Snake hitting Crossbar

Playing advice / tips / Rules
Post here if you need help from the experts!
CannonBallGuy

Snake hitting Crossbar

Post by CannonBallGuy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:31 pm

Hi folks...
I've been working on my snake a little. Can score the pull reasonably well, push sometimes when i'm not under pressure... But on both sides, I often hit the crossbar.
Don't know what I am doing different on those occasions but it's very frustrating to see that I hit the gap I was aiming for but somehow lifted the ball high enough to hit the crossbar. :(
Any ideas how I can stop doing this?
Cheers :D

Happyham

Re: Snake hitting Crossbar

Post by Happyham » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:24 pm

Yo, if you're shooting it on a blocky foot garlando then I hit the cross bar everytime on that table. Also, there were a bunch of pinny garlando tables with weird goals where I hit the cross bar everytime too.

Buy a tornado :wink:

I dunno what table you have, but a tip to try and minimise crossbar hitting is to set the ball pinning position really far forward. That way the man is hitting the ball above the centre of the ball so it tends to stay on the ground easier. The only problem is you lose the ability to square the ball off as easily, so it tends to spray into the corners. Thats only a problem if your opponent realises that this means he doesnt need to defend all the way out on the long hole, as the 3/4 gap will probably cover the sprayed snake shot anyways.

What happened to just having it as a hobby and playin for a laugh?? C'mon now, haven't you heard? Snakes aren't fun! :P
I hated every minute of training, but I said "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Please subscribe/comment/support my blog at http://happyham1986.blogspot.com/

CannonBallGuy

Post by CannonBallGuy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:08 am

Thanks for the help Joe!

I like to learn new stuff, so this is still a fun hobby for me (I'm not good enough to compete at tournaments anyway). :)
It's a pinny foot garlando, but not with the ITSF goals with the posts, etc, so could be one of the tables you mentioned.
It also could be that I pin too far back sometimes, so I can try pinning further forward to see if it helps.

I really should buy a Tornado - I was looking a few months ago but it looked like my circumstances might change and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to keep a table... It's looking now like it won't be a problem so I might try switching again.

Jonathan may
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan may » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:58 am

The reason the ball hits the crossbar is because the ball is too light and too grippy. Compared to the white bahrenhertz balls that were the right ball for the WC tables, the new magic ball and subsequent ITSF balls are just not going to work well.

Of course, as seems to be typical now of most table manufacturers, they "fixed" the problem by making the most ridiculously overkill changes to the table, very nearly ruining it entirely (and alienating large parts of their core player base in Austria). The changes were to slightly raise the holes on the sides of the tables where the rods go, meaning that the player figure is slightly further from the surface. This means that the player figure shoots from a higher position so is less likely to lift the ball. Unfortunately it also has the rather brain-dead impact of massively narrowing down the acceptable pinning angle for the ball (causing people to whinge that the balls can be too slippery! they aren't, you just haven't got used to the narrow angle yet) and causing the the brush pass "zone" (where it's possible to get a good brush on the ball) to become tiny (causing many people to whinge about the balls - don't set up for a brush, etc, etc - trust me, the balls are fine, you just can't play the table!).

PS it also makes tictacs harder, because by raising the rod you are giving less surface area of the man in contact with the ball at the point of impact with the side, giving less adjustment grip (when you flick the man slightly at the point of impact to adjust the ball's path).

Enough history. The best way to stop hitting the crossbar is to give the balls a good clean (don't use abrasive cleaning cloths). This should stop them being overly tacky, and lessen the grip between man and ball at the point of contact a little. Additionally, clean the striker's foot (on both sides) to remove extra gunk that gives it too much grip or imparts extra dirt onto the ball.

If none of that works, attach a piece of sellotape to the front of the striker's foot. This should remove most of the grip at the point of impact.

Now you understand the reason you should be able to fix it with a little imagination. I had a match at Warwick a few years ago against The Viking where we both kept smashing the snake against the crossbar. It took forever. We could only score slow straights. Hitting the crossbar doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your technique, so don't change it.
--
Manager, TeamGB.

CannonBallGuy

Post by CannonBallGuy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:21 am

Thanks for the history and the tip, Jon.

The balls I'm using at the minute actually are very dirty, so that does sound a very likely cause - I'll try cleaning them.
What would you recommend? Just warm soapy water?

Philo

Post by Philo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:53 am

Jon May wrote:Of course, as seems to be typical now of most table manufacturers, they "fixed" the problem by making the most ridiculously overkill changes to the table, very nearly ruining it entirely (and alienating large parts of their core player base in Austria). The changes were to slightly raise the holes on the sides of the tables where the rods go, meaning that the player figure is slightly further from the surface. This means that the player figure shoots from a higher position so is less likely to lift the ball. Unfortunately it also has the rather brain-dead impact of massively narrowing down the acceptable pinning angle for the ball (causing people to whinge that the balls can be too slippery! they aren't, you just haven't got used to the narrow angle yet) and causing the the brush pass "zone" (where it's possible to get a good brush on the ball) to become tiny (causing many people to whinge about the balls - don't set up for a brush, etc, etc - trust me, the balls are fine, you just can't play the table!).
Is this true Jon? Is that what they have done to garlando?
Philo

Jonathan may
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan may » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:12 am

CannonBallGuy wrote:Thanks for the history and the tip, Jon.

The balls I'm using at the minute actually are very dirty, so that does sound a very likely cause - I'll try cleaning them.
Yes.

You could also try Swarfega - go to B&Q - this will remove all grime without degrading the balls.
--
Manager, TeamGB.

Jonathan may
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan may » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:14 am

Philo wrote:
Jon May wrote:Of course, as seems to be typical now of most table manufacturers, they "fixed" the problem by making the most ridiculously overkill changes to the table, very nearly ruining it entirely (and alienating large parts of their core player base in Austria). The changes were to slightly raise the holes on the sides of the tables where the rods go, meaning that the player figure is slightly further from the surface. This means that the player figure shoots from a higher position so is less likely to lift the ball. Unfortunately it also has the rather brain-dead impact of massively narrowing down the acceptable pinning angle for the ball (causing people to whinge that the balls can be too slippery! they aren't, you just haven't got used to the narrow angle yet) and causing the the brush pass "zone" (where it's possible to get a good brush on the ball) to become tiny (causing many people to whinge about the balls - don't set up for a brush, etc, etc - trust me, the balls are fine, you just can't play the table!).
Is this true Jon? Is that what they have done to garlando?
Not sure if you're being facetious? But yes.

To be honest, it's not that bad, you just have to sort of start again and assume nothing about the table.
--
Manager, TeamGB.

Pete F

Post by Pete F » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:21 am

Jon May wrote:I had a match at Warwick a few years ago against The Viking
Wait. Did one of Craig's pre-reg darts players actually turn up?

jinxsi

Post by jinxsi » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:08 pm

wow, Swarfega, works brilliant.

jinxsi

CannonBallGuy

Post by CannonBallGuy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:11 pm

Jon May wrote:
CannonBallGuy wrote:Thanks for the history and the tip, Jon.

Yes.

You could also try Swarfega - go to B&Q - this will remove all grime without degrading the balls.
Fantastic tip. Eventually found the local B&Q, eventually found a 500g tub of Swarfega in the massive place... But glad I took the time to get it as it has cleaned up the balls and playing surface brilliantly and I expect the £3.97 tub will last quite a few years! :D

Rob Davey

Post by Rob Davey » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:13 pm

Joe Ham - Canonball bought Famous Al's table so maybe he should just fanny the shots like we had to :D

Happyham

Post by Happyham » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:22 pm

You mean you were fannying them in by choice?! I'm afraid thats just my snake :cry:
I hated every minute of training, but I said "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Please subscribe/comment/support my blog at http://happyham1986.blogspot.com/