Mase interviews Rob Atha.

Playing advice / tips / Rules
Post here if you need help from the experts!
Mase

Mase interviews Rob Atha.

Post by Mase » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:27 pm

smokinhack

Re: Mase interviews Rob Atha.

Post by smokinhack » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:16 pm

Mase wrote:2 parts.
So, er I guess you could say that it's a game of 2 halves Alan.

leaks

Post by leaks » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:36 pm

2nd part is here btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZI8d1T8P3s

Cheers Mase - very interesting! Completely missed this cos I was in a match the whole duration :S

Mase

Post by Mase » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:49 pm

Cheers Dave, all he did last night was take the Bloop as i apparently speak at the same pace as Gary Lineker.

smokinhack

Post by smokinhack » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:26 pm

Could be worse.

At least you don't talk like David Pleat or Garth Crooks. Now that would be hilarious foos commentary.

Craig

Post by Craig » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:07 pm

smokinhack wrote:David Pleat
Convicted kerb-crawler.

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:41 pm

mase:"how do you block tony sprederman?"

rob:"NOBODY DOES!!!!!!!!!"

ahaaa  :lol:

iljusha

Post by iljusha » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:49 pm

wish there wasnt the game sounds behind the scene

otherwise too noisy to get more than a half of what's said :mad:

But thanks anyway!
do more of that!

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:54 pm

I can make out all of it.

Mase

Post by Mase » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:48 pm

Ive spoken to a few people for whom english is not their native tongue. They also say they cant pick it all up.

Rob and i have a lot more of these planned.

Mase

PADDY.

Post by PADDY. » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:45 pm

Mase wrote: Rob and i have a lot more of these planned.

Mase
That is good news,

Getting Rob to do this for your tourney was a great idea and then filming it to share with the rest of us was really cool.

Looking forward to future videos.

iljusha

Post by iljusha » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:26 pm

Steviola wrote:I can make out all of it.
Are you a fast typist?)

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:50 pm

Like lightning.

iljusha

Post by iljusha » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:22 pm

well^^^
could you write in here the above mentionned interview?
would be greatly uppresciated - serious

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:00 pm

Lol, no!

Jonathan may
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan may » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:17 pm

If anyone has the original video, it should be possible to filter out the non human voice frequencies (ball rattling/goal sounds in the background) and amplify the speech, it's a pretty easy filter.

If the sound was recorded in stereo it might be possible to run even better filters, I'm no expert but there should be some audiophiles here.

The speed of the conversation is far too fast for anyone remotely normal to type it.

Next time, speak a little more slowly and get Rob a small wearable mic.
--
Manager, TeamGB.

Christopher Lyall
BFA Regional Rep - South West

Post by Christopher Lyall » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:31 pm

1st Video

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ben Mason (Mase): How do you think about the snake? How do you work your way round it? What are your thoughts on how you’re gonna defend each snake? Is it generic?

Rob Atha (Rob): It’s a person isn’t it. You’ve got to find out the best strategy, you see, if they’ve got a better pull side, a better push side, which one’s their favourite. Whichever one’s their favourite side you’ve gotta talk them into shooting it. So if they’ve got a better push side start off showing them the push side, because if it’s the better one then they’re going to be looking at it automatically. So show them, then fake to go there once or twice then they’ve gotta wait for you to go there and come back, then you fake, and try and stay on it. And try and bob between the straight and the long with the goalie [Demonstrates].

Mase: So do you always adopt that strategy to start with? Or how do you attack from there?

Rob: I don’t do anything at the start to be honest. I’m just watching what they’re gonna do, what they’re favourite side is, then try and work that out within the first game, or they might normally win [Laughs], then try and shut them down later on.

Mase: So you use the first game...?

Rob: First game in a best of five.

[Mase: Can you turn the music off?!]

Rob: Best of three then I might just go crazy. If it’s best of five then normally in the first game I’ll try and work out what they’re gonna do, though obviously if I’ve seen them before then I’ll know which is the better side and I’ll try talking them into shooting that side, and try and mix it up, try and always have your men in the right positions, because if you’re in no-man’s land like this defence here [Demonstrates with men on shorts] you’re not on the pull, you’re not on the push, you’re not on the straight, they’ve got all three options, you’ve gotta make it so you’re positioning is always right so you’re on two of the three holes basically, come in and out sometimes, sometimes stop, sometimes don’t stop, move, sometimes fake to move so they’re gonna wait for you to move; because there’s two types of snake shooters mainly, one of them is the snake who actually waits for a hole and times the hole, if they’re looking at the man waiting for you to move off the hole then shoot it, or they’ll be someone with a faster snake who’ll just go straight at the hole, who’ll go for the faster shot when it’s there, so you’ve got work out what kind of shooter they are, if they’re gonna time you or they’re gonna try and beat you to the hole, so then you adopt the right strategy after that.

Mase: Playing some of the best players in the world, the best snakers in the world like Rob Mares, Tony Spredeman, Billy Pappas, what do you do against someone like Rob [Mares] who doesn’t even tend to look at the hole? How do you defend against that, because you can’t sell him the hole...?

Rob: No you can’t. With someone who guesses like that you’ve just gotta pick two holes and commit to it. You’ve gotta go with the guess. You’ve gotta think, alright, he’s gonna shoot one of three holes, you’ve gotta make sure you’re on two of the three and don’t let him fake you off it. He’s not looking at a hole so sometimes you can just stay still and push back to the middle and he won’t move, so stuff like that. If someone’s shooting really fast you’ve just gotta guess basically, be on two of the three holes, make sure you’re never in no-man’s land.

Mase: So you’re saying the worst thing you can do is be nowhere...

Rob: Never look at the ball.

Mase: Never look at the ball?

Rob: No don’t look at the ball. Because if they’re gonna shoot they might fake you and you’ll be more prone to fakes if they’re shooting fast.

Mase: Alright. And if you find you’re getting drilled, if it’s the fifth game and you haven’t gotten to grips with them, what are you gonna do then?

Rob: Adapt [Laughs].

Mase: How do you do that? Is that just pick and commit?

Rob: Yeah well you’ve gotta change something up, if they’re drilling you there must be a reason, they must be keying on something in your defence, they must’ve seen something in your defence that you don’t know about, that’s why they’re scoring on you. That’s why I say sometimes if they’re drilling you you’ve gotta shake [oscillates 1 and 2 bar back and forth], the more you wait try and leave a bigger middle because you’re showing the longs at the beginning and if you open up then you’re disguising that the middle’s open basically and you try and be on the longs when they shoot, or sometimes come in with a three-man ‘D’ (defence).

Mase: Okay, well that’s fantastic. Thank you for that. The next section is stick passing, so that’ll be a live demonstration I imagine.

Rob: Yeah I guess it will [Laughs].

Mase: Just the ins and outs of stick passing, we all know it’s not perhaps as easy to learn as the brush pass, but the Americans seem to use it. Dave Gummeson a master of it. Why don’t you just go ahead and show us a few.

Rob: Well it depends what kind of stick passing you want to do, there’s three different types of stick passes, the one where Billy Pappas will just set it up like that [Demonstrates], he’ll just go lane or wall, pick a hole and beat you to the hole, so it’ll be lane from that position or the wall, so he’s sitting and waiting for a hole and pounding it when it’s there [Demonstrates twice]. I can’t do it without a grip [Laughs]. Or there’s Dave Gummeson who moves it around. If you’ve got this stick pass [sets up Billy Pappas style] there’s only two options so you can’t really mix anything else with it, you’ve just gotta beat them for speed. But Dave Gummeson, he’s more likely to tick tack and he’ll throw in brushes sometimes or he’ll do a stick pass from the same position so he’s got more options. It’s difficult to demonstrate his five bar as it’s only really he that can do that the way he does it.

Mase: How do you stick pass then? You’ve just told us that there’s two ways: there’s Billy and there’s Dave. You don’t do that, so what do you do?

Rob: I’m more like Tom Yore. He weaves in and out, then he’ll set up here [Demonstrates] and then he’ll check if you’re in the lane or the wall, and when he brings it down he’ll check if you’re gonna jump or you’re gonna stay. When I check it and he’s like that [Demonstrates], I think I can go higher than him (in lane) because he’s not high enough [Demonstrates and is blocked], but Rob (Davey) knew he was [Laughs]. So I’m doing it like that [Demonstrates weave], and then I stop it and see where he is [Demonstrates]. Or if you drag it down you can see he’s jumping up to the lane and you can do a little bit of a hesitation wall pass.

Mase: For those that don’t know the ins and outs of the term ‘hesitation wall pass’, could you quickly explain that?

Rob: Hesitation wall pass is where you sell them that you’re gonna go lane. You’ll touch it and then hit it fast again [Demonstrates]. I can’t do it because I need my grip.

A pause as Rob grips up. Meanwhile Grzegorsz Zakowski and Christopher Haddon are called over the speaker system to table four by a desk helper. Rob Davey practices a few stick passes as Rob Atha is gripping up.

Rob: Hesitation is where you hesitate and then whack a wall pass as fast as you can.

Mase: So your hesitation is what’s allowing them to jump up. You’re selling them the lane?

Rob: Yeah you hesitate, come out with this player (near man on five bar) a little bit so they jump in the lane like Rob (Davey) did, then just whack a wall pass if you can execute it – it’s pretty hard. I’m not really the best at that pass. I don’t use that pass very much I was just demonstrating the thought process behind it.

Mase: That’s fantastic. Stick pass versus brush pass: which do you favour?

Rob: I prefer brush.

Mase: And the reason behind that...?

Rob: There’s loads more options with the brush pass. You’ve got three or four different wall passes you can do, and fifty different types of lane passes. You can pass from the same position, or the way you sell it to them... [Demonstrates] like that one, what you do is just throw in a little kick and do a lane pass, or sometimes you can do a smooth one without hitching [Demonstrates]. Or the bump lane is where you bring it across, bump the wall so he jumps to the wall, and just hit it through the lane. Then there’s the runner which is what Rob Davey does really well. A runner pass is where you bring the ball down fast but you brush it up in the same motion [Rob Davey demonstrates]. You must be nervous [Laughs].

Mase: So you’ve already shown us there’s four options for the same hole...

Rob: Yeah. Runners you’re just trying to bring the ball down fast and it looks like you’re trying to go wall, and you brush it through the lane at the same time. You can do a hesitation runner, double-tap [Demonstrates]. Rob Davey does that a lot when he does the double tap. [Demonstrates] I just threw a little shimmy in with my men.

Mase: So you’ve now done about 7 variations on one hole so it shows how many options there are.

Rob: Oh yeah, there’s loads of options.

Mase: So we don’t over-run we’re gonna have to go onto the next one which is a weird question, I can’t remember who asked this one: When is the best time to take a time-out? How do you work your time-out thinking?

Rob: The best time to take a time-out is whenever you think of taking one. If you ever think of taking a time out then take it because nine times out of ten if you think of taking a time out then decide to shoot it, most of the time you’re gonna miss and you’re gonna kick yourself for not taking one. So if you think of taking a time-out then just take one, leave it at that. [To Dave Ziemann] Do you agree with that?

Dave Ziemann: Yes. [Laughs]

Rob: So many times I’ve gotten the ball at four-four, I’ve been scoring pretty good, I set it up and think ‘I don’t need to take a time-out’ and then I get baited into a hole and I shoot and I think ‘Bollocks, why didn’t I just wait?’. When you take a time-out think: What’s been working? Try and think effectively, try and think of a good game plan of what’s gonna happen and just stick to that and commit to it.

Mase: I remember when I was in Vegas Norm Cloney told me he was a massive believer in taking a time-out to break up their play: If you’ve conceded two on the bounce, even if they’ve been slop or great goals, take a time-out to break up their rhythm. Are you a great believer in this?

Rob: Yeah. Momentum breakers: it’s like a defensive time-out. Say you’re winning four-one and suddenly they’ve passed and scored, it’s four-two. They’re really motivated, then you pass and they slop it back into your goal and it’s four-three, suddenly you’re under pressure, take a time-out and slow them down a little bit. It breaks their momentum and re-gathers your own thoughts rather than rushing in. If you’re four-one up then you wanna finish the game, and you’ll be doing things without thinking, so take a time-out and re-gather your thoughts, stop their momentum and obviously come up with a game plan to carry on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Took about an hour. Someone else can do 2nd video.
Last edited by Christopher Lyall on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
www.fivebar.co.uk - Foosball Tournaments, Leagues, Shop

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:14 pm

Epic.
Jon May wrote:The speed of the conversation is far too fast for anyone remotely normal to type it.
lol
Last edited by Bundy Volume 1 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mase

Post by Mase » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:59 pm

Chris Lyall what a legend. Fantastic effort mate.

Mase

iljusha

Post by iljusha » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:47 pm

I owe you a bottle of vodka, fabulous job!
Thanks