Liverpool Open 2012 - Discussion thread

Foosball chat / key issues and discussion
Rytis Mitkus

Liverpool Open 2012 - Discussion thread

Post by Rytis Mitkus » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:35 pm

MOD - Tournament announcement page and full details - http://forum.britfoos.com/forum/viewtop ... f=1&t=9225
OS/OD – Double Elimination – best of 5/5 Winners Bracket (3/5 to last 32), 3/5 Losers Bracket. Final Berliner Format (best of 6) ITSF Deuce Rule applies in 5th/6th games.

thats a riddle for me. anyone want to explain?

Simmo

Re: Liverpool Open 2012 - Announcement

Post by Simmo » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:34 pm

Rytis Mitkus wrote:
OS/OD – Double Elimination – best of 5/5 Winners Bracket (3/5 to last 32), 3/5 Losers Bracket. Final Berliner Format (best of 6) ITSF Deuce Rule applies in 5th/6th games.

Depending of how many players turn up the 1st round or two will be 3/5 so that it reduces the chance of the tournament of overrunning.

Rytis Mitkus

Post by Rytis Mitkus » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:49 pm

Simmo wrote:
Rytis Mitkus wrote:

Depending of how many players turn up the 1st round or two will be 3/5 so that it reduces the chance of the tournament of overrunning.
also increases the chance of losing by accident:/

Rytis Mitkus

Post by Rytis Mitkus » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:57 pm

also could anyone write a list of hotels/hostels in walking distance?

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:57 am

You run tournaments with 1.7 format qualifying games in unseeded 'groups' - so shush now.

P.S - Merry Christmas one and all.

Rytis Mitkus

Post by Rytis Mitkus » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:55 pm

Joe Bundy wrote:You run tournaments with 1.7 format qualifying games in unseeded 'groups' - so shush now.

P.S - Merry Christmas one and all.
i wont go into discussion which format is better

Merry Christmas

jagiar

Post by jagiar » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:09 am

A few questions please...

1) Will this tournament be played exclusively on Garlando tables?
2) Which ball will be used?
3) If I'm a foreign plyer (licensed with th ITSF) but not ranked (my fisrt tourney), what is the highest level that I am eligible to play at. Can I play Open Singles?
4) What is the best way of getting to the venue (from any airport) if you don't plan on renting a car (just curious - will rent if necessary).

Thanks

Bundy Volume 1

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:59 am

Rytis Mitkus wrote:I wont go into discussion which format is better
I understand, I wouldn't want to go into a debate with it obvious I was wrong either :wink:
jagiar wrote:A few questions please...

1) Will this tournament be played exclusively on Garlando tables? - Yes
2) Which ball will be used? - I imagine the High Control Kicker Ball - Boris will confirm though.
3) If I'm a foreign plyer (licensed with th ITSF) but not ranked (my fisrt tourney), what is the highest level that I am eligible to play at. Can I play Open Singles? - You'll be semi-pro I imagine, meaning you can play Semi-pro + Pro + Open events
4) What is the best way of getting to the venue (from any airport) if you don't plan on renting a car (just curious - will rent if necessary). - Liverpool airport isn't very far from the city centre. You can get the train from South Parkway to Lime Street (1 minutes walk from venue) or the 86 (? - I'll check that when I'm back up in Liverpool) bus into town.

jagiar

Post by jagiar » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Some more questions...

If I just wanted to take part in the semi-pro and open singles event, would I just need to register on Saturday (and not on Friday) then?

Also are the semi-pro and open singles events likely (from past LO tourney experience) to spill over to Sunday. Knowing this helps with flight and hotel bookings.

Thanks

Greta

Post by Greta » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:09 pm

ITSF dress code?

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:24 pm

Rytis Mitkus wrote:also could anyone write a list of hotels/hostels in walking distance?
Done - See main announcement... The Adelphi is just across the street and is good if you like faded olde-worlde charm.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:43 pm

jagiar wrote:Some more questions...

If I just wanted to take part in the semi-pro and open singles event, would I just need to register on Saturday (and not on Friday) then?

Also are the semi-pro and open singles events likely (from past LO tourney experience) to spill over to Sunday. Knowing this helps with flight and hotel bookings.

Thanks
You can register on Saturday Morning and up to 30 minutes before an event is due to start. You would have to pay the fees for these events (any any other events you are entering) plus the registration fee of £10 per person.

It is intended to finish all events on the day but some matches (e.g. finals) may be held over until Sunday morning if not completed - last matches will be called around 12.30am.

Players who pre-register before the deadline for all their events with partners will receive a £5 per person discount on their total entry fees. Package deals are only available to eligible pre-registered players. Pre-registered players will automatically be entered for their first scheduled event but will be scratched from any subsequent events until registration is confirmed and will forfeit their matches via the recall procedure. Players entering the Friday DYP must be present within the venue by the time of the draw.

The tournament organiser and/or tournament director may forfeit players who have not paid full entry fees to any event one hour after it has commenced.
4) What is the best way of getting to the venue (from any airport) if you don't plan on renting a car (just curious - will rent if necessary). - Liverpool airport isn't very far from the city centre. You can get the train from South Parkway to Lime Street (1 minutes walk from venue) or the 86 (? - I'll check that when I'm back up in Liverpool) bus into town.
The 86A Bus travels between Liverpool John Lennon Airport and the City Centre and stops 100m from the venue. Look out for a bombed-out church on your left when the bus is on a downhill 'dual-carriageway' when in the city, it usually stops outside and you want the next stop on Renshaw street outside Lewis's (now defunct). Cross the road and pass the Adelphi taking the road uphill (Copperas Hill) on the far side of the hotel and the venue is 50m on your left. Otherwise a taxi costs around £15 each way with a journey time of 20-25 minutes.

From Manchester Airport there are hourly direct trains to Liverpool Lime Street taking just over an hour and departing at 20 minutes to the hour, or just after the hour there is train to Manchester Piccadilly then to Lime St leaving Piccadilly at 37 minutes past the hour, taking about 1 1/2 hours in total. Details at www.thetrainline.com.

If arriving by train at Liverpool Lime Street leave via the left side of the concourse past the taxi rank, opposite you is Bolton St with the venue at the end on the left (2 minutes walk). From Liverpool Central station turn right out of the concourse and follow the road uphill, to the left of the Adelphi Hotel, the venue is on your left around 50m past the Adelphi.

jagiar

Post by jagiar » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:10 pm

What type of ball, please Boris?]

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:02 pm

jagiar wrote:What type of ball, please Boris?]
I've ordered HCKBs.

cmau

Post by cmau » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:26 pm

No package for SPs? I'd assume the $5 off incentive still applies though right for SPs?

Also it's quite funny to see there be a charge for referees. I'll be sure to play extra dirty and split the earnings with any refs who are interested.

EDIT: Briefly, can someone confirm that the HCKB is actually a Barenherz with a different name?

Bundy Volume 1

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:00 pm

cmau wrote:EDIT: Briefly, can someone confirm that the HCKB is actually a Barenherz with a different name?
No, it's the 'new' ITSF Garlando ball. Actually the old high control ball - the heavy, orange, slightly furry one (description not to be confused with one of Bobby Moss).

davez

Post by davez » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:03 pm

Boris wrote:Referees – The head official will maintain a list of qualified referees available to officiate matches where required. If a referee is requested each player must pay a fee of £2.50 for a doubles match (£5 per team) or £3 per player for a singles match, irrespective of the number of remaining games or the level of qualification of the referee. No fee is payable for officiating where referee is appointed by the head official prior to the match (e.g. for finals or any televised matches), except where a higher-ranked official is requested by either team.
I support the idea of charging for referees, but in my opinion the above is a mistake for two reasons. First, the amount is too large; the result will be that referees will not be called when they should be, which will cause arguments of increased severity and more delay. Such delays will in turn result in allocation of referees by the HO in order to expedite the tournament, which will then quickly erode the idea of charging for referees.

Secondly, the above contains no statement that indicates whether (or how much of) the proceeds from each refereed match will go directly to that referee.

It bothers me that this should get off the drawing board when it's so evidently wrong. We should be encouraging new referees and encouraging existing referees to referee more. Instead what we have here is something that will discourage players from using referees when they are needed.
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

ybbun

Post by ybbun » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:38 pm

When will the rankings to be used for this tournament be available? 1st January?

I'd prefer a reffing structure where each player pays a small amount (eg £2) at the start of the tournament, to cover all reffing throughout. There are 2 or 3 players who seem to require refs far more than anyone else, and it sucks to punish their opponents.

jagiar

Post by jagiar » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:35 pm

ybbun wrote:When will the rankings to be used for this tournament be available? 1st January?

I'd prefer a reffing structure where each player pays a small amount (eg £2) at the start of the tournament, to cover all reffing throughout. There are 2 or 3 players who seem to require refs far more than anyone else, and it sucks to punish their opponents.
My opinion may not count, but I agree.

cbalife

Post by cbalife » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:58 pm

Joe Bundy wrote:
cmau wrote:EDIT: Briefly, can someone confirm that the HCKB is actually a Barenherz with a different name?
No, it's the 'new' ITSF Garlando ball. Actually the old high control ball - the heavy, orange, slightly furry one (description not to be confused with one of Bobby Moss).
The high control ball is bigger than the new garlando ball D:

EDIT:

As in, I have both, the supposed newer ball looks smaller. Are you using the old high control or the new ITSF garlando ball?