on Irishfoos.
Dave

Damo

Post by Damo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:03 pm

Hi All

The IFA will respond when the committee members find the time to do so.
I personally have too many business commitments that need my attention just for now.

I can assure all who read this forum that all this vitriol and unwarranted bullxxxx will soon be coming to an end.

Regards,

Damian

El Capitan

Post by El Capitan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:30 pm

Damo wrote:I can assure all who read this forum that all this vitriol and unwarranted bullxxxx will soon be coming to an end.
It will happen one way or the other. We let the IFA use the Britfoos site for free as a courtesy. If it is continually used for petty disputes and (if I am correctly informed) veiled threats, then I would have no objections to rescinding this.

This site is for the promotion of table football.

Damo

Post by Damo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:04 pm

El Capitan wrote: It will happen one way or the other. We let the IFA use the Britfoos site for free as a courtesy. If it is continually used for petty disputes and (if I am correctly informed) veiled threats, then I would have no objections to rescinding this.

Damo wrote:I can assure all who read this forum that all this vitriol and unwarranted bullxxxx will soon be coming to an end.
It will happen one way or the other. We let the IFA use the Britfoos site for free as a courtesy. If it is continually used for petty disputes and (if I am correctly informed) veiled threats, then I would have no objections to rescinding this.

I am total agreement with you John.
If you look back over every post (which you probably do not care to do) there has never been a threat veiled or otherwise.
Neither has there been any bad language.
We at the IFA are indeed grateful for this facility and have a common aim to develop and grow our sport.

Adhering to ITSF guidelines and directives when every effort was m.ade not to let the situation escalate is not a petty dispute.

Certaianly not in the opinion of the IFA or the ITSF.

Regards,

Damian