Singles strategies

Playing advice / tips / Rules
Post here if you need help from the experts!
Bushy

Singles strategies

Post by Bushy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:20 pm

I havent realy seen a post regarding ways to use your 4 bars to maximise your game so i thought id start a post and throw in some things ive seen/learnt  :)
Unfortunatly i never really get to play singles much as all the yobs in my local just want to play doubles and i only practice solo at home as nobody within 30 miles is really interested in the game so dont expect anything new here but it may prove usefull to some.

below i have put different methods of passing/dealing with the ball when it is in certain zones of the table:

General Play
1 bar & 2 bar in left hand and right hand switching from 5 bar to 3 bar depending on location.
5 bar and 3 bar up when ball is in your golie possetion.

2 bar or 1 bar (If garlando)
There are 3 different varations here, seems most people rase the 3 bar and 5 bar and genrally go for a goal kick down the middle.There is also the other method of leaving the 3 bar down infront of there golie hoping u may catch a missed goal shot.
Also there is another method used when goal shots are failing, which is to put your 5 bar up and your 3 bar down next to the near wall, place your hands on your 2 bar and 3 bar and pass it up the wall.As soon as the ball passes  your 5 bar nudge it with your side or elbow to put it in the down position but this has the obvious problem of the otherside seeing what you are about to do and intercept.

5 bar & 3 bar
This is usually handled like a normal doubles game with your hands on the 5 bar and 3 bar waiting to pass.The goals are usually covered to have the men covering both corners with your 5bar center man covering the streight.

Opposing 2bar & 1 bar
Hold the 1 bar and 2 bar in your left hand with them placed at the 2 edges of the goal. Have your 5 bar down with the middle man exactly in the middle and have your 3 bar in your right had rewady to catch the shot and block any remaining gaps.

Pete F

Re: Singles strategies

Post by Pete F » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:24 pm

Bushy wrote:As soon as the ball passes your 5 bar nudge it with your side or elbow to put it in the down position
Is this legal?

I have certainly done it in the past and not been called on it but I was just curious if there is a rule that you have to use your hands / wrists on the rod handles.  Had a scan through the ITSF rules but couldn't see anything.

fool_on_the_hill

Re: Singles strategies

Post by fool_on_the_hill » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:30 pm

Pete F wrote:I have certainly done it in the past and not been called on it but I was just curious if there is a rule that you have to use your hands / wrists on the rod handles.  Had a scan through the ITSF rules but couldn't see anything.
There definitely used to be such a rule. I'm not familiar with the new ITSF rules though.

Chaz

Post by Chaz » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:50 pm

Rule used to allow only using hands I believe. Imagine it still exists. Do people notice to call you on it though? :P

Bushy

Post by Bushy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:44 am

I personally havent used that one at an event. Think we need a yes/no on deliberate moving of handles without your hand/wrist on this one...

davez

Post by davez » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:33 am

This is what I know about this...

The term hand / wrist is used explicity in the ITSF rules a couple of times, in order to clarify that wrist control is allowed.

In doubles you are not allowed to play a rod normally designated for your partner.

It is explicitly allowed to use two hands to control a rod.

In the past I have used my hip to freeze my 5-bar when my opponent has the ball on their 2-bar, and wondered if this was legal.

When defending against the 2-bar on Tornado, Todd Loffredo is known for using his right elbow to control his 3-bar while using his right hand on the 5 and left hand spread across the golie and 2-bar. This was legal on Tornado and is presumably on ITSF as well.

Although I cannot find anything explicit in the ITSF rules about this, a referee could call a distraction, depending on what you do. For example, any "excessive switching" between rods can be deemed a distraction.

Also, any movement of a rod behind the ball is a distraction.

I know that table manufacturers and the ITSF have put thought into issues raised by wheelchair competitors, and I wonder if not explicity prohibiting using other parts of the body is intentional.

I'll see if I can find out any more about this...

Dave

Daleken

Post by Daleken » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:42 am

Samantha DiPaolo used her elbow to control the 3-bar in the 2006 World Championships, and the match was ref'ed. So it was allowed back then.
Kenneth L. Dale

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:30 pm

Using the hip etc was banned in the old Austrian Garlando rules but doesn't seem to be banned by ITSF.