A designated 'Pro' at each tournament...

Playing advice / tips / Rules
Post here if you need help from the experts!
Happyham

A designated 'Pro' at each tournament...

Post by Happyham » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:24 pm

Hopefully with the new website (discover) up and running, it should help a lot of new players and visitors to the site. They will learn what passes and shots are used. One thing this website will not be able to do as successfully, is teach technique.

Sure you can watch Shovie blast a long pull shot on the website, but.. it doesnt teach you HOW to do it. Technique does.

Technique is made up of stance and grip (and prolly other things). I think the easiest place to learn this, is at a tournament! You can physically see whats going on, and can ask players to help you out. The problem is that for a new player / rookie, they might find it a bit nagging, or daunting to ask a pro to give them some help on a certain shot (or whatever).

I like the idea of each tournament having a designated 'pro' who can help give tips on these sorts of tough to explain issues.
Efectively, you would have a tournament set up like this lol

Tournament organisor: X
Tournament Director: X
Head Official: X
Designated Pro: X

That way players would know who to go to, and know that they are obviously wiling to help them, as they are offering to do it.

So I'm asking two questions...

Would n00bs / rookies / even semi pro's benefit from such a person at each tournament? Is this worth doing??

Would there be many active pro's who would be happy to be part of a rotation from tournament to tournament? I would be happy to do it whilst I'm still here.

Would appreciate the feedback!
I hated every minute of training, but I said "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Please subscribe/comment/support my blog at http://happyham1986.blogspot.com/

tom_k
Site Administrator

Re: A designated 'Pro' at each tournament...

Post by tom_k » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:34 pm

I think it's a good idea where possible.
It'll also (hopefully) help new people meet some of the more established players, which for a noob at a major tournament can be quite daunting.

PADDY.

Post by PADDY. » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:39 pm

I think this is a great idea Joe,

Also a good way to add more value to a tourny.

Philo

Post by Philo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:42 pm

I would like this, I would be happy to help new players and would like to get the benefit of a top player telling me where i am going wrong.
Philo

CannonBallGuy

Post by CannonBallGuy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:22 pm

Happyham wrote:Would n00bs / rookies / even semi pro's benefit from such a person at each tournament? Is this worth doing??
Would appreciate the feedback!
Really nice idea. Most pros that I've chatted to, including you Joe :) are always happy to help and quite a few will even help you without being asked which is great! But having a designated pro around would be even better for us noobs!

Happyham

Post by Happyham » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:32 pm

I need to put a face to your name lol, I can't remember us talkin!! :oops:

Im glad people would be interesed in this!! I am assuming it is down to the tournament organisor whether they want a 'designated pro' or not.. so those who run tournaments.. would you consider creating this position for your tournaments??
It seems that pros are some of the least active members of the forum also, so I'm not worried that no pros have offered their services..... yet :? :P
I hated every minute of training, but I said "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:48 pm

I'm gonna ask someone tonight for the Bonzini tournament coming up...

davez

Post by davez » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:19 pm

Good idea.

Joe, what do you think about the following modification of your idea---.each Pro gets assigned a dedicated noob, who can "tag" the Pro during the tournament.

That way the work gets spread out more, and more noobs get a chance.
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

CannonBallGuy

Post by CannonBallGuy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:25 pm

davez wrote:Good idea.

Joe, what do you think about the following modification of your idea---.each Pro gets assigned a dedicated noob, who can "tag" the Pro during the tournament.

That way the work gets spread out more, and more noobs get a chance.
Yes, this would be a really great way to introduce new tournament go-ers to the game - an idea a lot like this was discussed before, perhaps somewhere in the multi=page discussion on Geoff Brice's newsletter interview, or at least around the same time I think.

jinxsi

Post by jinxsi » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:50 pm

Happyham wrote:I like the idea of each tournament having a designated 'pro' who can help give tips on these sorts of tough to explain issues.
Efectively, you would have a tournament set up like this lol

Tournament organisor: X
Tournament Director: X
Head Official: X
Designated Pro: X

That way players would know who to go to, and know that they are obviously wiling to help them, as they are offering to do it.
yup, excellent idea.

jinxsi

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:08 am

Juj has agreed to be the designated Pro at the Bar Kick tournament...

Happyham

Post by Happyham » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:31 am

Excellent!

Dave, your idea sounds fine too... tbh the whole purpose of it is to help new players learn things they might have trouble finding on the internet... as well as serve as a tool to integrate the new players into the social side of the tournaments too.

However this is done, I'm fine with.. and I'm all for spreading the work! I worry that there would be more new players / rookies / semi pros asking for help, than there are pros / pro-masters to give help! So as most questions don't take that long to answer.. I reckon a rookie doesnt need a pro of their own as a 'tag buddy'.

I suggest trying it with just one guy for the moment.. then.. depending on the feedback Juj gives.. see where to go from there?