Square Pass and Catch

Playing advice / tips / Rules
Post here if you need help from the experts!
akoudrin

Square Pass and Catch

Post by akoudrin » Sun May 12, 2013 6:47 am

A square pass (sometimes called a straight pass) is the transfer of the ball between two rods. One foosman on the 5-rod kicks the ball to the receiving foosman on the 3-rod. The ball travels straight, that is, parallel to the side walls. A square pass is the basis of most other passes in foosball.

You need to know the technique of catching to be able to stop the ball after a pass or a loose ball on the field.

To execute the square pass, put the ball in front of your edge 5-rod man. Align the corresponding 3-rod man with the ball. Tilt the 3-rod anti-clockwise for the receiving foosman to be ready to catch the ball. Quickly rotate the 5-rod anti-clockwise enough for the edge man to kick the ball straight to the 3-rod man.

To catch with the 3-rod man, a ball travelling right from the 5-rod, rotate the 3-rod man anti-clockwise to an angle of 30 - 45 degrees. The catch movement should be soft to absorb some of the impact of the ball. Ideally you should be able to catch a quick pass without the ball rolling or bouncing away.

Once you have caught the ball, you have completed your first pass. Now you can put the ball back under the 5-rod and do it again and again until you become comfortable with it.

To practice the square pass, you can lift the 5-rod defenders out of the way of the ball. After perfecting the unobstructed passes, bring down the defenders and try to make your passes through the gaps. Although the defence is stationary, it is a tough exercise.

This basic ball work is extremely important, because it is a building block for all other passes. A straight pass like this on its own is not likely to be used in a game, because it is easily blocked. The following gives some variation on real life passes.

The square pass can be positionally subdivided into two types of passes, a wall pass and a lane pass.
---
If you’d like to find out where to find the diagram, other tips and more about the new foosball guide, sign up to my mailing list today at www.FoosGuide.com.

Foosball Regards,
Alex Koudrin

Teeb

Re: Square Pass and Catch

Post by Teeb » Sun May 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi Alex,

Whilst you're enthusiasm is great I'm wondering what your foos credentials are? Having played in international tornaments for a number of years I have never come across your name. I checked out your website and noticed you leart to play in America, who do you know who plays over their?

In an effort to be positive I like your diagrams of the puppet positions for passing an catching. Have you considered making a video instead? Are you aware of all the videos online which are easier to understand from watching rather than reading a written description?

Perhaps you should contact Steve Lyall, I'm pretty sure he put together a 'guide to playing foos' a few years ago.

Cheers
Tom

davez

Post by davez » Sun May 12, 2013 7:15 pm

lol
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

Christopher Lyall
BFA Regional Rep - South West

Post by Christopher Lyall » Sun May 12, 2013 7:35 pm

The said guide is here on the BFA's main site:

Beginner's Guide

The section on stick passing (here), covers similar material to the first post in this thread.

Chris
www.fivebar.co.uk - Foosball Tournaments, Leagues, Shop

Mike A

Post by Mike A » Sun May 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Christopher Lyall wrote:The said guide is here on the BFA's main site:

Beginner's Guide

The section on stick passing (here), covers similar material to the first post in this thread.

Chris
Stick pass?! Ohh, you mean square pass.

Shovo

Post by Shovo » Mon May 13, 2013 5:34 pm

Teeb wrote:who do you know who plays over their?
:roll:

davez

Post by davez » Mon May 13, 2013 6:45 pm

lol Mike too. This is turning into a very funny thread.
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

davez

Post by davez » Mon May 13, 2013 6:46 pm

Does anyone know where I can find some resources on how to do the sweep pass? I'm good up the bricks but I struggle through the alley.

shovie

Post by shovie » Mon May 13, 2013 9:12 pm

Anyone got any tips on improving my building society shot from the double puppet pole?

davez

Post by davez » Mon May 13, 2013 9:49 pm

Yes Alex - "More effort".

Mase

Post by Mase » Mon May 13, 2013 10:28 pm

shovie wrote:Anyone got any tips on improving my building society shot from the double puppet pole?
Thread winner so far!

El Capitan

Post by El Capitan » Wed May 15, 2013 9:27 am

Nice work, trolls!

Alex K must feel very welcome.

(Me... the voice of reason?)

Mike A

Post by Mike A » Wed May 15, 2013 4:12 pm

Ahhh, Mr Worthington. Haven't seen you since...the last trolling incident. What's the matter, do you not feel like you have the authority to troll since you are now BFA Treasurer and not Chairman?

davez

Post by davez » Wed May 15, 2013 4:49 pm

Jeez it's like someone injected this room with 100% pure crystal meth gas

Happyham

Post by Happyham » Sat May 18, 2013 3:54 pm

This 'how to' post has been posted across numerous foosball boards. I can't believe that he got more stick from it here, than he did on the US board.

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. The American board has always been more stupid than ours :P
I hated every minute of training, but I said "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Please subscribe/comment/support my blog at http://happyham1986.blogspot.com/

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Fri May 24, 2013 5:40 pm

shovie wrote:Anyone got any tips on improving my building society shot from the double puppet pole?
What an absolute rollover building society shot from the double puppet pole you are. :)