Kids and through rods

Foosball chat / key issues and discussion
bigjumbo

Kids and through rods

Post by bigjumbo » Fri May 13, 2011 10:58 am

I've got a Garlando Master Champion at home in my dining room and I've got two toddlers who like to mess around pushing the rods etc. They have grown to a height where it has become a bit dangerous to let them do this unsupervised because of the through rods. The obvious solution to this problem is to downgrade to telescopic rods. I'm reluctant to do that.

So my question is: have other people on the forum been through this and solved the problem differently?
My current best plan is to build some contraption that locks the rods in place when I'm not using the table
but figured it is worth drawing on experience if anyone has any.

Thanks,
Joules.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Re: Kids and through rods

Post by Boris » Fri May 13, 2011 12:03 pm

This is a difficult one, as even downgrading to telescopic rods will leave the handle-ends exposed.

Options
1 - Get/build a top to the table which covers the rod when not in use (but don't let it just get covered in papers and junk etc or you'll never see the table again ;-) )
2 - Get/build a platform(s) which raise their heads and necks above rod height - if you want to start them playing young this is pretty much an essential so they can see into the table.
3 - Invent/make something which will fit into the end of the rods and provide a 'soft-landing' - e.g. a spongy ball attached to a plastic taper (no protruding sharp ends) which can be knocked into the ends of the rods without obstructing movement is an accessory which could generate worldwide sales... (patent application pending - Dragons Den awaits)

Phil Williams

Post by Phil Williams » Fri May 13, 2011 12:12 pm

extend the length of the legs. means you will have to wear your platform shoes to play though.

davez

Post by davez » Fri May 13, 2011 12:12 pm

There's a particular age where they are exactly at the wrong height (the toddlers I mean). It's quite frightening. We had a party once where I felt that perhaps I might have come close to slamming a rod into a child's eye. Gives me the willies to think about it.

Although spongy-ball add-ons are a help, IMO you can't solve this with technology, you need to pay attention the whole time.

So defo avoid the situation where you have multiple children around the table when it is being used and you can't control them all. If you have just one or two and you pay attention it should be possible to control things. If they are playing they are OK. It's when they are not playing but looking (or milling) that it's dangerous. If they are looking and not playing then you cannot control things if you are playing.

On a positive note, that age passes quite quickly. They grow fast.
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

tom_k
Site Administrator

Post by tom_k » Fri May 13, 2011 12:20 pm

No no no. You're all going about it the wrong way. Clearly the only solution is to permanently glue on a motorcycle helmet to the child's head, with the visor down. Food can then be supplied via intravenous drip. Easy.

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:21 pm

Futbolin have covers for their through rods (no. 12 here). No idea if they do ones long enough for a Garlando 2 bar, but if they do you could probably attach them with super-glue to the cabinet etc.

Christopher Lyall
BFA Regional Rep - South West

Post by Christopher Lyall » Fri May 13, 2011 2:44 pm

Buy rod locks.
www.fivebar.co.uk - Foosball Tournaments, Leagues, Shop

Bren

Post by Bren » Fri May 13, 2011 6:16 pm

Bundy beat me to it - was going to suggest the futbolin things. Alternatively just make some from a length of narrow rigid plastic pipe. Essentially it just has to be longer than the maximum protrusion of the rod. You can then stick a tennis ball/squash ball with a friction fit sized hole over the end of the tube to save people poking their eyes out on the ends of the tube. The difficult part is sticking it to the table the best solution would be to integrate it into outer pat of the bearing retainer or to replace the outer bearing retainer.

The only problem with these (when playing) that I can foresee is the opposing player hitting their hands on the rod covers as it makes the gap between the bars narrower. I know sometimes my fingertips used to hit the opposing 2 bar on some shots but I think it was my poor technique.

bigjumbo

Post by bigjumbo » Fri May 13, 2011 7:48 pm

Wow, what a lot of answers. Thanks!
boris wrote: This is a difficult one, ...
The scenario that most concerns me is the kids playing around the table on their own, one on each side of the table, and one of them ramming a rod into the head of the other. I reckon they can avoid bumping in to stationary rods poking out well enough and I can make sure that they are not around when the grown-ups are playing.

We will need a platform before long - but that is another project.

The spongey ends on the rods doesn't quite work because the rods go right in to the table housing at full pull extent. Also, the kids would just tear them off. So that's why I'm out.
Phil Williams wrote: extend the length of the legs. means you will have to wear your platform shoes to play though.
Ah, but where would it all end?
davez wrote: There's a particular age where they are exactly at the wrong height ... Gives me the willies to think about it.
On a positive note, that age passes quite quickly. They grow fast.
Good points. Yes, my daughter is that exactly wrong height. Yes, it's scary. At my boy's birthday party it was a bit hairy. I agree that spongey ends won't cut it in general.
Tom_K wrote: No no no. ...
Ah, if only :)
Evertonian wrote: Futbolin have covers for their through rods ...
Okay, I've not seen these before. I'll investigate this. My first concern is how long the cover for the two bars would be though. Might be a bit much to have such long bits projecting out from the table all the time.
caféaulait wrote:Buy rod locks.
This was my first thought and I think is still the most elegant solution as it has the least visual impact but, unless I misunderstand how rod locks work, I reckon I would need eight of them to secure the lateral movements. At ten quid or so a pop that makes it a quite expensive option. Or are they available cheaper than this?
bren wrote: Bundy beat me to it ... The difficult part is sticking it to the table ...
Yeah, it isn't obvious how to do that well without messing up the table. I'll think about it a bit more.

So, it seems to me that securing the rods in place or providing covers for the through rods is looking best. My two ideas that I was thinking of was to sit something rigid inside the table that attaches to the rods and abuts the table walls. Two ways of doing this would be:

1) Getting a couple of pieces of very firm foam cut to the width of the table interior and cutting out holes for the players' heads so that the foam can sit snug inside the table on top of the bars. It should hold everything more or less in place.

2) Cover a player from each rod down the centre with a piece of wood (with holes drilled for heads to go through) and then attach two cross pieces to the wood that sit inside the table to stop lateral movement.

My wife has a neat solution that involves wrapping something rigid tightly around the rods between near side bumper table wall when the rod is pushed fully in. I've no idea how I'd make things like that cheaply though.

Cheers,
Joules.

Rytis Mitkus

Post by Rytis Mitkus » Sun May 15, 2011 4:00 am

rod-lock lock two rods at once ;) so you would need 4

PADDY.

Post by PADDY. » Sun May 15, 2011 12:19 pm

bigjumbo wrote:I've got a Garlando Master Champion at home in my dining room and I've got two toddlers who like to mess around pushing the rods etc. They have grown to a height where it has become a bit dangerous to let them do this unsupervised because of the through rods. The obvious solution to this problem is to downgrade to telescopic rods. I'm reluctant to do that.

So my question is: have other people on the forum been through this and solved the problem differently?
My current best plan is to build some contraption that locks the rods in place when I'm not using the table
but figured it is worth drawing on experience if anyone has any.

Thanks,
Joules.
Time for the kids to move bedrooms.

You put your table in their bedroom.

And they get to sleep downstairs in the dining room.

NEXT!

bigjumbo

Post by bigjumbo » Mon May 16, 2011 9:46 am

Rytis Mitkus wrote:rod-lock lock two rods at once ;) so you would need 4
Ah, but they only lock the rotational movement I think. I would need two locks per pair of rods positioned up against the table walls to stop the lateral movement. That's how I figure on 8.

Rytis Mitkus

Post by Rytis Mitkus » Mon May 16, 2011 11:37 am

bigjumbo wrote:
Ah, but they only lock the rotational movement I think. I would need two locks per pair of rods positioned up against the table walls to stop the lateral movement. That's how I figure on 8.
if you push rods to one side so bumpers touch wall and then put rod locks on the inner side of the table near the other wall, rods would lock them selves.

i hope you understand what i mean ;)

bigjumbo

Post by bigjumbo » Mon May 16, 2011 4:05 pm

Rytis Mitkus wrote:
bigjumbo wrote:
if you push rods to one side so bumpers touch wall and then put rod locks on the inner side of the table near the other wall, rods would lock them selves.

i hope you understand what i mean ;)
I do :) and this would probably work except that pushing the 2 bar fully in makes the rod poke out the other side a really long way - and you also are locking the 5 and 3 bars of opposing sides together so you have to push them one of them to near side and one of them to far side (which makes one of the handles poke out too far). So to get it locked without having the rods sticking way out from the table it seemed better to not have to do that.

Also, I don't know what the grip is like on rod locks - if they are bashed side to side against the wall would they slide along the bar? Otherwise one could do the same sort of thing with 8 little 16mm sprung clips (1 per rod, or 16 clips if you want to set the rods more evenly). I looked at them and they aren't expensive but I reckoned they would slide around too much.

leaks

Post by leaks » Wed May 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Just cut off the ends of the rods. ;)

I was thinking along the same lines as Bren on attaching a tube (maybe even just the inner bit of a kitchen roll or something simple that's easy to replace) to the bearings. I have some odd ideas about making collapsible tubes or something similar that would extend/retract with the rod, but would still allow the rod to go all the way in/out, and I'm thinking they could be made in a Blue Peter style from cheap household bits (cardboard tubes, tennis balls, socks/tights... those kinda things). Next time we see each other (tonight?) let's chat :)

Jonathan May
BFA Committee Observer

Post by Jonathan May » Wed May 18, 2011 4:48 pm

This is all you need to do.

Circular PVC electrical ducting, 25mm diam. Clamp, saw out a strip, and you're done. Snap-on, snap-off.

http://bit.ly/mlnFI8
--
Manager, TeamGB.

bigjumbo

Post by bigjumbo » Wed May 18, 2011 4:50 pm

leaks wrote:Just cut off the ends of the rods. ;)

I was thinking along the same lines as Bren on attaching a tube (maybe even just the inner bit of a kitchen roll or something simple that's easy to replace) to the bearings. I have some odd ideas about making collapsible tubes or something similar that would extend/retract with the rod, but would still allow the rod to go all the way in/out, and I'm thinking they could be made in a Blue Peter style from cheap household bits (cardboard tubes, tennis balls, socks/tights... those kinda things). Next time we see each other (tonight?) let's chat :)
Cool. You're back. See what you've been missing?

Yes, tonight! We'll be out. You bring the tennis balls, I've got the double-sided sticky tape.