Any experts on Bonzini Gerflex surface and construction?

Foosball chat / key issues and discussion
Max

Any experts on Bonzini Gerflex surface and construction?

Post by Max » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:54 am

Hi chaps,

Hoping someone may help - I understand Bonzini tables like many French tables use 'Gerflex' (made by Gerfloor - a flooring supplier) genuine Linoleum for the playing surface.

From talking to a flooring supplier what most people in the UK call 'lino' is not proper lino but just vinyl flooring - genuine Linoleum is hessian backed and expensive.

I'm trying to find something as close to Gerflex in the UK as possible for a scaled down Bonzini type project table I'm working on.

Can any Bonzini owners comment on the feel of the surface of a Genuine table - is it a matt (very slightly roughened) surface?

Anyone know of a good substitute lino in the UK?

And on the construction of the Bonzini - there is the main base with the corner ramps then the hardboard on top of this and the lino on top of that.

It seems the hardboard is stapled around the outside but is it also glued to the main wooden base?

And is the Gerflex contact glued down over it's entire surface?

Thanks for any help!

Brian Harms

Re: Any experts on Bonzini Gerflex surface and construction?

Post by Brian Harms » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:45 pm

I once built a table using old planks for the sides, eight lengths of 1/2 inch iron concrete reinforcing bars for the rods and 22 wooden men turned on a lathe from old chair legs. The base was an old table top with 12" by 12" square self adhesive lino tiles laid on top and a set of miniature ivory snooker balls completed the project.
You might consider such tiles for your floor as they can be laid so that you can hardly see the join and the feel was quite Bonzini like.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:31 pm

You can buy Bonzini playfields on e-bay from France:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tapis-Gerflex ... 53f3486f07

€31.85 plus €21.55 postage to UK (currently £25.27 plus £17.09)

joshjaeger

Post by joshjaeger » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:50 pm

I have rebuilt a bonzini. this included replacing the whole playing surface.

Gerflex is slightly rough on ione side and smoother on the underside. It has no hessian back.

they use 10mm chip board. I used 9mm moisture resistant MDF

on top of that goes the 4 plastic corner incerts pinned into place.

the pinned and glued down to that 2 or 3 mm hard board.

then the gerflex glued down to that. I used some pretty powerful contact adhesive. a bit like supermans spray mount. It has to go down in the right place first time! possible with one person better with two.

Marmoleum is a good approximation of "Linoleum. Not sure how thin it goes and if you can get it without the hessian. my advice is contact Bonzini they are very helpful. if you only need a little they may have an offcut?

Any questions I will try to help PM me

Josh
Babyfoot for a better society

Max

Post by Max » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:40 pm

Boris, Josh - thanks ever so much for the posts.

After a shed load of research, planning and reading hours and hours of info, studying endless restauration topics on the http://www.babyfoot-fr.com/forum/commen ... t-f13.html forum but mostly after experimenting with many ideas in the workshop and to cut a long story short I'm shelving this idea - it was getting bloody expensive and I am not sure the man hours involved would have produced the (OCD mad) result I desired.

I really wanted to create a 3 barres Eurobut (as an interim until we manage to find space for a full size table) but as I say it's not going to happen.

Still if anyone hears of a French table for sale please let me know - I close close to buying a lovely old Sulpie from Dunkerque a couple of years ago - I'm only 45 mins from Dover.

I only wish someone made a compact high quality table but 2/3 size. Only thing I can find is the Garlando F-mini but it's really a kids toy.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Most play fields are 110-120cm long, any shorter than this and it is not ergonomic for adults to play, which is why shorter tables are just for kids. The shortest 'proper' table is likely to be the Garlando G100 (which has protruding goals) of the Roberto-Sport College Pro which has the shortest play field of the ITSF models. RS do a dinky little table with short goalie and 2-bar rods only called the Roby but although fun and sturdy (within itself - it gets moved around during play) what you can do is limited.