Thinking of buying a table...

Playing advice / tips / Rules
Post here if you need help from the experts!
Pedsdude

Thinking of buying a table...

Post by Pedsdude » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:02 pm

Hey all, I'm a new member of the community! Just a little background... I very much enjoy playing foosball, however, the only time I actually play it is with friends/family at pubs. I've never competed (or looked into competing) in tournaments etc. Having said that, I do consider myself to be well above average, and I win the vast majority of games I play against friends (including 1v2 games).

I've decided that I want to buy my own table to play with at home, and was looking for a bit of advice. Currently I'm looking at one of the following 2 tables:
Garlando Pro Champion (http://www.libertygames.co.uk/store/foo ... -football/)
Fireball Sport (http://www.libertygames.co.uk/store/foo ... all-sport/)

Would anyone recommend either of them, or one over the other, or an alternative that you think would suit me better? £500 is probably the very most I'm willing to spend, but at the same time I don't particularly want a flimsy <£100 table - I want it to be of decent quality! I'm looking to learn all the techniques (types of shots, passing skills, etc.).

I've tried looking for 2nd hand tables, but can't find that many available, particularly located near me (Newcastle upon Tyne), so it's looking increasingly likely that I'll have to buy a new table online and have it delivered.

Anyway, any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

matty96
BFA Regional Rep - North

Re: Thinking of buying a table...

Post by matty96 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi Phil.

My name is Matty and I am currently UK junior no.1 and also European Fireball Junior Champion.We run a Foosball league once a month in Darlington in a Working Men's Club.We attract players from Newcastle,Shields,Durham etc.,but only play on Garlando tables at the moment.
Many people on this forum will discuss the pros and cons of Fireball or Garlando tables but if you wanted decent regular competition (ie our league) then I would suggest that Garlando is probably the best bet for you.The BFA currently only have these tables available as well so for national competitions it would also seem the sensible choice.
My first table was a Pro Champion which I bought new for £500.I have recently upgraded to a World Champion and also have a Fireball and Roberto Sport.For that reason I could be persuaded to sell my first born.Let me know if you are interested.Alternatively if you could get down to Darlo I could show you both of the tables to help you make a decision.
We would welcome you to our next league night which is on Friday 26th October.We have lots of players of varying ability and usually kick off with some fun/handicap games.We also have a film crew coming to do a piece on us.

Darlington Table Football Club also has a Facebook page and our own website.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/DarlingtonTFC

http://www.darlingtontfc.co.uk/

Hope to see you sometime

Regards

Matty

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:34 pm

There's also someone up in Newcastle trying to get a scene together, and a nice Fireball table set up in a bar somewhere - all somewhere in the threads of the last month or so.

matty96
BFA Regional Rep - North

Post by matty96 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:00 am

That's right Will.

His name is Jamie Watkiss.He is ajunior doctor that has just joined our league.A very promising player with bags of enthusiasm for the game.

The bar is called Eye On The Tyne on the Quayside.We went up there a while ago.Nice table,but slippy white balls,poor lighting and £1 for 9 balls.Jamie is going to try to get something going there so we will wait and see.

Brian Harms,another of our league members has 3 tables and lives in Newcastle.He always welcomes people round for a game and in fact Jamie visited him before he came to our league.

Also,I know it's the enemy for the Toon,but we have a 50p Garlando in The Corner Flag opposite the Stadium of Light in Sunderland.

I would still opt for Garlando though as a starter table,as all the top North East players are in our league and it would seem wise to get up to speed on that first.Also the Fireball sport is out of stock at Liberty games at the moment.And don't forget my Pro Champion! Try before you buy!

Regards Matty.

matty96
BFA Regional Rep - North

Post by matty96 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:46 pm

Also just heard there is a Fireball in the centre of Newcastle.A pub called The Hancock on Hancock Street.Supposed to be very popular with students and they run a tournament every Tuesday night.Sounds great.

Pedsdude

Post by Pedsdude » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:01 pm

Thank you for the information/feedback guys, very useful. I think I'll get my own table and get the basics down before I consider making the 45+ minute drive to Darlington! :)
matty96 wrote:Also just heard there is a Fireball in the centre of Newcastle.A pub called The Hancock on Hancock Street.Supposed to be very popular with students and they run a tournament every Tuesday night.Sounds great.
Yep, that's the one I've been using, it's pretty close to me. Only downside is that it is £1 for 10 or so balls - in some regards I'd much rather have my own table at home to play on as often and as much as I like! I'd read about the Eye on the Tyne table on these forums, but haven't been to visit it (The Hancock is <5 mins walking distance for me).

Matty, I'll send you a PM regarding your table.

cbalife

Post by cbalife » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:18 pm

I might be completely bias in saying this, but in my opinion its easier to learn on a Garlando and switch to playing on Fireball than the other way around. However, there are some shots that are impossible to do on a Garlando that you can do on a Fireball.

With regards to a pro-champion make sure you get through-rods on the table and plastic + wooden handles (rather than telescopic rods and plastic handles). Also, the pro-champion is a pretty light table and I can't say I would recommend it; but, I also wasn't too impressed by a Fireball Sport :D.

However, maybe if you look around for a good second hand master-champion/world-champion Garlando you might be able to get one for the price of a brand new pro-champion. I'm not sure what to suggest with buying a Fireball but I'm going to assume Jon May would be the one to speak to about this.

Hope this helped,
Steve

EDIT: A huge bonus with Garlando is they are cheaper and more people have one to sell, you are much more likely to be able to buy a good tournament quality second hand table for under £400/500.

matty96
BFA Regional Rep - North

Post by matty96 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:23 pm

Pro Champion 76kg - Master/World Champion 80kg

Pretty sure all Pro Champions have through rods and plastic handles (which you would probably strap up anyway)

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:48 pm

If you wanna get good you should get a Tornado (or Fireball if you can't get a Tornado).

Pedsdude

Post by Pedsdude » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:55 pm

FYI, here are some pictures of the Fireball in The Hancock:
http://codjumper.com/images/fireball1.jpg
http://codjumper.com/images/fireball2.jpg

And on a related topic - is there any reason why 2 of the scoring markers are a different colour?

Brian Harms

Post by Brian Harms » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:04 pm

And on a related topic - is there any reason why 2 of the scoring markers are a different colour?[/quote]

Most likely to record Timeouts in competitive play. Usually up to two per game.

Alex MM

Post by Alex MM » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:31 pm

Pedsdude wrote:FYI, here are some pictures of the Fireball in The Hancock:
http://codjumper.com/images/fireball1.jpg
http://codjumper.com/images/fireball2.jpg

And on a related topic - is there any reason why 2 of the scoring markers are a different colour?

It is to make it easier to see when a first to five game is up. A lot of Fireball tables in pubs have 9 balls in per play so you want to be able to see who gets to 5 first. Also the most common formats In tournaments are first to five and then best of 3 or 5 games or first to 7.

cbalife

Post by cbalife » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:33 pm

matty96 wrote:Pro Champion 76kg - Master/World Champion 80kg

Pretty sure all Pro Champions have through rods and plastic handles (which you would probably strap up anyway)
They don't all have them, no. And 4kg makes the difference ;). Also... pro champion makes a rubbish sound when you score, we can't be having that.

EDIT: I googled 100kg for a World Champion? :o

matty96
BFA Regional Rep - North

Post by matty96 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:26 pm

If Phil was going to go down the Garlando route then there is no question that a World Champion is a far better table.That is why I recently upgraded and our league also bought a brand new one for nearly £1000.Availability and budget would be the problem I think.We would like more for Darlington Table Football club so if anybody has a post 2007 model available for £300-£400 (especially in the North East) let me know.