Britfoos Forum or Facebook? Discussion

Foosball chat / key issues and discussion
Mase

Re: Britfoos Forum or Facebook? Discussion

Post by Mase » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:23 pm

willhawkes wrote:A few things:

a) You've all seen it, I've posted on pretty much everything under the sun and no-one comments. I know I'm doing well when I get likes. but the format isn't right for a long discussion about the pros and cons of stuff. Heaven knows I've tried enough times asking for people to say something but there's just a swishing silence.*

b) I'm running the FB page with two targets, a) keeping our community up-to-date with news from around the UK table football world, and b) to hook in the interest of novices / casuals / beginners. who might might might want to play at a higher level.

c) I would WARMLY welcome anyone in the community who wants to produce content of any sort, e.g. the great Vine videos which Chris Lyall did a few months ago. Joe, if there's something you'd like to see done, then by all means, very happy to help you to do it. I love doing the "60 SECONDS WITH" when I have time to do them.

d) The Forum is a good place for debate like this. I've missed it during its 6 month absence. Glad it's back. If anyone wants to start any controversial threads to get a discussion going, then by all means, and I'll point to it from Facebook. Because (again), experience shows people don't say much there*.

*I am open to the line of argument that I'm not good at generating discussion in the way I run the page. BTW, again, welcome people's ideas (and contributions) which will get more people talking.
You know I think you have been doing a great job. I am so grateful for all you do.

Regards,

Ben

Matt Price
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Price » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:28 pm

robmoss2k wrote:"Joe Bundy pins the ball with the goalie. What happens next will leave you staggered"
Bound to be an own goal...

decromax

Post by decromax » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:53 pm

▲ Haha. I am quite new to all this Foosball malarky but I quite was staggered at the lack of activity on this forum. Dont get me wrong I have a wealth of info from here and even managed to find a table but it seems there are only a handful of posters willing to help out. The majority of posts have very little or no activity, i would of thought as it being such a niche game that there would be a good size core of posters keeping the forum alive.

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:17 pm

Ryan, where are you based? How can we get you connected to a regular playing community?

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:35 pm

Matt Price wrote:
robmoss2k wrote:"Joe Bundy pins the ball with the goalie. What happens next will leave you staggered"
How is that staggering?

Matt Price
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Price » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:18 pm

Bundy Volume 1 wrote:
Matt Price wrote:
How is that staggering?
Fair point...

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:47 pm

The problem with the Facebook page (any Facebook page, not just the BFAs, I currently admin 4 of them) is that it is unstructured with posts appearing in reverse chronological order, and contributions from other than admins (or comments to Admin-generated posts) can be hard to find - particularly on mobiles. Because FB are money-grabbing ninnies they limit what they call the 'organic reach' of posts - i.e. keep if off peoples timelines unless you are prepared to pay to 'boost' your page's posts. If anything the old-style Facebook Groups are more interactive. However they are no substitute for a web-page or this forum.

I don't know why people at a local level are reluctant to post on the forum, particularly in the regional sections which were set up to enable foosers to get in contact with each other and more recently allow the clubs in the area to promote themselves.

At the end of the day it is not an either-or situation, but a both-and, using FB to generate interest and encouraging all clubs to set up FB groups or pages to attract new members and publicise local events, but making the website and forum the place to have discussions and as a central clearing house for information on foos in the UK.

Maybe the Forum needs a bigger presence on the BFA front page, rather than a small button at the top of the screen. Would it be possible to allow people to sign in/register using their Facebook ID as other sites can? That could improve integration between the two web formats.

Edited by Dan for language

decromax

Post by decromax » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:36 pm

willhawkes wrote:Ryan, where are you based? How can we get you connected to a regular playing community?
I am already playing regularly with the Southampton Rockets. Great bunch who play every week. :)

tom_k
Site Administrator

Post by tom_k » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Boris wrote: Would it be possible to allow people to sign in/register using their Facebook ID as other sites can? That could improve integration between the two web formats.
Don't think PHPBB3 supports oAuth.

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:53 am

Tom_K wrote:Don't think PHPBB3 supports oAuth.
https://wiki.phpbb.com/OAuth_Providers

Matt Price
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Price » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:48 am

Perhaps we just need to do more for new players who register on here. A great many do so and then never post or even come back. Perhaps just an email or a PM, maybe suggesting they post an introduction in the Friendship Forum with a bit about themselves, and with links to our facebook page etc.

A lot of online forums suggest or insist that you make an initial post, stating your name and a few things so that others can say hi. We've established that there are more of us actively checking the forums than perhaps any of us realised, so I'm sure we'd respond to a new player introducing themselves.

Just a thought.

tom_k
Site Administrator

Post by tom_k » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:15 am

robmoss2k wrote:
Tom_K wrote:Don't think PHPBB3 supports oAuth.
https://wiki.phpbb.com/OAuth_Providers
I take it back!

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:01 pm

@Tom... can you set this up for us? It would an awesome way to get FB and the forum connected properly.

@Matt Price... great idea. This is of course a volunteer organisation so in that spirit, are you interested in being the person who does the welcomes to first-time posters on the forum - helping them get connected to a playing community, etc? Good examples is Ryan Lynch (Decromax), who is now playing with the Southampton Rockets, or Gulfareen Akhtar who is playing with the Warwick Uni lot.

tom_k
Site Administrator

Post by tom_k » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:31 pm

willhawkes wrote:@Tom... can you set this up for us? It would an awesome way to get FB and the forum connected properly.

@Matt Price... great idea. This is of course a volunteer organisation so in that spirit, are you interested in being the person who does the welcomes to first-time posters on the forum - helping them get connected to a playing community, etc? Good examples is Ryan Lynch (Decromax), who is now playing with the Southampton Rockets, or Gulfareen Akhtar who is playing with the Warwick Uni lot.
Hmm. Potentially a lot of work. I need to look into it.
(it's going to a major issue to work out how you associate (or if you can associate) existing accounts with OAuth providers: it might be this can only apply to new accounts. Also, spam, potential danger there).