Wrapping up a garlando handle

Playing advice / tips / Rules
Post here if you need help from the experts!
ed_taylor

Wrapping up a garlando handle

Post by ed_taylor » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi everyone, was just on youtube watching some foos, and noticed that the handles (garlando) are wrapped/different in such a way that it looks like one long handle with no change in cross section throughout- compared to all the handles I've seen where on the table side the handle thins out before the end, where it returns to original radius. I hope this makes sense....

Are they just wrapped with something to stuff underneath to keep a constant radius through the handle? It looks way too neat though for that to be the case- or are they different handles? or...? Or do you just wrap a number of times in this thinner area before the rest of the handle to 'even it out'?

Why do they do this?

Matt Price
Site Administrator

Re: Wrapping up a garlando handle

Post by Matt Price » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:47 pm

Without seeing the video I'll hazard a wild guess.
ITSF supports TST handles which have to be purchased or rented (I think) at World Cup events. Someone might correct me over the details.

I suspect these are straight TST handles.

http://www.tst-systems.com/tst/index.ph ... &Itemid=17#

cmau

Post by cmau » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:05 am

If I am not mistaken you can specify which type of handle you want under the TST scheme and one of the tables actually uses a constant radius handle (I'm not sure which it is, I think it might be a Leonhart) but I remember renting some for the Garlando Worlds.

If not, you can actually, like you said wrap the thinner area several times over before wrapping the rest of the handle once, thus making a near perfect straight handle.

Rob Atha has the most "solid" handles that come to mind but I suspect that it might have to do with what wraps he uses. Generally newer wraps have more "volume" to the wrap then worn out wraps which are obviously thinner.

potts

Post by potts » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:38 am

Some people are just amazing at wrapping up handles...they must practice.

jagiar

Post by jagiar » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:17 pm

ed,

It's as you mentioned in your latter guess and as cmau also noted - players roll the wraps around the 'table end' of the handle more than the number of times they wrap around the rest of the handle. This gives a handle with a uniform diameter throughout. I often played against a czech player who played on a Galrando WC (they call them Garlando F1s in the Republic), who use to wrap them this way. He said that he did this to create a uniform feel throught the handle thereby adding consistency to his shot's should he grab the handle in the wrong position needing to let go of a quick shot or pass. Personal prefences IMO but his logic seemed reasonable.