Valid move? (banging man against wall/ball)

Playing advice / tips / Rules
Post here if you need help from the experts!
chucklepie

Valid move? (banging man against wall/ball)

Post by chucklepie » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:19 pm

Is this a legal move?

Pin the ball to the side with one of the front players then pull back and force the rod/player hard against the edge of the ball making it go at some speed into the goal diagonally?

Someone at work has started doing this a lot and there's not much defence to it.

thanks.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Re: Valid move? (banging man against wall/ball)

Post by Boris » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:02 pm

Are you talking about a 'squeeze' shot where the ball is propelled via pressure on top of the ball (legal) or slamming the ball against the side of the cabinet with the rod thus jarring the table (illegal if the table is jarred)?

chucklepie

Post by chucklepie » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:26 pm

Giving it's banging the edge player against the ball which is against the wall I'm guessing that the equivalent of jarring?

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:30 pm

Should be easy to defend if you put two men one behind the other in a wall, near to the edge of the goal on the side where he's making the shot.

Jonathan May
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan May » Mon May 29, 2017 11:30 am

It's not clear to me that banging the playing figure hard against the BALL would constitute a foul. This wouldn't be considered a foul if done accidentally, for sure - this happens a lot during loose singles play when trying to catch the ball. I think this is one of those where if the ball goes in the goal clean it's going to be a goal, but if it doesn't - and deflects off anything before then going in, or the defender losing it, you're going to call it a jar, as it's likely that the jarring action could affect the trajectory of the ball, or a distraction, as the jar could affect the attention of the defender. Without seeing it myself it's hard to judge.

The simplest solution is to work out a defence to it. Most pro players will be able to stop this at least 9/10 times, which means it's a useless shot in a competitive match, except as one to use as a "surprise" shot. And once you block it, the player will stop doing it, as it won't be worth the wasted possession.

With decent balls, I used to have a surprise shot like this on Garlando (backpin squeeze cut from the wing men on the 3). Lethal the first time and hopeless otherwise. When they changed the balls this stopped being possible, consistently.

This stuff's kind of like spinning. When you're new to the game, it's really annoying and feels unfair. When you've been playing a bit, your approach is more like: "spin all you like, you ain't touching it".
--
Manager, TeamGB.