IRELAND IN FRANCE 2009

Forum for use of the Irish Foosball Association and irish players

Moderator: Jude

mickeman

IRELAND IN FRANCE 2009

Post by mickeman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:03 pm

Howdy all just a quick post to wish all the irish team the very best of luck over in france.. have been playing with most of you over the last few weeks and yous all seem sharp enough(not in my league mind ya) to hopefully have a few upsets but hell have fun anyway...brian                                     P.S Will have bus on stand-by for your return.

Mase

Post by Mase » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:43 pm

Best of Luck IRELAND

superstardj

Post by superstardj » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:57 pm

Mase wrote:Best of Luck IRELAND
Many thanks for the good wishes Ben and Brian C of course.
Best of Irish to the English team and supporters ..
Hope everyone has a great comp and a wonderful time

Love, Peace and Hapiness
Sharon

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:19 am

Norm & Louise, Jude and all,

Have a great weekend, play well and have loads of fun.

Martyn
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

Jude

Post by Jude » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:45 pm

Cheers Martyn and Mickeman, we all wish you were here

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:56 pm

Whilst the day 1 results are trickling in, I though I'd reproduce posts from Dave Oates, Norm Cloney and Louise Herring from the USA board today. They give an interesting insight on various points.

Am here in Nantes, just back from the tourney room.
Yes the tables have Framps, and there is only 1 man on the goalie.
THEY SUCK!.
Looks like we have been screwed by the ITSF
Norm

I can unfortunately confirm from the venue that the Tornado tables all have the appalling conversion kits fitted!! Utterly ridiculous!
Rest of stuff is great , some awesome banners and the pit area is the largest I have ever seen at a foos event.
Oatsey

So it's Louise here not Norm........(won't let me sign in my name)

Anyway the 3 man goalie is here in France and it SUCKS!!!!! It's just not meant to be.
There's no point saying that the US players are pissed about it because you know already but you can add the Irish to that!

Dave Corrington seems to be annoyed about the ITSF MAKING tornado change for this event. Then the rumors are that if tornado didn't change to 1 man goalie for this - there would have been no tornado table for this event. The only teams they would have lost would have been USA, maybe Japan and Ireland and lets face it Ireland are only here to make up the numbers......

The funny thing is that when you are trying to warm for a match every table is available to play on except Tornado. In my opinion EVEN with the 1 man goalie Tornado is by far the best table.

I've got to say good thing about the ITSF - We arrived in Nantes yesterday and before we got the hotel we passed so many posters in the City with the World Cup and Championships. We arrived at our hotel and there was more flyer's and posters about the world cup. We got a tram last night and on the board with the next tram times - there it came World Cup. The venue its self they've done well, it's in a sports complex and it looks like the gymnasium but they've got the flags hanging outside and inside every thing is really well set up. (Except for inside foos but thats another story) Was talking to Mark earlier and he's hoping the live streaming will be fine but he's sharing the broadband connection so he's not sure yet..... it may be choppy.

All the matches are timed so you're not waiting between for too long - I think they allow 20 minutes for a match on a race to 7. So I was expecting the same organization given to the players them selves. They don't seem to announce any formatting, any instructions or whats really going on. Like you find out through looking that you have to buy 5 balls, one for each table - about $6.75. You then have to work out which ball is for which table. I had a match on bonzini earlier today, get to the table and there's no handles, so I go to the desk and line, they tell me to go somewhere else where I had to line again, I had to either buy 4 handles for $22 or go and get my passport. Then it got to the eliminations and was told 4 different formats before the correct one which Adrian Z. had to announce.

Anyway, fun time is being had, also great to catch up with the US players with only 1 hour to fly to see them instead of the usual 10+ hours or so.

Louise
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

mickeman

Post by mickeman » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:24 pm

Martin your a top man thanks a mill for your updates and insight on france
Im not the best at finding info on the net but Bloop man youve got it sorted.
...brian
P.S missed you at bristol.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:22 pm

Hi Brian

Well, it was my sons 18th birthday, so had to miss the Bristol tourney. Sorry I missed you too. The last World Cup was a blast when we both went, wasn't it? Nantes seems to be going good too.

If I see any other Irish bits and pieces, I'll post on here for you all to see.

See you soon I hope.

Martyn
Albert Einstein

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:32 pm

2009 Mens World Cup Result

USA, after beating France (revenge is sweet) in the quarters and holders Austria (great result) in the semi's beat Netherlands (uh?) in the final to become World Champions.

GO USA !!  Well done boys.

Germany won the Womens World Cup, I have no more details.

Hard luck but well played to our teams and the Irish ones too, hope we hear many stories about the events and their experiences.

Martyn
Albert Einstein

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:04 am

Albert Einstein

Norskfoos

Thanks!

Post by Norskfoos » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:30 pm

Hei Team Ireland!

Thanks for the World Cup match. Our Team Norway needs lots of tournament experience and it was great to be drawn in the same group as Czech Rep, Denmark and especially Ireland.

The Czechs didnt back down at all and cruised passed us :)
The Danes were a local derby with lots of great fun matches.

As for the Irish match.... what a great bunch we met! They were pleasant before, during and after the match. It is teams like Ireland that inspire our foosers to keep going to more tournaments. We must make sure we arrange a Dublin/Oslo international friendly match this year. Our team needs lots of experience but also lots of encouragement, so a big thanks.

Also thanks to Dave, it was great to see you again. Pity we didnt get a game, i promise you we have inproved since warwick garlando tournie :)

The inspiring foos skills though can be left to Tony Spredeman and his 5-bar :)
We had seen youtube videos of Tony before but i never realised how fast he can move the ball. He passes the ball like we shoot!

Our Irish team jersey (thanks Jude) will be hanging at our foosball club next week, alongside Dave Gummesons USA jersey and a photo of Tony Spredeman holding Erika, our youngest fooser in Team Norway (5 months).

Hopefully see you all again soon!

Bren
Team Norway

Damo

Re: Thanks!

Post by Damo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:04 pm

Norskfoos wrote:Hei Team Ireland!

Thanks for the World Cup match. Our Team Norway needs lots of tournament experience and it was great to be drawn in the same group as Czech Rep, Denmark and especially Ireland.

The Czechs didnt back down at all and cruised passed us :)
The Danes were a local derby with lots of great fun matches.

As for the Irish match.... what a great bunch we met! They were pleasant before, during and after the match. It is teams like Ireland that inspire our foosers to keep going to more tournaments. We must make sure we arrange a Dublin/Oslo international friendly match this year. Our team needs lots of experience but also lots of encouragement, so a big thanks.

Also thanks to Dave, it was great to see you again. Pity we didnt get a game, i promise you we have inproved since warwick garlando tournie :)

The inspiring foos skills though can be left to Tony Spredeman and his 5-bar :)
We had seen youtube videos of Tony before but i never realised how fast he can move the ball. He passes the ball like we shoot!

Our Irish team jersey (thanks Jude) will be hanging at our foosball club next week, alongside Dave Gummesons USA jersey and a photo of Tony Spredeman holding Erika, our youngest fooser in Team Norway (5 months).

Hopefully see you all again soon!

Bren
Team Norway
Hi Bren & Margreta And Edika

To meet you guys was an absolute pleasure.
I personally would be delighted to hook up with ye again and the undertaking that Des and I gave to visit ye still stands.
Give my regards to the rest of the Norsk Foosers.

Slan
Damian
Peace & Love in the GHETTO

Jude

Post by Jude » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:58 pm

Brendan, it was great to meet you and the team - the feeling was mutual.

See you soon,

Jude

LarsC

Nantes

Post by LarsC » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:41 am

Hi Ireland,

Thank you for a great time in Nantes. A great tournament became even bether with you guys there. We were lucky to be drawn in the same group with you. You are a great bunch of really friendly people, both on and off the table.

/Lars

Damo

Re: Nantes

Post by Damo » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:05 pm

LarsC wrote:Hi Ireland,

Thank you for a great time in Nantes. A great tournament became even bether with you guys there. We were lucky to be drawn in the same group with you. You are a great bunch of really friendly people, both on and off the table.

/Lars
The feeling is mutual Lars and well done to you guys on reaching the semi finals.

Damo
Peace & Love in the GHETTO

superstardj

Re: Nantes

Post by superstardj » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:07 pm

Damo wrote:
LarsC wrote:Hi Ireland,

/Lars
The feeling is mutual Lars and well done to you guys on reaching the semi finals.

Damo
Hi All ..

Only getting to post this now .. Straight back to work after Nantes ..
I can only speak for myself, i would like to say that the organisation, the welcome, the atmosphere and the participants were AWESOME ..

Tornado tables were great and thanks to Jodi (team GB) i have a new perspective on the Roberto Sports table (thanks) ... and of course to Team GB ... Many congratulations to Rob and Joe an amazing game and an awesome result ... To Dave Z, a pleasure to see you again, apologies that we didn't get to hang out .. next time matey ...... To the U.S.A. (namely Rob Mares, Dave G and Tracy M along with the whole Ladies team my thanks for your support, encouraging words and some very funny moments!!!) ... To Lars and the Norway team it was, for me the best match i've experienced so far, you guys + gals are truly a great bunch of people .... To the Sth Africian team ... it was lovely meeting you all (including the nubies) ...Estelle and the French ladies team, again great to see you all... Bonzini hmmmmmmmmm????? Will definitely be working on that before we meet again ..... Petra and Petra (Hungary team) .. really nice to meet you both ... And last but by no means least, to my colleagues on the Irish Team, Norman, Desi, Dave L, Jude, Colm, Damian (my last minute partner - here's to the start of a great relationship LOL) and Louise (how VERY FORTUNATE i am to partner such a lovely person and a great fooser) ...

Ok ... enough of that ... Back to the practice tables ... Have a great year everyone .. no doubt and with any luck, i'll see some of you very soon xx

Sharon xx