Tornado vs Garlando

Playing advice / tips / Rules
Post here if you need help from the experts!
Sampson

Tornado vs Garlando

Post by Sampson » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:36 pm

I plan to attend the TUKC in Bristol but have never played on a Tornado table in my life.
I have, like most Foosball newbies, learnt my game from a blocky Garlando table installed in my common room by Geoff Brice.  I have also played a bit on pinny Garlando.

Basically, what I'm asking is, what are the main differences between a Tornado table and a pinny Garlando table?

Help appreciated :)
Luke.

Philo

Post by Philo » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:44 pm

If you are used to blocky garlando with telescopic rods then your biggest difference in my opinion will be the increased weight of the rods. Tornado will seem really heavy initially.
Philo

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:59 pm

Weight of rods is the big one.

The midfield passing to attack will probably look different (ie better), as the wall pass can be hit very well by the good (Semi-Pro and above) players, so stopping passing through can be hard (If you sit with the man on the wall all/ nearly all the time to block this wall pass, they will pass easily through the channel between the last 2 men)

I find there are generally less goals from defence scored in tornado (The ball is slightly larger, men slightly wider and goal slightly smaller to make it altogether a less random and more consistent experience.) Also the balls will generally roll straighter, and Tornado is probably overall the more purists table.

I can barely move the rods though unfortunately, so i'd get down the gym in the next couple of weeks. Or better find a tornado to practice on....
Still going....

davez

Post by davez » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:13 pm

Luke,

One problem moving from G to T is that you naturally want to move the rod as fast as you do on G.

And you can't because it's much heavier.

But the thing to try to learn is that you don't need to move it as fast. You have to slow everything down. It's a heavier rod (heavier steel and also the Tornado figures' heads are counterweighted) so you can impart the same momentum to the ball with less speed. It's also much more a question of getting the technique, even a weedy guy like me can make the ball move fast.

Also, a much higher degree of control is possibe on a Tornado because the components are machined to a much higher specification, and the ball is also round. The problem is that until you learn that control you don't realise you can do it, and so you are at an initial disadvantage.

If you turn up without having touched a Tornado you must be prepared to be very frustrated by your lack of ability to do all the things you know you ought to be able to do.

So, if you can get a few practice sessions on one before the tourney it will pay you dividends.

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:58 pm

Luke,

I highly recommend you come along to the tournament for the experience.

The 1st time I ever touched a tornado was at Hereford '07, having pretty much only ever played on block foot garlando's previously.

I instantly really liked the tables. I found control easier, and I could still do all the shots I used to be able to do on garlando.

Yes the rods are heavier, but you should adjust pretty quickly.

Sampson

Post by Sampson » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:39 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys - sounds like I need to start workin' out again! :P

I hope to find a venue near me with a Tornado table in so I can get a bit of practice in - I'm sure that will work wonders for me and my mate.

El Capitan

Post by El Capitan » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:56 pm

Sampson wrote:I hope to find a venue near me with a Tornado table in so I can get a bit of practice in - I'm sure that will work wonders for me and my mate.
Hmmm - good luck with that search! There are very very few tables in the UK as they are rather unappealing to operators (cost + design)

There is one in the Solihull Moors Club, which may be your best bet. 50p for 9 balls.

DaveC

Post by DaveC » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:12 pm

One of the main differences is the colour of the figurines. On garlando they are red and blue, on tornado they are yellow and black (much like an angry wasp).

Oatsey

warwick

Post by Oatsey » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:10 pm

I thought there was a tornado in Warwick uni somehere?

sparky

Re: warwick

Post by sparky » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:30 pm

Oatsey wrote:I thought there was a tornado in Warwick uni somehere?
Used to be. Unfortunately the student's union is being rebuilt so we had to move our Tornado and Garlando out for this year :(

Rob Atha

Post by Rob Atha » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:14 pm

Tornado vs garlando hmm. I believe this is a similar comparison

Garlando= http://doreenscreations.com/thumbnails/ ... colate.jpg

Tornado = http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ie_bar.JPG

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:20 pm

Rob Atha wrote:Tornado vs garlando hmm. I believe this is a similar comparison

:lol:

Sampson

Post by Sampson » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:04 pm

Rob Atha wrote:Tornado vs garlando hmm. I believe this is a similar comparison

Lol thanks Rob - you put things into a language I can understand :lol:

davez

Post by davez » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:58 pm

Rob I didn't know you were so funny!

Lil Brice

Post by Lil Brice » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:11 pm

Lol Rob!  Just you wait till I tell my Daddy what you siad though!

davez

Post by davez » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:24 pm

Hmmmm..another newsletter....

Hitmann2002

Re: Tornado vs Garlando

Post by Hitmann2002 » Sat May 17, 2014 12:02 am

Hi
I have a Garlando Evolution G500 table. I am an intermediate player and love the game I hope one day I will be good as all of you.

I decided to buy new foosballs for my table since the plastic white balls that came with the table had little control and got warped.

I decided to buy the Tornado Redish ones, but once received I was quite disappointed. I found them to be a lot larger than the Garlando balls, heavier and the game became a lot slower. I get the impression the men will break.

Are these balls okay for the table that I have? Will I damage the men? The balls look too large to for players.

Are there any recommended balls that I can purchase or are the tornado balls okay? I am looking for foosballs that I can purchase in Canada and give better control than the white balls and roll straight.

Thanks,
Alex