BFA and DP

Foosball chat / key issues and discussion
snakecharmer

Post by snakecharmer » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:32 pm

Messiah wrote:We know if we were all in the room together talking then noone would be this confrontational and aggressive. Rich, Dave please consider carefully what you post.
On first reading Rich's post, had we been in the same room, I would have slapped him. BUT, plenty often post stuff they wouldn't say face to face. I have no real problem now with Rich's post. Possibly heartfelt emotion, probably playing Devils' Advocate. Whichever, it is good to see some passionate/cynical posts from him.
  Many from sheltered academia seemed abhorred at violence, but as Stumpy points out, it is probably the first option the settle differences in many places. or used to be. That is why they are called "settlers". There is no BS, no smartarse twisting of words, just an unarguable winner. It may be the p.c. way to sit down, debate, see each others' side and arbitrate some happy agreement, which often is never reached. I grew up using the first option, often. Nowadays I try to use the second option when possible. I try to use some diplomacy to exhaust all avenues of agreement.

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:42 am

Dave I know you and Rich might not be best buddies, but my point is that Rich wouldn't talk like that to your face, instead you'd probably have a few games of foos.

As for being abhorred by violence, that didn't come from academia, it came from the scapy gits who kept getting drunk/abusive and them wanting to have a fight with me in BK cos I wouldn't serve them.

Lots of love

DAN
Still going....

Craig

Post by Craig » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:45 am

Last edited by Craig on Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:47 am

Yeah, and i would knock in 5 snakes in a row just like the old days. Eh Dave?

snakecharmer

Post by snakecharmer » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:33 pm

Richard wrote:Yeah, and i would knock in 5 snakes in a row just like the old days. Eh Dave?
Yup, it is a recurring nightmare, but at least it'll never happen again.

robmoss2k

Re: BFA and DP

Post by robmoss2k » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:14 am

Oh for god's sake children, fix the bloody constitution if that's the problem, nobody's disputing what was asked for and agreed, and sort the man out with what he asked for. It's not difficult. If you're hamstrung by your own rules on such things and you literally cannot do this over the course of the next few days, then your rules are atrocious and also need fixing ASAP.

DaveC

Post by DaveC » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:08 pm

Hey Rob, why the long...

davez

Post by davez » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:16 pm

Ha ha. He thought it was 2 days not a year and 2 days! lol
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

*mayya*

Post by *mayya* » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:35 pm

Haha, that's cute. FYI - BFA is fixing constitution so this never happens again.

Cotty

Post by Cotty » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:15 pm

I love Rob.
"A day without laughing is a day wasted"

Happyham

Post by Happyham » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:37 pm

I love Cotty
I hated every minute of training, but I said "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Please subscribe/comment/support my blog at http://happyham1986.blogspot.com/

snakecharmer

Post by snakecharmer » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:22 pm

Don't worry Rob, nothing has changed anyways..

Philo

Post by Philo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:03 pm

Dave P why on earth are you still here if you hate the BFA and don't play table football?

I think John Worthington said it best...
Philo

PADDY.

Post by PADDY. » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:19 am

£100 says DP will take Philo out in the 1st.

No gloves

Philo

Post by Philo » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:52 am

When I met DP in person many years ago he seemed a nice enough guy. He may even be 100% in the right. But unfortunately this thread has achieved nothing but to exasperate old wounds.

Unfortunately we have still lost stumpy's behind the scenes presence and unfortunately DP will still never play.
Philo

Mase

Post by Mase » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:50 pm

The whole thing makes me very angry. None of what has been written has or will ever achieve anything. I consider Dave Perrot a good foos friend and ring him every now and again to tempt him out BUT he was let down by friends surrounding the incdient and then by the BFA's policy to deal with this.

The policy has changed and those that have put in complaints know the process is water tight.

So the good thing to come out of all of this is we now have the correct process in place.

Unfortunately we have now lost one of the UK's best ever defenders a truely great bloke and someone who was never scared to roll up the sleeves and get stuck in.

I have said at the AGM that we should do what we can to get Dave back but others didnt feel we could meet his demands.

Regards

Mase

snakecharmer

Post by snakecharmer » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:36 pm

Philo, I logged in 'coz Britfoos sent a message for a watched thread. All I asked for originally was for acceptance or an apology for the fact that a sitution had been poorly dealt with and I, as a BFA member, was let down. No dice. After a couple of years I agreed to drop it all and walk away if the BFA settled an old moral debt. Even though it was in black and white they couldn't even agree there was a moral debt. The price was to make Stumpy an Honorary Lifetime BFA member. for his own selfless services to the game. No dice.
The BFA had a long history of ignoring the cogs that keep the game alive. I hope they have learnt from previous events and Mase, May et al are given their due credit. The game dies without people like these.
I played tournaments from the late 70's, continually for over 25 years, I made many friends through that time in the game. I would now reckon that I could hardly name into double figures those I still consider friends from foosball. Politics and events over the last 3-4 years or so have seen to that.
But, there again, what do I know, and more to the point, what do I care now?

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Since DP has once again risen to the bait, i figured i would too. Just for a laugh.

I have had to re-read this thread to remember what the gripes were. Ah yes:
1) an administrative blunder over squad list, where Boris posted the wrong one;
2) a disciplinary procedure which resulted in someone getting a verbal warning;
3) a two year period during which many unofficial conversations were had / favours negotiated / with individuals unnamed etc; and
4) a demand that (however well intentioned) the BFA committee felt constitutionally prohibited from doing.

I think Boris has unreservedly apologised for item 1, both at the time and subsequently. The Havelock incident was actually the test case for the current complaints procedure, and was followed pretty much to the letter, so there is any case to answer here. It therefure must come down to the "you owe me one" conversations / backhanders that have happened on the side / in darkened corners, and/or the subsequent handling of the toys/pram demand.

But GOOD NEWS, it looks like DP's BLACKMAIL DEMAND may be about to finally pay off. This is notwithstanding whether:
1) Stumpy would be bfa members' choice for a lifetime achievement award;
2) others should be considered alongside Stumpy for similar awards (Geoff? Boris? Eddie? various Dave's? Tich?);
3) the BFA can afford the payments; or
3) indeed such an award could open the floodgates of such awards and mutual backslapping and merriment.

It just goes to show that if you cry loud enough, and for long enough, then you can indeed stimulate pity for any cause.

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:37 pm

No Rich. Good effort, almost worthy of a politician, particularly with the huge assumption half way through. But no.

The BFA screwed up. Badly. Dave, having paid up the deposit and done everything asked of him following his selection, would have been quite within his rights to tell the selection committee, under their own rules, where they could get off. But he didn't, he very honourably said, you do me a small favour and I'll do you a big favour. The small favour was to give Stumpy a lifetime BFA membership. That's a fiver a year "lost" from someone who wouldn't necessarily have paid anyway, certainly not now he no longer goes to tournaments, and a small recognition of the hundreds of ours he spent lugging our tables around, frequently with little or no help. Dave kept his side of the bargain up. The BFA turned around and said, I'm very sorry, but it seems that due to an administrative oversight we can't be bothered to change the constitution to accommodate what was agreed via verbal contract so we're just going to break it, a quick meeting and vote at the next tournament would be far too much effort.

Additionally, to respond to your little list:

1) Who gets the award was not up for discussion. Stumpy was explicitly named as part of the deal, and remember that the major beneficiary - indeed, thusfar, the only beneficiary - of that deal was the BFA.
2) This is, of course, answered in 1).
3) The BFA isn't getting any money off Stumpy anyway at the moment. If this token gesture miraculously caused Stumpy to appear at a tournament, it wouldn't be costing the BFA anything, as he'd be paying entry and table fees he wouldn't otherwise have paid.
3) (Another 3)?) That's purely up to the committee. If it's a one-off, it's a one-off. Given that it seems to take several years to get something so trivial done, I suspect that the floodgates would not be opened.

I apologise to anyone who's on the current committee and is having to bear the brunt of this, despite having had nothing to do with the original situation. However, what's done is done, so just do the sensible thing and get the mistakes made by your predecessors fixed.

Cotty

Post by Cotty » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:17 am

I love the name Stumpy.
"A day without laughing is a day wasted"