Avram Grant

Off-topic discussion, jokes, miscellaneous requests

Should Avram have been given the boot?

Yes, cos he didn't win anything
7%
Unsure/don't care/I hate Chelsea
21%
No, he did great in only 9 months, what's the world coming to?
71%

Total votes: 28

Martyn

Avram Grant

Post by Martyn » Sat May 24, 2008 11:09 pm

Since his appointment in September 2007:
Runner up in the Champions League final
Runner up in the Premiership League
Runner up in the Carling Cup final
Quarter finalilist in the the FA Cup
Lost only 5 games since he took charge.

Sacked.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

The Doctor
BFA Chairman

Post by The Doctor » Sun May 25, 2008 8:05 pm

Silly decision - they just want one of the big names for the sake of it.

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Sun May 25, 2008 8:46 pm

Real Madrid have sacked managers after they've won the league.
This shouldn't be surprising.

Mase

Post by Mase » Sun May 25, 2008 9:05 pm

I think the sacking of Sven is even more surprising.

Avram grant was never popular with players or fans.

Sven has managed to achieve a placing not seen since i was born. All players and fans love him.

We live in a harsh world.

Mase

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:36 pm

City were poor towards the end of the season, lucky to get into europe. Even though they were impressive in the 1st half, and a massive improvement over last season and pretty much anything I ever remember city doing.

However, with the money spent in the summer (transfers and large wages), the end of season poor football, and the chairman I don't find it surprising that it seems likely Sven will be sacked.

Big money new owners want success, and 'attractive' attacking football. With these a team can have world wide popularity, generating far greater revenue and making the owner look good.

Teams that are in these positions cannot get by playing gritty, but effective, football that Chelsea have been recently. This is why Real Madrid sacked Capello even after winning the league.
They certainly wont have time for managers who have poor runs either.

The influx of mega-rich chairmen have transformed the game today. Its a negative spiral, its now VERY hard to achieve success using other methods. Some will argue that teams like Arsenal and Man U have built success without a single huge source of money - but they have slowly built a popular and attractive style of football over the last 15 years (only taking into account the 'modern' era of football), I doubt this would be possible today.

The obv example of this is everton. We have become the most successful team in english football without huge amounts of money (by current premiership standards, given the teams around and above us, I know those who support teams from the championship and below would give anything to see as much money as we have). Blackburn are another example. With little money we have built a top quality side who can be considered to have the potential to mount a serious challenge to breaking into the top 4. However, as ever optimistic that I am, I realise that it is very unlikely that we will challenge for the title, with the current board, for the foreseeable future.

I'm obv bored, but my long-winded point is that in the current football climate, which has been bred by 'fans' demand for attacking football and football economics, it shouldn't be surprising to see any manager at a top club sacked at any point.

The Doctor
BFA Chairman

Post by The Doctor » Mon May 26, 2008 2:10 am

evertonian wrote:Big money new owners want success, and 'attractive' attacking football. With these a team can have world wide popularity, generating far greater revenue and making the owner look good.
Chelsea could appoint any manager they want, but with their current squad list - Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Drogba etc - they aren't going to be playing attractive football any time soon.

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon May 26, 2008 8:58 am

evertonian wrote:Real Madrid have sacked managers after they've won the league.
This shouldn't be surprising.
Not just Real Madrid - from memory Barcelona and PSV both let Sir Bobby go after great seasons because they had their eye on someone else. And he was the big name of the day.