Disillusioned with table football

Foosball chat / key issues and discussion
Happyham

Re: Disillusioned with table football

Post by Happyham » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:27 pm

Philo wrote: The average foo's player being a bit ore more caravan park than luxury hotel. :)
Caravan park! What I'd give to be caravan park! You fancy caravan park foosers with your small amounts of money and your caravans... pfft.
I hated every minute of training, but I said "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Please subscribe/comment/support my blog at http://happyham1986.blogspot.com/

shovie

Post by shovie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:31 pm

I think we're hoping the food and drinks will be cheaper this time around. Mayya can you confirm?

Alex

Black Cloud

Post by Black Cloud » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:21 pm

Just checking I'd remembered my password.

I also remember John Worthington's horrified look a few years ago when I said I hadn't played for twenty years. He asked why. "Because it got boring" I said. Plus of course the TS tournaments had ended. IMO it is incredibly boring and pointless trying to persuade novices to play against you - either you beat them, or you underplay your hand and have a 'fair' game, or they think you are not trying, which you aren't, or showing off - whatever. The buzz for me is close games, the extra is the feeling of comradeship - a shared nuttiness about the game.

Anyway.

Well done to all those trying to increase interest, run tournaments, keep the BFA going by the way.

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:49 pm

shovie wrote:I think we're hoping the food and drinks will be cheaper this time around. Mayya can you confirm?

Alex
Yeah I'm fairly sure food and drinks should be cheaper this time Ben. Not going because the food and drinks were too pricey seems like a really lame excuse to me seeing as you could just slyly bring your own food and eat it out of site anyway. Seems like a tiny obstacle given your burning desire to play against some top quality foosers.

CannonBallGuy

Post by CannonBallGuy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:14 pm

Steviola wrote:
shovie wrote:I think we're hoping the food and drinks will be cheaper this time around. Mayya can you confirm?

Alex
Yeah I'm fairly sure food and drinks should be cheaper this time Ben. Not going because the food and drinks were too pricey seems like a really lame excuse to me seeing as you could just slyly bring your own food and eat it out of site anyway. Seems like a tiny obstacle given your burning desire to play against some top quality foosers.
I don't know Ben but in his defence, the overall price of the tournament could be putting him off. It looks like Jason and I won't be attending the UKC because travel costs + tournament fees + £55/night for a room all equates to too much for us, even if we didn't eat for 3 days.

Happyham

Post by Happyham » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:57 pm

Ben whipes his arse with 50p's.
I hated every minute of training, but I said "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Please subscribe/comment/support my blog at http://happyham1986.blogspot.com/

Christopher Lyall
BFA Regional Rep - South West

Post by Christopher Lyall » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:59 pm

The more tournaments you go to the cheaper you manage to get the accommodation. Follow this simple algorithm to cut your costs:

1: Do I live in the area of the tournament? If yes stay at home and you are done. If no go to 2.
2: Do I have any relatives in the area of the tournament? If yes ask to visit them and you are done, if no go to 3.
3: Do I know anyone from school at university in the area of the tournament? If yes facebook them and you are done. If no go to 4.
4: Do I have any mates on Britfoos that live in the area? If yes stay with them and you are done. If no go to 5.
5: Do I know any Britfoos people that have booked accommodation in the venue accommodation and are looking to cut costs? If yes negotiate to crash on their floor and you are done. If no go to 6.
6: Am I travelling down with fellow foosers also looking to sleep cheaply? If yes book a single room for 4 people and you are done. If no go to 7.
7: Unfortunately you have now run out of options. Go to a cashpoint.

Last Oxford I was sleeping on the floor both nights so didn't pay that much. Tournaments where I'm not sleeping on the floor at least 1 night are rare - that's one of the things I like about them. Don't be too shy about asking people if you can crash with them. I would offer you space where I'm staying but it's not mine to offer though...

Edit: I might actually write a small guide to cutting costs at tournaments.
www.fivebar.co.uk - Foosball Tournaments, Leagues, Shop

The Doctor
BFA Chairman

Post by The Doctor » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:16 pm

For playing n00bs I used to use a handicap system. They don't mind you thrashing them if they only have to get 2 goals to win whatever prize you've settled on beforehand.

Mase

Post by Mase » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:23 pm

If people are skint they are skint but it is a case of you do what you want most with the money you have.

I'm skint on the basis i dont have enough money to do everything. In the summer i play cricket so there is petrol, match fees and kit to take money away leaving me with fluff and a button. In the winter, FOOS TIME. Or just stop drinking, smoking, drugs, hookers and gambling or whatever your vice might be, put this into a pot and most people will have enough for FOOS events.

Regards,

Mase

jinxsi

Post by jinxsi » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:32 pm

Mac,

I am travelling past Newport on friday and can give you and Jason a lift there, and back on Sunday after amateur singles, you have to pay for food wherever you are, I have a room and you are welcome to the floor, let me know!

jinxsi

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:24 pm

My new philosophy when it comes to finding accommodation at tournaments is to turn up unprepared and offer my services for a space on their floor. Sorted.

As Simon has just highlighted, you only need to ask around.

Regarding Ben, Reading isn't far from Oxford at all so I wouldn't have thought accommodation was a necessity?

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:22 am

When you start out tournaments are incredibly expensive. Wasn't that long ago that I was getting hotel rooms on my own, and paying for train fairs/taxis/everything else. A few tournaments cost me £200. This was not good as a student.

Still, when you get more involved, you get to know people. Floor/bed space becomes available, and accom costs drop.
You meet people like Boris, who'll happily taxi you around for minimal cost.
Then you get more involved, and start helping setting up for discount entry (I've done this a lot, and saved hundreds in the last 2 years).
Then you get even more involved, and start running tournaments, and pay no entry fees at all.
Along side all of this, you start to get better, and pick up prize money.

All of this means I've actually broken even at a few tournaments this year - and even made a profit(including food/drinking) at Liverpool!....£5

So stick at it, and everything will be good eventually.

Ben

Post by Ben » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:17 pm

Steviola wrote:Yeah I'm fairly sure food and drinks should be cheaper this time Ben. Not going because the food and drinks were too pricey seems like a really lame excuse to me seeing as you could just slyly bring your own food and eat it out of site anyway. Seems like a tiny obstacle given your burning desire to play against some top quality foosers.
Ok I'll go I'll go

I tell you what. Its a big hotel I'm sure they'll have plenty of rooms left. If I can a get partner by wed 7th I'll go. Can't say fair than that :fadein:

Right I'll go post on the friendship board then.

AM partner needed then. Yes I'll attend sat and sun.

Ben
Burn all FAS

Philo

Post by Philo » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:42 pm

Mase wrote:If people are skint they are skint but it is a case of you do what you want most with the money you have.

I'm skint on the basis i dont have enough money to do everything. In the summer i play cricket so there is petrol, match fees and kit to take money away leaving me with fluff and a button. In the winter, FOOS TIME. Or just stop drinking, smoking, drugs, hookers and gambling or whatever your vice might be, put this into a pot and most people will have enough for FOOS events.
You seriously be expecting me to give up drinking, smoking, drugs, hookers and gambling just so I can play more table football. :roll:

Fraid I don't have enough left to come to Oxford either. :drinking:
Philo

Phil Williams

Post by Phil Williams » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:26 pm

Philo wrote:
Mase wrote:If people are skint they are skint but it is a case of you do what you want most with the money you have.

You seriously be expecting me to give up drinking, smoking, drugs, hookers and gambling just so I can play more table football. :roll:

Fraid I don't have enough left to come to Oxford either. :drinking:
Yeah, its a tough decision. When we used to play at the King Alfred, we had all that in the pub so it was ideal!

DaveC

Post by DaveC » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:52 pm

Whatever happened to the one-day tournament..?

Mase

Post by Mase » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:05 pm

Problem is Dave tables cost the same from suppliers so two days are needed to cover costs and give an ok prize fund.

Mase

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:39 pm

AK47 wrote:And it's a big shame you don't still play locally Rob. I'd happily taxi you to Manchester and back (£1 for first mile, 10p every additional tenth :D ) when I'm playing if you fancy a pint. The offer is always there should you change your mind. You've got my number. I would argue the local game needs more people like you with your enthusiasm and energy. One of my finest memories of TF is playing you and Brice at Bolton in that marathon match with Darren. It was never boring.
That was exactly the sort of epic battle I was referring to - although that was probably the single most epic foosball battle I've ever experienced. Awesome match.

I'm currently trying to get the landlord in the pub across the road to get a Garlando, which might get me playing a bit more often. If he does get it, and it's looking quite promising, I'll certainly be running some events for him. But for the aforementioned reasons, I won't be playing in these little local events, as I'll probably win every single one and nobody will ever come back. Too competitive for my own good :P We'll see anyway - it's the Sportsman in Bromley Cross if you know it Ant?

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:54 pm

Tich used to run many one day tournaments with good attendance as I recall, I went to quite a few.

This years 3 dayers - well, the numbers speak for themselves.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:39 pm

Whilst cost is one aspect the real killer of one day events is the sheer logistical and physical effort of getting, transporting and then setting up and taking down and then back to storage the tables which is a hell of a lot of time and resources for just one day regretably.

Places like Bar kick can have these of course as the tables are there anyway.