Honorary memberships- a good idea?

Foosball chat / key issues and discussion

Do you think the BFA should PUBLICLY recognise those who have greatly contributed to UK Foosball?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:57 pm

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 29

Philo

Honorary memberships- a good idea?

Post by Philo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:57 pm

What do people think about setting up some sort of honorary membership for those individuals who have put a great deal into the table football community?

Do you think the BFA should publicly recognise individuals who have gone above and beyond what can reasonably be expected of a person to assist the foosball community. Perhaps this could be through special status on the forum? A public thank you at a tournament? or perhaps even exemption from any BFA membership costs?
Philo

tom_k
Site Administrator

Re: Honorary memberships- a good idea?

Post by tom_k » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:43 pm

The BFA doesn't get enough money as it is.
It's a small community. Whilst there are obviously people who have done more than their peers, if you start down this route, eventually there will be more honorary members than paying members.

the other danger of things like forum titles is that it all gets very cliquey - something I'd hope we'd wish to avoid.

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:56 pm

I don't really think this is a good idea. There are lots of people who contribute a lot to UK table football in different ways. How would you decide who was worthy of such an award and who wasn't?
OUTFC Secretary

Philo

Post by Philo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:26 pm

I have seen it work well on other forums. I raise it because over the years the foosball scene has lost many people that have put in lots of effort in the past and I wonder if a bit of public praise would have perhaps kept them around for a bit longer.

Choosing who gets its and who does not would be a hard task. Perhaps time limited "supporting member" status would be a better option for all but 1 or 2 people who should be lifetime members?
Philo

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:48 pm

I think we should distinguish in this discussion between "Honorary memberships" and awards acknowledging exceptional contribution. The former would appear to give a member an enhanced status versus other BFA members, which i do disagree with, whereas the latter i think is just absolutely appropriate in certain situations.

One of the specific issues the BFA has is that 95% of organisational work is done by 5% of members, and that 75% of the work done by such members is not visible to the wider community. Also, certain people put in loads of work over a short period of time, whereas others contribute at a low level over a long period.

There have been discussions in the past about giving awards. I think the big issue is that people tend only to suggest giving awards to people that they think have lost interest in the game. Whilst providing an award to disinterested ex-players as a carrot to attract them back into the game is not without merit, it is a very weak reason on its own.
Last edited by Richard on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PADDY.

Post by PADDY. » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:03 pm

People contribute time and effort because they want to (Not for a reward)

People then get a big 'Thank You' for the above time & effort etc.

I don't think giving out prizes (BFA Membership)to say Thank You is a good idea.

What is the BFA membership these days? 1 or 2 groats?

Anyway whatever it is, It's not that much to pay is it?

Pesants!

*Hugs*

X
Last edited by PADDY. on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:06 pm

Special status on the forum? No, not really. Exemption from BFA membership fees? I don't see why not. The efforts of a few people - and it is very few - is what makes tournaments happen. Furthermore they save the BFA literally hundreds of pounds by working hard all weekend for no recompense. Agree with what they do or not, Boris has probably put more hours into BFA events, organisation and administration during my time in the game than everyone else put together. Stumpy almost single-handedly did put-up and take-down for most events over a period of several years. Rich Thomson spent god only knows how long formalising the structure of the BFA and even put up several hundred pounds prize money for one recent event. Dave P was a bit before my time and stopped playing not long after I started attending events, but he's on that list too. Three of those I've listed don't even play any more, so it's not like we're losing money. It's the least we can do - what is it, a fiver a year? - to recognise the absolutely massive amounts of time and effort a very select few have put into the game in this country, and to ask those people to pay to be a member is a bit of a mickey-take. The BFA should not be spending every penny it can tax out of its members, it should be spending what it deserves to get, and there are certain people to whom the BFA is quite simply massively indebted.

snakecharmer

Post by snakecharmer » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:04 pm

There is, or was, already a place for this recognition. Some years back a Hall of Fame was created, Tanny Iqbal being the only inductee from memory. During my time on the C'tee I tried hard to get this as used more, and annually add one or two deserving people. I was stumped by apathy regularly on this. To use it more would also give more credence to Tanny being the sole member. Announcing new inductees at a regular annual event and presenting those with a small plaque would be a nice touch. The cost of this would be far removed from what that person had saved the BFA in services to the game.
The list of likely candidates is a long one (and remove the possibility of my name being on it) but early candidates I would recommend would be Athas, Tich, Edwards, Cree, Juj, Brice, Stumpy, DZ. There are countless more that would deserve it, but their time will come. Mase, May, Thomson (yes, really), Gallon, Shovs and many others who should rightfully be recognised.
The game survives on the efforts of these people who do what they do for the love of the game, selflessly. It is only in recent times that they have managed a mention in forum "afterglow" threads. They deserve more. A lack of this acknowledgement often means their services to the game and interest in it wane.

Happyham

Post by Happyham » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:05 pm

*cough*.. current world champion.. *cough* :P
I hated every minute of training, but I said "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Please subscribe/comment/support my blog at http://happyham1986.blogspot.com/