Recommedation for office use

Foosball chat / key issues and discussion
Livers

Recommedation for office use

Post by Livers » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:30 am

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and was hoping i could get some advice from you. I've been asked to buy a table for our rec room at work and wanted to check with you that the one I'm going for is strong enough for office use. I've been recommended the FAS Fun Football Table, it'll be used about 1-2 hours per day.

Any reasons not to go for this table? It's at the very limit of my budget so I can't spend much more.

Thanks,

Livers

robertosport

Post by robertosport » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:34 am

I would have A definetely  better idea than FAS.... :lol:

El Capitan

Post by El Capitan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:36 am

I would suggest going for a similarly priced Garlando table.

The FAS Fun is what? £400-£500

A G5000 should be about the same.

http://www.garlando-tables.co.uk/free_p ... index.html

Having owned the G500, Coperto and now the F1 World Champion tables, they really are the best choice in this price range.

davez

Post by davez » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:14 pm

Livers,

The main thing you need to know is whether you are buying (and want) a table with a glass top, or without a glass top.

Playing without a glass top gives a much more intense and fun experience and means you do not have to constantly lift the table to move a dead ball. It is preferable in every respect provided that you can trust people not to remove balls, and if it is acceptable that a ball will occasionally fly off the table.

Dave

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:50 pm

I have always rated FAS homeplay tables quite highly, and would put them on a par with similar priced garlandos (the most similar of the decent tables) on playability, and ahead in terms of build quality, althgouh they tend to be slightly more expensive. The differences in playing are small and probably not noticeable to anyone but the top players. The 3-man spacing is marginally different, for example, so pull-kickers tend to prefer one or another (i think fas is in line with tornado on spacing).

Most people on this forum play competitively, either on garlando or Tornado or both. There is therefore going to be an inevitable level of bias if you read previous posts on this forum, which you should try to look through.

Dinos

Post by Dinos » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:48 pm

I have a FAS Mundial at home.

On the weekend i had my first experience with a Glass covered table and hated it. Takes much of the noise away, viewing isn't that clear.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:35 pm

Can I refer you to my table review on e-bay, link is here
http://www.britfoos.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3380

It is worth considering a coin-op (maybe set at 10p or 20p per game), as receipts could be used for staff social activities etc, or charitable donations (or to repay the purchase costs over time).  Coin-ops are generally designed for more robust use, and need not have glass tops.  They are more expensive to start with, but tend to hold their resale value better than freeplays.

If all you want to do is thrash around and have fun, then by all means go for the FAS.  Although FAS are developing a tournament-quality table, their production models tend to be very slick and unsuitable for a controlled game or skills development.  It is possible to improve the FAS using non-standard balls (would recommend the new official Bonzini ball or Eurosoccer balls if you have a slick-glass surface and square player feet.

Tournament-quality tables to consider would include:
Garlando - Pro-Champion, Master-Champion (freeplay), World Champion (coin-op) - all open top
Roberto-Sport - Adrenaline (Freeplay), Kombat (coin) - newly styled and improved
Tornado - Twister, Whirlwind, Storm, Cyclone, TP2000 (Free), Tour Edition (Coin) All will be good quality
Bonzini - Stadium, B90 (Free), B60 (coin) - traditional-styled French tables, very robust but expensive.

The above models from different manufacturers are all listed in ascending price order.  I'm not sure about the Roberto-Sport or Tornado, but the Pro-Champion would probably be around the same price as the FAS Fun.

Most tournament-quality tables have extra features such as leg-levellers to ensure a level playfield, will allow the ball to be trapped against the side-wall (many tables will have long-springs which allow the ball to pass even when the nearest man is slammed hard against the cabinet), and allow the ball to be pinned (trapped) securely between the heel of the player-figure and the playfield.

Dinos

Post by Dinos » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:17 am

Boris where can i have a look for the Bonzini ball or the Eurosoccer ball?

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:37 am

Eurosoccer Ball - www.jgc.be - about 1 euro each

Bonzini Ball - www.francebabyfoot.com or http://www.bonzini.com/en/babyfoot/prod ... ees-2/#%22

Dinos

Post by Dinos » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:03 pm

Boris wrote:Eurosoccer Ball - www.jgc.be - about 1 euro each

Bonzini Ball - www.francebabyfoot.com or http://www.bonzini.com/en/babyfoot/prod ... ees-2/#%22
Thanks for the links mate.

Should i go for the yellow ball on the Bonzini? What about the cork ball?

As for the eurosoccer can't understand the language but they too have different types of balls

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:46 pm

Dinos wrote: Should i go for the yellow ball on the Bonzini?
This is the one I would recommend, it is sticky enough to pin on a FAS, but not as different in 'feel' as a cork ball
What about the cork ball?
By all means try one out for fun, but they have now been phased out of official competitions.
As for the eurosoccer can't understand the language but they too have different types of balls
I would e-mail them (they speak good English) and ask about the Eurosoccer ball, as they don't seem to be offering them in their shop.  IMHO the Eurosoccer ball was one of the best balls produced in recent years, but since the Eurosoccer table withdrew from ITSF it may have ceased production in favour of the traditional Belgian tables.

Dinos

Post by Dinos » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:24 am

Boris thanks for the answers.

I will do that:)

patritsch

Post by patritsch » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:18 am

Boris wrote:Tournament-quality tables to consider would include:
Garlando - Pro-Champion, Master-Champion (freeplay), World Champion (coin-op) - all open top
Roberto-Sport - Adrenaline (Freeplay), Kombat (coin) - newly styled and improved
Tornado - Twister, Whirlwind, Storm, Cyclone, TP2000 (Free), Tour Edition (Coin) All will be good quality
Bonzini - Stadium, B90 (Free), B60 (coin) - traditional-styled French tables, very robust but expensive.
Doesn't it say somewhere that racism is not allowed in this forum? What, if not racism, could have made you "forget" the German tables? As a member of the ITSF board (for whom it's legal to recommend only ITSF-tables) you should at least have mentioned the Tecball.

And don't mention the war...

:wink:

El Capitan

Post by El Capitan » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:25 am

This guy gets my vote for best post of the year and also best hat.

I'm sure the only reason he didn't mention the krautables is that they are not distibuted in the UK (AFAIK) so they are harder to get hold of.

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:27 am

Patritsch - those are tables available in the UK. Though German tables are of excellent quality - they come with large shipping costs to the UK, thus are not suitable for someone working with a tight budget.

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:28 am

El Capitan wrote:krautables
 :?

Oh, and sorry for basically repeating what John said, he posted after I started writing mine etc.

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:16 pm

... but we all know that tournament tables are simply the better tables made by the companies that pay the ITSF.

Whether a table is better or worse by virtue of having a slicker surface is a matter of opinion. The most important thing is that the table plays like the players want it to.

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:17 pm

Richard wrote:... but we all know that tournament tables are simply the better tables made by the companies that pay the ITSF.
Well said.

There is a lot of irrational predudice towards tables simply because they are ITSF recognised.

However that doesn't mean I like FAS tables. Too many horrible memories of the Purple Turtle in Oxford
Still going....

robertosport

Post by robertosport » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:47 am

PURPLE TURTLE :?:

El Capitan

Post by El Capitan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:01 am

robertosport wrote:PURPLE TURTLE :?:
It's a bar in Oxford, with a very messy FAS table. Dave Morgan I think was conceived, born and raised under this very table.

I have always disliked the FAS tables I play on because:
The springs were huge,
the balls were awful,
the goal posts were too big,
the rods were all stuck.

They could easily make a better table, but AFAIK they do so well selling the current tables that they have no need to.