What should the BFA be doing that it isn't doing now?

Foosball chat / key issues and discussion
Christopher Lyall
BFA Regional Rep - South West

Re: What should the BFA be doing that it isn't doing now?

Post by Christopher Lyall » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:11 pm

Let's keep it on topic guys.
www.fivebar.co.uk - Foosball Tournaments, Leagues, Shop

snakecharmer

Post by snakecharmer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:25 pm

It is on topic.

Christopher Lyall

Post by Christopher Lyall » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:19 am

snakecharmer wrote:It is on topic.
No Dave, it isn't. It's really very very confusing for people like me that haven't met you/weren't playing at that time to read your posts and not know what you're talking about. You've already said your piece here and were sparing enough on the details. Why does it need to be said again? This thread is clearly for people to voice their suggestions as to things the BFA should do or could start doing to further the game. I can't see you doing that here. If there's one thread on Britfoos that represents the good intentions of the BFA then it's this one. Filling it up with negativity when you've already said the same things elsewhere isn't constructive. In fact it's quite the contrary. While you've made it clear that being constructive with regards to foosball is no longer something you are interested in, you don't have to ruin it for all the people that ARE still interested and haven't lost faith.

So please, this is a personal request from me, someone still enthusiastic about foosball: could you stop writing unconstructive posts in this thread?

Chris

PS I don't know you but I wish I did. You should come to the Major. Seems like you can't keep off the forums these days anyway so you might as well get back into tournaments!

PPS I'm not trying to offend you with this post so i hope you don't take it the wrong way. Everyone I know that knows you has the highest opinion of you, and I can only assume it is very well deserved, so my respect for you follows transitively.

snakecharmer

Post by snakecharmer » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:52 pm

I have already said my piece in the thread mentioned, but the promised conclusion to it all never happened. There were promises from various committee members, they also never happened. What should the BFA be doing it isn't now? Fulfilling their promised conclusion. Naturally, it would be good for those others concerned if I disappeared and never returned. Although they don't have any conscience, they possibly feel embarrassment over the whole issue. The fact that one committee member can only use throw away posts in reply maybe shows this.This injustice would be left under the carpet where the BFA/players probably thought it would remain swept forever. IT WON'T.
Posting negativity is sometimes just a fact of life. It isn't all roses out there. If my posts don't match your rosy view of life, don't get involved in them. As for me being active on the forum, looks like someone needs to be. Tumbleweed sprinds to mind on here. If you don't want me to post on here, get them to ban me. Simple. I have a long history on this forum on not always posting the populist view, I tell it how it is/was.
Would I turn up at a tournie? I made a stand on moral grounds, hoping that others involved would do the right thing. I was wrong. I was hung out to dry. I judged others by my personal morality. Fatal mistake. My bad. I won't drop my standards to ease the conscience or save the embarrassment of others just to attend a tournie. They seem to live with it fine, so will I. But from time to time I will remind them. People will baulk who know nothing of it all. So? Don't like it, stay out of it...let those who should be replying answer. But we just know they haven't got the nuts.

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:31 pm

Dave,

I'm on the BFA committee at the moment and I have no idea what you are talking about or what your problem is/was. I haven't asked others who might know about it and I don't intend to, because as far as I'm concerned, and I probably speak for others on the committee who also have no idea (which is probably most/all of them), it is not a BFA/Dave Perrot issue rather it is a MysteryMan/Dave Perrot issue. The volunteers currently on the committee should not have to deal with the crap that previous incarnations are responsible for when it comes to personal arguments or grudges.

It's apparently been 3 years since this whole thing, whatever it was, and clearly voicing your grudges on this forum has not done you any good. Perhaps it is time for a different approach, i.e. contacting the relevant people directly? Or alternatively you could get accept that not everyone is going to meet your moral standards, move on, forget about whoever, and enjoy your foosball. I don't know you personally Dave but I've been told by others that you were fantastic for UK foosball both as a player and committed volunteer. So it seems a shame that you (along with some others) are no longer involved in the scene to help push us forward, whilst giving you the enjoyment of the game you clearly still adore.

Steve

snakecharmer

Post by snakecharmer » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:40 pm

The committee have always been selective in dealing with some things and not others. If you take on the any decisions from previous committees, you take all of them on. I don't think each newly elected co'tee starts with a clean slate. I know voicing my views on here has never got me anywhere, but that is because those concerned just bury their heads hoping I'll never return. The DP/Mystery Man thing..ROFL. I had BFA promises via phone, email, MSN and this forum that it would be sorted. Not one of those was ever followed up. After the promises were made I never heard from any of them again about it. So it may make your life easier to not deal with it. Fine, that is the same attitude I've dealt with since the start of it all. But the only way to make it disappear is to deal with it. Remember, it is me who's been out of the game for the last 3 years, not you or anyone else ducking responsibilty.
Many said when I walked that I'd soon be back, I said it wouldn't happen, I'm not even close to coming back. So when I say I won't drop this until it is finally sorted, it may be wise to believe me.

Christopher Lyall

Post by Christopher Lyall » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:06 pm

snakecharmer wrote:...it is no longer worth fighting for. So now? Nothing, it stays with me as an unpaid debt, whether the BFA recognise it or not. I won't chase it any more, but if it comes up face to face, we'll deal with it then...

...Either way, the struggle for some justice is over, I don't care who the winner is any more and nobody else does.

...This is no longer my fight, the BFA won't repay me any moral debt. And I no longer will waste my time chasing it.

...I'll leave this post up a couple of days for any interested parties, then my account gets deleted and I don't know if the posts then disappear.
snakecharmer wrote:I know voicing my views on here has never got me anywhere,...

...So when I say I won't drop this until it is finally sorted, it may be wise to believe me.
I'm ending any involvement of mine in this. Honestly wish I hadn't posted and apparently reignited this whole thing.

Take care,

Chris

Richard

Post by Richard » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:44 am

Perhaps - and here is a suggestion - focussing on what the BFA does rather than what the BFA does not is more constructive. I have a sense of deja vu?

Semi-annual reports from the chairman on what the BFA committee has done, has considered, is considering or is planning. Consider this a transparency update. Just a suggestion.

*mayya*

Post by *mayya* » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:46 am

More transparency is a great idea - periodic reports is a good way of doing this. Contacting various representatives directly is also a good idea. General ideas like that, and more specific ones at the beginning of this thread is, I presume, why this thread was started. Having just joined the BFA as Women's Rep, I have posted a similar thread in the Women's Forum, and have already received a few helpful suggestions. And there are only like 5 women players!

The BFA are a group of volunteers, most have full-time committments elsewhere. If you want something changed, change it - I joined because I disagreed with some issues and wanted a vote, so the comments annoy me. Staying away doesn't make sense to me, I don't understand how it is a moral issue, and genuinely don't understand what it achieves. You can't ask one volunteer to change something about the game, get angry that it wasn't done, and then hold grudges and 'stay away' - if you do nothing, not even PM the current BFA Committee, you have no right to complain. Personally, I joined because I want to help - I'd be very happy to do what I can if I am PM-ed, whether the issues are old or new.

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:30 pm

I suggest that the BFA put in a bid to get some foosball played on the plinth in Trafalgar Square. The plinth is big enough for a table (just about).

http://www.london.gov.uk/fourthplinth/

Cheers,
Rhys
London Foos: http://www.britfoos.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=47
Elo, music to my ears.

The Doctor
BFA Chairman

Post by The Doctor » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:22 am

Excellent idea

davez

Post by davez » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:35 pm

http://www.london.gov.uk/fourthplinth/plinth/gormley.jsp wrote:The rules are simple: you must stand on the plinth alone, for the whole hour; you can do whatever you want, provided it’s legal; and you can take anything with you that you can carry.
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

cbalife

Post by cbalife » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:37 pm

Take a garlando duetto up ;D

davez

Post by davez » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:16 pm

Or maybe just do a Michael Jackson homage?
Apostrophes never make plurals.Incorrect:Table's,Garlando's,DVD's,1900's.Correct:Tables,Garlandos,DVDs,1900s.

davez

Post by davez » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:23 am

Plinth of Pop? Anybody? No?

dink27

Post by dink27 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:40 pm

If you want to find out about new venues the best way is to find out who operates pool tables/jukeboxes/bandits in your local pubs
cool if you want to play on a table with telescopic rods a glass top and orange balls.
question is how to educate the operators - offer them better deals than the suppliers perhaps,
put them on our maps, get the venues list up to date, do promotions in venues we have supported. nothing currently available in s.yorks to my knowledge - can't even get my mates to play at mine anymore . as a result table dismantled and for sale!

dink27

Post by dink27 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:02 pm

some advice would be welcome from the nuneaton crew who seem to create a new venue whenever they need one.hats off to you !

Ben

Post by Ben » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:02 pm

In recent history Bill Donne and myself have tried hard to encourage other foosers around the near by counties to visit Reading's new foosball venue Deja Vu and stir up a bit of interest to the casual player and onlooker and spread the word of foosball and the BFA.

I would like to take a moment to publically thank Bill for his time and effort.

We have been grateful for the visits of the oxford crew and more recently the guys from Southampton, there visits have not been in vain do continue to breed interest to the local amateur players and help prevent the foos scence is Reading from going stale.

I was wondering if we could do something a bit more offical, maybe a BFA sponsored night, with banners and maybe a BFA sponsored pro. Perhaps Challenge the expert and a dyp.

I put it to the BFA, would you assist in arranging a BFA sponsored foos night at Deja vu (Bill Donne's agreement provided) and would you be prepared sponsor the expense for someone from the Expert Challenge Register?

Regards,

Ben
Burn all FAS

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:14 pm

Yes! Check your inbox.

Christopher Lyall

Post by Christopher Lyall » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:44 pm

I'm happy to be the expert as well.