TV Trailer for FoosDocumentary

Foosball chat / key issues and discussion
Mase

TV Trailer for FoosDocumentary

Post by Mase » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:29 pm

I am very proud to present the trailer for the foos documentary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyKlknD9-2A

Background for those that were not there or do not know the story. I was approached by two film students who also work for a production company. There approach was a request to come and film the tournament and do some interviews. They got 63 hours of film and have produced a 10 minute trailer that was used as part of their final year project and is now being pitched at the major tv channels for a documentary by the production company they work for.

Any updates i will keep you informed.

Regards

Mase

Oatsey

Re: TV Trailer for FoosDocumentary

Post by Oatsey » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:24 pm

Well , having watched it twice I liked it , i suspect members of the general public will find it strangely interesting.

Good to see foosball is just a hobby to Rob and it hasn,t taken over his life!

tom_k
Site Administrator

Post by tom_k » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:07 pm

An enjoyable watch! nice one.

Mase

Post by Mase » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:15 pm

Any feedback or thoughts, we are needing to take the feed back and thoughts of how a full documentary will be received when pitching it.

Mase

leaks

Post by leaks » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:32 pm

Generally thought it was really good - Mase comes across as a real character (lol) and Vicki as his long suffering partner hehe! Id be interested to see how they manage a full doco - not that I don't think there's enough there to do one, but because for a much longer video I would expect some of the build up to the tournament to be covered, like seeing the top players training, talking about expectations of the tournie etc. That said, it sounds like they have loads of footage to use - can't wait to watch the full thing!

The Doctor
BFA Chairman

Post by The Doctor » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:51 pm

It might be interesting if they presented the players as believing fervently that t-f is a sport and hugely important.

As it is, nobody seems convinced, not even Rob.

It comes across as an honest portrayal but a bit dull because of it?

There's no-one in that video who seems even a little deluded or sad and that doesn't cut it in the world of TV.

Gipsy Beast
BFA Vice Chairman

Post by Gipsy Beast » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:26 pm

I say Nice one MAse, Big Up to you :smilecolros:

Its a great effort and the editing is really good - with the time line and story.

Well done, and I would definatly encourage you to do more. You did a documentary of the foos world which is brilliant as a pilot.

What ever happens I look forward to the next one!

Big up to MAse 0X

JP

davez

Post by davez » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:25 pm

I thought it was very good, and Mase, I thought you were very good too. Frankly I am not sure that it would stand being any longer though. It cleverly told a complete story from start to finish.
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

PADDY.

Post by PADDY. » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:07 pm

I thought the editing was a bit 'Spinal Tap' but this is a student thing, right?

It was enjoyable, A good effort,

Would love to see a final ready for broadcast version.

A good step forward for UK foosball.

Mase

Post by Mase » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:22 pm

Dave makes an interesting point, i agree that a full documentary might well be to dry or long BUT i can see a 30 minute (24 with ad breaks) one off episode working.

The suggestion we are making on the back of this is that we do it again with the same style of interviews and meeting players but focus on 6-8 players and their training and run up to a big event (one i will run). Go visit players perhaps at their homes and few local scenes where practice takes place. Hopefully most of these 6 and perhaps a few other players that get picked up meet and play at a smaller event (anyone can run that) a month or so before the main event and see the way the players are shaping up. Then cover the main event!

Mase

ps i feel what i offer is the passion and honesty and with the right players it could be a massive success.

Gipsy Beast
BFA Vice Chairman

Post by Gipsy Beast » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:07 am

Mase wrote: Go visit players perhaps at their homes and few local scenes where practice takes place. Hopefully most of these 6 and perhaps a few other players that get picked up meet and play at a smaller event (anyone can run that) a month or so before the main event and see the way the players are shaping up. Then cover the main event!
For sure, the way the traveling is showed in your video is brilliant. It gives it a social documentary feel to it, and I think the idea of people traveling long distances to participate in an event after practising in other local venues builds up the passion aspect and utimatly serves in its TV show appeal...

I think you are on the right path in what you are trying to expose about the "sport"

JP

CannonBallGuy

Post by CannonBallGuy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:46 am

I really enjoyed the video, quite entertaining (and informative) even for someone like me who follows the scene anyway, so hopefully it would also be of interest to others that don't know anything about foos.
Certainly, I think the people interviewed could do with coming across a little more... odd. It's not that you're boring, just a bit too normal, regular guys. Especially when the world champ Rob Atha says "Nah, it's just a hobby...". The clips of Mase celebrating help with this.

I could imagine a longer show, something more like 30 minutes, would work well - just more of the same. A few extra people being interviewed, a little more coverage of the games at the event, perhaps following a team through the knockout stages of OD with a knockout chart shown inbetween matches showing who they just beat and who they have to beat next...

Great work to all those involved!

PADDY.

Post by PADDY. » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:40 am

CannonBallGuy wrote: I think the people interviewed could do with coming across a little more... odd. It's not that you're boring, just a bit too normal, regular guys. Especially when the world champ Rob Atha says "Nah, it's just a hobby...".

I thought this as well,

99.9% of Reality TV is fake/staged for drama etc, so maybe it would be a good idea to 'stage' a few events on and off the table for that 'real' feel.

Would it be possible to stage a few britfoos incidents from days gone by..

The Sholveltons arguing on and off the table,
Table arguments regarding rules/jarring etc,
Two Warwick tots assualting each other on foreign turf
The drinking games
Some trash talk
Would be good seeing some actual members of the public watching (May have to get onto an extras agency for this)

I say the above in a light hearted way, but foos is boring to watch for most people, so maybe similar approach would add a bit of drama/passion.

leaks

Post by leaks » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:20 pm

Just watched this again, still good! Was thinking a cut down version might be good for a "3 minute wonder" on Channel 4...

CannonBallGuy

Post by CannonBallGuy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:27 pm

PADDY. wrote:
CannonBallGuy wrote:99.9% of Reality TV is fake/staged for drama etc, so maybe it would be a good idea to 'stage' a few events on and off the table for that 'real' feel.
I don't think there is any need to stage such drama, there's enough of that on this forum...

cbalife

Post by cbalife » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:00 pm

CannonBallGuy wrote: Especially when the world champ Rob Atha says "Nah, it's just a hobby...".
That was the highlight of the clip for me, was just a good contrast from all the 'sport talk' that puts me off tournaments really. Although "Its more of a sport then darts" is true and made me laugh. :mrgreen:

Happyham

Post by Happyham » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:43 pm

After watchin this a few times I think its really good! As a foosball fan, I like it - I wonder how the generic public would find it?

I think in order for that type of thing to work, you need to show a lot of enthusiasm. If we can't get excited about something we love to do, how on earth are the public going to?!

I think Mase played the role of die hard foosball fanatic really well, and I think Ryan's interview was good to. He illustrated how far he goes around the world playing which potentially creates a cool 'lifestyle' choice. Rob's interview and maybe mine, were more down to earth, genuine accounts of things, which sadly don't make great telly. Had I have thought about this properly I would have tried to make mine a bit more interesting. All it needs though, is to be given a little direction in the interviews and the players will give an exciting account of foosball I'm sure.

I guess the question I want to ask is, where do they want to go with this? I know they want to make a documentary, but what paricular angle are they looking to take? Going from the beginning on how a tournament works? Following one player on his journey through a tournament? Another introduction type documentary into the world of foosball in general? I think its important to work backwards in order to achieve your overall goal.

There is potential for this to open doors for foosball I think.. but its important they have a good angle. I've seen quite a few 'introduction' type tv clips into foosball, and they all end up being the same. It needs to leave people wanting to know more.. I understand theyre gona be at the UKC which is awesome.. so fingers crossed that TV channels are excited by what they produce!
I hated every minute of training, but I said "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Please subscribe/comment/support my blog at http://happyham1986.blogspot.com/

davez

Post by davez » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:22 pm

I'm unclear about whether the potential documentary is to be based on footage they already made, or something that will be filmed afresh.
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:07 pm

The Doctor wrote:It might be interesting if they presented the players as believing fervently that t-f is a sport and hugely important.

As it is, nobody seems convinced, not even Rob.
Could we get Adam Imamanpoo over for some US style visualising?

Happyham

Post by Happyham » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:43 pm

Lol, its funny you say that. Love him or hate him, hes good entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ0z40gi5TA

I was thinkin about this the other day, and if you had imampoor, horton, spredeman, mase lol, jamal, adkisson, peter morris, kalsi, paul nunes and other characters of the game.. i bet you could generate more interest on tv!

Everyones lesson is to become more mental when you play. I'll check everyones progress at the next tournament. Chris Haddon, I want to see you throwing chairs at people at the UKC.

Oh, and by the way I hope it isn't just me who finds this hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqQS-2Cbt1s
I hated every minute of training, but I said "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Please subscribe/comment/support my blog at http://happyham1986.blogspot.com/