Snake shot, 3rd dimension

Playing advice / tips / Rules
Post here if you need help from the experts!
italia

Snake shot, 3rd dimension

Post by italia » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:17 pm

I am just curious as I have been developing my snake for 3 months now. How difficult would it be to consistently, purposely cut the ball when going for a pull and it going across the keepers into the push side?

The only times it happens at the moment, for me and I guess some others is if it happens by fluke, if you get ahead of the ball during the roll across to whichever side.

Has anyone mastered the art of this?

shovie

Re: Snake shot, 3rd dimension

Post by shovie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:54 pm

A few players do this (in both directions) and it can be used very effectively against certain defensive styles. I don't tend to use it in competition because it's not something I practice but would suggest that if you do want to add it to your arsenal to make sure that (while maintaining as much of the technical execution as you can from your regular snake) you make it "feel" different so that it doesn't mess with your normal execution. Perhaps slowing the takeoff or changing the amount of pressure on the ball, things that won't be as obvious as altering the ball position of changing your grip but allow you to treat the two shots as separate.

Hopefully Rob A, Rob D or Joe H will be able to give you some tips.

Alex

italia

Post by italia » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:02 pm

ah thanks for the reply. Yeah, something I have noticed slightly is that it might change the way i do a normal snake. But the thing is, I want to try and keep it hidden so that there are no tell tale signs that it is the shot I would be going for if you know what I mean.

Mase

Post by Mase » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:06 pm

I have been working on this but the push side cut is almost impossible the pull is far easier. I know Rob D says the same. I gave up on this and thought i should learn a five bar.

Making it look and feel the same is not easy and is a must.

Mase

italia

Post by italia » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:31 pm

Ah fair enough, you can never have too much 5 bar. I guess Ill keep experimenting but knock it on the head if I cant get any consistency. You are right about the push though, for some reason Im finding it harder to angle into the corner than the pull side.

Jonathan May
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan May » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:08 am

It's harder push side for two reasons: the push tends to be a more explosive lateral movement so the lateral movement is usually less controlled, and the gap you are shooting into is a "blind gap" (you can't see the angle like you can on the pull side). Actually learning to make it look different isn't that important until you play a very top player. Shovo shoots a good push cut, but totally changes his rock on the ball and adjusts his timing, execution speed (and probably grip?); still doesn't give you much time to adjust your defence.
--
Manager, TeamGB.

Happyham

Post by Happyham » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:06 pm

Lorenzo, just give it a boost mate. You'l be fine.

I might pop into rileys next thursday (not tonight). I'll show you how to do the pull side cut snake if you want!*

*In exchange for man utd tickets.
I hated every minute of training, but I said "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Please subscribe/comment/support my blog at http://happyham1986.blogspot.com/

italia

Post by italia » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:42 pm

lol, those Leeds + City tickets I ended up selling to a friend instead but I told you if you fancied them they were yours.

Yeah would be great to see you in next thursday, could do with learning the cut. At the moment Im trying to nail the push snake fake and into the middle /long pull. It might catch the odd one or two out.

I think i have a tell though when I do the snake because there is one guy on here who I cannot score a snake in for love nor money, unless it gets cut in.