shots from the back

Playing advice / tips / Rules
Post here if you need help from the experts!
Jonesy

shots from the back

Post by Jonesy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:43 pm

urrr im kinda running out of ideas for shots on the 2 bar in defence, ive got a pull kick which, when it works, is so fast no one can ever see the ball go in the goal. but that doesn't always workout. slower shots like pushes aren't that effective as i can't generate enough power. i've tried doing fakes/dummies etc but they rarely work either. im learning to sling but that takes a while to master, does anyone know of some good variations i can use? i've also tried incorporating the keeper

im the best player at my college at both the front and back, so im not that confident passing it up to the forward as they ususally mess it up, hence i try and shoot everytime.

cheers

Happyham

Re: shots from the back

Post by Happyham » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:45 pm

Stuart.. The easiest way to score from the back is to have 3 or 4 options from the same spot. So you have a pull kick, thats a good start. So you have to work out what other shots will compliment the pull kick. If you choose to learn a shot that is from a completely different set up to the pull kick, then you will have 2 shots from 2 different spots. People will know that when you're in a certain spot, you STILL only have one shot from that particular spot.

So shots that compliment a pull kick are:

Short pull shot (spray)
Short pull shot (squared off)
Middle pull shot (spray to the long hole)
Middle pull shot (squared off)
Long pull shot (squared off)*

All of these shots are excecuted from the same set up, so it makes it hard for an opponent to know where the ball is going to go. Now you said that you can't generate enough power in a push shot. The same will be true of a pull shot if you don't have a solid fundamental technique. So instead of abandoning the idea of shooting pull / push shots, I would instead dedicate my practice time into improving my technique. Once you have a good technique, the shots are easy. Learning good technique is very difficult though, ideally you need someone local to you who you can learn from.

Having said all this, the 'discover' website that is linked off the main site has a few videos with different goalie shots on tornado.

http://discover.britfoos.com/video/cate ... %202%20bar

*This shot is hard for even most top players in the UK, so don't worry too much if you can't get this option into your arsenal.

Lemme know if you need any of this post explaining.
I hated every minute of training, but I said "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Please subscribe/comment/support my blog at http://happyham1986.blogspot.com/

shovie

Post by shovie » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:52 pm

Come to a tournament. Failing that, this video is pretty good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6USjh4E5ZDU

Have you tried shooting backpins/frontpins from the 2 bar? Shooting push/pull kicks from backpin/frontpin sets?
If you're push/pull shot's aren't fast you need to sort out your technique, there's a post somewhere about this.

Joe's advice is great unless you want to stay awake when practicing :P

Alex

davez

Post by davez » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:55 pm

Stu,

Good stuff from Joe. You also need to find players who regularly beat you more often than you beat them. You can't get better unless you have a reason.
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

DaveC

Post by DaveC » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:09 pm

Try palm rolling, lots of power and lots of randomness (good on garlando).

Have you seen any Tornados in Birmingham? I heard there was one there in 2005.

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:32 pm

Come to Keele! You'll learn loads. It's very hard to players to tell you how to do something over here, much easier for them to show you and see what you can currently do commenting on that.

£10 unranked package deal for the Keele tournament (to be announced officially soon) so you'll never get cheaper than that! and it's not too far from Birmingham.

cbalife

Post by cbalife » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:14 am

Evertonian wrote:Come to Keele!

Mogwai

Post by Mogwai » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:25 am

Learn to tic-tac confidently, you can integrate your pull kick into this and then mix it up with other shots.

An easy one to start with at amateur level is to pull the ball and let it bounce off the side of the near man then hit it (a bit like a push). If they start to block this you can let it bounce all the way and hit it with the far man again.

Rytis Mitkus

Post by Rytis Mitkus » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:31 pm

well i can do long pull shot square...English isn't my mother tongue so sorry for bad English. anyway, very important is how do you stand before attempting to do pull shot and how you holding the rod. try to stand straight, a little back from the table, your right arm should be straight when your holding a rod, and it should have enough space to move freely. How to hold rod. i don't know how to name that finger but 2nd from the left finger should be on the black plastic. while hand is still straight. when you are shooting don't lift your players too high, they have to be lifted just above the ball. when you want to shoot square, i don't how you call it, but we here in Lithuania call it something like recoil, brush the ball back to make it go straight. this is how i shoot on Garlando table, though i almost don't have any experience on other tables. Hope this will help you. If not, say, and i will try to make some photos or maybe a short video, to understand how i shoot long pull shots.

Bundy Volume 1

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:28 am

If it's not a long squared off push shot, it's not worth doing x

Rytis Mitkus

Post by Rytis Mitkus » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:43 am

well push shot is mystery for me... any tips?

Bundy Volume 1

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:25 am

It's one of those things which is much easier to show someone other than describe.

If you imagine the handle as the centre of a clock face, I start with my wrist/arm in the 10/11 o'clock position. Stance fairly similar to the common pull shot stance.

Then, it's all in the hips baby!

Obviously if you want to square off the shot, then the recoil is just the opposite to the pull.

I see the discover site has no videos on the push. I might have to sort that out at some point.