Al Volo (Italian Rules/Fastball)

Foosball chat / key issues and discussion

Would you like to see Al Volo events at UK Tournaments?

Yes - Every time
20%
Yes - Once in a while
43%
Not bothered either way
10%
No - Va Fanculo! (F-off!)
27%

Total votes: 30

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Al Volo (Italian Rules/Fastball)

Post by Boris » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:48 pm

Would people be interested in holding an Al-Volo (Italian rules) event at a future tournament?

At the weekend I watched Italian champion Ivan di Stasi destroy Frederic and Bentivoglio playing one against two. Also the reactions of the Italian players are amazing and I think it could be a useful and FUN exercise for players to improve reactions, shooting from angles, bank-shots etc and to play a different "absolutely no snake" style of the game.

In a nutshell the rules are:
Only one touch per rod, if the ball is controlled it must hit the wall before being advanced via a pass or shot. No passing along the same bar or any drag(push/pull) shots allowed.
If the ball is pinned it is re-served (thrown down the middle to hit the back wall in doubles, restarted from defence in singles)
In singles, lifting of the forward or midfield rods is not allowed when shooting from defence
Games are first to reach 8x goals, swap sides after each 4x goals scored.

It makes for a very fast and furious game, and should be very n00b-friendly.

If we held an Al Volo event at a UK ITSF tourney we'd probably have a few Italians come along...

So, what do people think?

robertosport

Re: Al Volo (Italian Rules/Fastball)

Post by robertosport » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:23 am

lol

Ben

Post by Ben » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:52 am

Congratulation you took a swipe a ball on the angle first time and it pinged of the defenders men and went in, well done. Who knows if you meant it or not and if you did who cares.

You can stuff ya Al Volo.
Burn all FAS

Lil Brice

Post by Lil Brice » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:17 pm

Wow it sounds really fun Boris! Like you said it would help reaction times and we would have to learn new tricks whilst running around in a panick, I love it! Unfortunately I think it might be a bit too much for keele to add in now and we've already got some different events in mind, as it's our first tournament we don't want to get ahead of ourselves hehe. But I'll see what the others think. No doubt it'll add excitment for everyone playing and watching.

leaks

Post by leaks » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:28 pm

Boris wrote:"absolutely no snake"
What's the snake got to do with it? It's an "absolutely no set shots or control" game, nothing to do with the snake. Snake hating bugs me...
Boris wrote:should be very n00b-friendly
You think? I would expect that many of the top players have sharp reactions (for catching 2-3 passes, loose balls etc.) and would probably still hammer a n00b even with this format. Plus it would feel pretty random and uncontrolled, so n00bs would not even feel they were beaten by skill. Why not have a "spinning the rods" tournament? Rods must be continuously rotated until the ball goes into a goal. (alright, I'm being facetious, but that would feel about the same to me and be just as n00b friendly).
Boris wrote:In singles, lifting of the forward or midfield rods is not allowed when shooting from defence
Probably because you don't get time to when you're randomly spanking the ball out.

Phew, now that's over - this could be good as a fun event (like 2ball), everyone has a few beers and some mental random al volo games. Outside of that, it's not for me. I think the control and skill of higher level foos is something that makes the game great, and the development of that control tends to take players to a higher level of achievement. Sure, some al-volo players will be able to beat top set-shot players, but you could say that about any style of play (hell, Rob D even shoots a push-kick with success, anything is possible ;) ). Having this as a fun event might be cool, having it as a serious/ranking event goes against what I feel is good for foos - increasing control and skill levels, bringing the psycological aspect into the game, not reducing control and making the whole thing reaction based. Make this a fun event that we can have a few drinks at and Im in :)

Anyway, I prob read more into your post than was there and am having a slow day at work lol ;)

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:54 pm

I like playing fast, shooting angles, insta-hacking etc. so yeah I think I'd enjoy it (as an alternative to an evening event like a DYP or Super Melee or whatever). Tbh I think I'd prefer 2-ball though.
OUTFC Secretary

CannonBallGuy

Post by CannonBallGuy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:37 pm

leaks wrote:Make this a fun event that we can have a few drinks at and Im in :)
I voted yes on the assumption that this would be the case - that this event would be another fun event as well as/instead of 2BRB. Not sure which I would prefer if it had to be one or the other though.

Philo

Post by Philo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:42 pm

Yes please to more fun events at tournaments. Drinking should be compulsory too.
Philo

Mogwai

Post by Mogwai » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:13 am

Yes but not on Garlando, if you can't execute a bank shot the game would get pretty boring. It would have to be on Bobby Sport or tecball.