Britfoos Forum or Facebook? Discussion

Foosball chat / key issues and discussion
willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Britfoos Forum or Facebook? Discussion

Post by willhawkes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:45 am

MOD - Topic split from Garlando WCS 2014 thread in International Events

Great write-up guys.

Agree with Paul's comments. How do we get more people writing stuff up? Is the forum the only place for it? People don't really try very hard with social media.

matty96
BFA Regional Rep - North

Re: garlando wcs 2014 -11/7

Post by matty96 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:18 am

Yes Will, the forum should still be the main avenue of communication. It would be very hard to do a review or a major announcement in the comment box of Facebook.
The Facebook page is great. A light-hearted, informal fun look at our sport, but all the general thoughts, new ideas and organisations need to be done on here.
Like Paul, I also check in on the forum everyday and have learnt so much from it since I started playing. Rather morbidly, I suppose, I especially liked to watch an argument unfold or be shocked by the dry humour/abuse dished out by Rob Davey. All the different points of view are what gets us moving forward in the end.
Unfortunately, nowadays it seems you can go a week or more without a new post. This is certainly not going to impress potential new players or visitors to the site.
So come on guys and gals - here's the rallying call. Get some stuff on. Even if it's meaningless droll. It's still something to read. I'll read it anyway!

PS - If you read this post and don't reply to it then you smell.

Kingy

Post by Kingy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:30 am

I have read all posts and enjoyed it so here is my reply. Just so I don't smell :lol:

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:43 am

My DeodoRANT is working beautifully. So I don't smell. And your rant is well placed and well meant.

Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:30 am

The forum is dead because there isn't anything to talk about these days.

It's been a year or something like that since the last tournament that had any expectations and looked good. I think the last UK tournament which I had proper fun at was the last Warwick/Coventry one - which was mid 2013 or 12, can't remember. Liverpool was alright though. Before and after dull/standard tournaments there is nothing to talk about.

The forum used to be full of banter from local scenes because those scenes were made up of older players without Facebook. Now the active scenes (mainly just London I guess) do everything through FB et al because everyone is on social networks.

A lack of fun tournaments to bring new players to has meant that there really aren't any new players in the community (London, Hereford, Edinburgh etc are bringing in new players, but they're not in the national tournament scene of Britfoos). So writting on the forum is pointless. I knew everyone who was likely to be going to the Bobby Sport wcs, and I've just been speaking to them via FB/phone etc. There is no need to post on the forum to sort out plans and keep things open like the old days.

As far as I'm aware, the Committee have done nothing for 2 years. I'm sure they have, but I haven't been on the committee for that long, and there is nothing to say that the committee is doing anything at all. So with no tournaments lined up, and what would seem like a completely inactive organisation, what would people have to talk about?

Will - if you want people to post stuff and have material for you to publish then ask them directly, not just in open messages! I liked the interviews you did a while back, do more of those with those through out the community, and make the questions interesting! Our community is still made up of some of the best people I have ever met in my life. I miss those that I never see outside of tournaments, yet think are brilliant people. I'm quite sure pretty much everyone would give an interview/write up post tournament stuff etc if nicely asked.

I still see and speak with my good friends from tournaments often, and we really are coming to the opinion that the national tournament BFA is dead. That's not the old over the top thought, it's clearly what has happened. If there was a Darlington tournament, I'm not sure I could be arsed to go. Even though I still play around on my table at home every day, and love to play with my tournaments friends when I see them and we're near a table. The past 18 months of the national tournament scene has just killed the love of the game. Tournaments are now just associated with being expensive boring weekends. There could be nothing wrong at all with a Darlington tournament (and I'm sure the guys involved would do a great job at running a tournament - as did the guys who were involved in the Gloucester tournaments, I can never fault their effort and never doubt that they really do care about the game), but it's just the expectation now. We used to travel all over the country every 6-8 weeks because we knew it was pretty likely it was going to be really fun. But our playing standard has got better, the tournaments went with that and became more pro, and have started to lose the fun. The last Gloucester 2-ball only about 3/4 of us were drinking and it was just made up of serious euro-foosers taking hte point after each ball with no banter. I mean for the love of God! That's not what we used to do in the UK.

Yeah most of us, who made up the bulk of the community a few years back, in our early-mid 20's have been getting older and more grown up. We have families, are better off, and have more things to do in life. But the tournaments always used to bring the new people in. I met a few new guys at the last Liverpool tournament - mainly from Warwick - and had lots of fun with them! That used to be at pretty much every event. Not just 1 in a blue moon.

As I'm sure you can tell by the tone of my post, I miss the good old days. Right now, I'm possibly even looking at going to the Bobby Sports as one last fun hurrah for tournament foos for me. And it's really sad that right now, I'm not sure I'd mind not returning to a tournament with how things have been.

So if the BFA wants to be like it used to be, with an active forum and national tournaments as they were, then someone has to do something about it. A few years back people got involved in that early, because we wanted to. I can't even estimate the amount of time I spent on everything running tournaments. The packing up at 2am in Oxford with just me and Boris left to then drive back to Liverpool and unload tables at 6am. But it all went about the pro game, less social, people helped out less and things have just died. When Boris isn't going to run any more tournaments, then something has clearly been badly wrong for a while.

So if there is still a group that want that in the BFA and the committee, then go put on that fun tournament. One where people think "Y'know what, I fancy going to that". The BFA is cash heavy, sponsor a tournament with a few grand so you can keep entry fees cheap. And I mean like £5/£10 a weekend, not the new idea of 'cheap' entry being £30 for a novice. Hold it somewhere nice, central and cheap like Coventry. Get the love back.

Or just leave things how they are, change the website to reduce the forum so it doesn't look so dead, and just hope the local scenes just keep going as they are, and the better players can still be contacted to turn up to World Cups.

The forum used to be the first site on my bookmarks toolbar. Now it's buried deep down somewhere.

Longest Britfoos post in at least a year.

Edit - that might seem rather negative towards the guys running the Gloucester tournaments. It's not their fault at all. The effort they put in was brilliant. More than so many who have run touranements before. They were just victims of the general direction the UK national tournaments seemed to have been taking for a while. And one of location. If the Capital Venue was in Bristol city centre, things might be so different now.

matty96
BFA Regional Rep - North

Post by matty96 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:48 am

PERFECT - Now we know what Joe thinks!

Who knows, this could even stimulate a debate. LET'S HAVE IT!

A point I would like to pick up is about the tournament situation. People go to events for all kind of reasons. It might be a fun weekend for some, serious competition for others, convenient location or even ITSF points on offer. The diversity of the people there make it what it is.
Ultimately though, a choice of tournaments has to be better than a lack of them and then we would all have something to talk about (or argue over).

But how do we go about that?

Matt Price
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Price » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:23 pm

Ever since I first started playing there have been between 80-100 'regular' players. With the exception of a few of our Keele lot, and the new Warwick guys, those that have stopped attending tournaments have not been replaced by other tournament players - the reasons for that can be debated.

As sad as it may seem, large, national tournaments are probably not the way to build the scene in the UK. We grew backwards, with a national tournament scene before the club level and that now needs addressing, The local, club scene needs to be built up, with smaller, more localised tournaments, and we then need to work our way to larger ones. Obviously, this is just my opinion and some may disagree with that. That was more in response to what Joe said, but it does also explain why the forums are quieter - fewer active players for a start.

That being said, we need to begin to look at ways to grow local scenes. Darlington, Nuneaton, Hereford, Liverpool, Bristol, London are examples of this - I'm aware there are more.

There is no reason to suggest that the forums shouldn't continue to play a role in this, but we do need to appreciate that social media will be used more and more. It's quicker, easier, and more people tend to have it, but we need to consider what we want and/or need to use the forums for - In the last 30 days there have been 251 visits to the forums, so people are coming to them, but not discussing anything.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Re: Britfoos Forum or Facebook? Discussion

Post by Boris » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:38 pm

But where are all the club-level tournaments?

In the North West there are monthly tournaments at the Rainbow in Manchester (3rd Friday singles odd months, 3rd Sunday doubles even months) and at Rileys in Liverpool (1st Monday), with occasional (one-off or termly) competitions elsewhere in the region.
Darlington have their league nights
Nuneaton have doubles on the First Friday (but haven't posted results in a while)
London have regular events organised by JP/AMM at Bar Kick and elsewhere
Hereford have regular DYPs

We now have clubs all around the UK, and the criteria for holding an official Cat E competition could hardly be simpler - essentially all you need to do is let people know about the event at least a week in advance, record player registration details, and post full results. The format (within reason) and table type (any full-sized) is up to the clubs, as is whether to charge entry fees or award prize funds etc. Everything you need to run an event, including paper and excel DE charts or Round Robin sheets (for those without Sport/FAST) can be found on the website - http://www.britfoos.com/downloads All clubs should hold their own competitions at least once a year, and up to once a month. This is what will get people playing at grass-roots level and provide the next generation of tournament players.

ALL clubs should have a web presence. It only takes a couple of minutes to set up a Facebook group or club page to recruit members, let people know about events or playing nights, and post results/photos etc. The club needs to post a link to the Facebook page/group on the forum in the relevant regional forums. Simples!

As for tournaments, the number of people with experience of running the events on the day (tournament director) with the ability to use Sport or FAST software is declining to a dangerous level. It is not simply the next generation of players we are losing but the next generation of organisers and activists. If we are holding fewer tournaments there are fewer opportunities for new people to get the experience of running them. Those who do organise tournaments get disillusioned by criticism and the amount of work involved - especially when few are willing to help with the heavy lifting!

The BFA still has the 10x Garlando Master Champion tables in storage and available for tournaments and other events. Further tables may be sourced locally or from other providers if needed. The BFA tables are effectively available for the cost of transport, however if you have a high turnout then the BFA would expect to benefit from any surplus table/registration fees. The first role for an organiser is to find a venue and a date, then decide a schedule and devise a viable entry fee/prize fund structure (e.g. via consulting with an experienced organiser).

It is a moot question how many national-level tournaments we should have in the UK over a year. I don't expect we will ever return to the record 19 we had around 2003, but the fewest we have had since the BFA formed was 3. My view is that a reasonable number is 4-6, on at least 2 different table types. However tournaments don't run themselves and we need to find the people willing to run them, and new people to learn how to run them for the future.

Matt Price
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Price » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:54 pm

Boris wrote:But where are all the club-level tournaments?
That's why I said it is something that needs to be built up. Clearly this is something that we are not managing to do effectively enough. This could be the 'fault' of either the last few committees, or players in general, or both (no offence intended, particularly to committee members).

We need more clubs to spring up and we need to encourage more younger (school/college players) to continue playing the game when they leave. We can offer all the support needed for setting up a club and running league nights, but what we are lacking is new blood - new players coming through to replace those leaving or moving on in life and away from foos.

Jude

Post by Jude » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:05 pm

Maybe there are fewer Brice "children" going to university, or is that the case?

There used to be regular influxes of Uni players into the tournament scene, and the uni clubs were the most vibrant - I'm thinking Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, Keele, I myself started playing in UCD in Dublin many moons ago.

Are there foos societies in Universities these days? I remember talk of the BFA going to freshers' weeks to drum up interest.

Matt Price
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Price » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:57 am

Oxford and Cambridge haven't had players coming to tournaments for the last few years as far as I'm aware. There is a local scene in Cambridge courtesy of James Littlefair but I do't believe it's based around the University - although there could be some players from the Uni.

As of the last few years there is no active society at Keele. I believe Warwick still has a number of active members, many of whom did attend the Liverpool tournament. According to Boris, there are a few other Universities that have at least a semi-active scene within the University, but they seem somewhat isolated.

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:59 am

Thoughts from a distance.

The player base at the moment is at a very low level. We seem to of lost the spark that makes people want to keep turning up for those big events. I believe that we have just taken a wrong direction for a couple of years. But for all the right reasons. It is great to see that we are still a credible force when we play on the World stage at team events, and that a couple of our players are ranked very highly as individuals. But this has little relevance to the state of play on the home front.
Boris has pointed to the number of National events that take place,
It is a moot question how many national-level tournaments we should have in the UK over a year. I don't expect we will ever return to the record 19 we had around 2003, but the fewest we have had since the BFA formed was 3. My view is that a reasonable number is 4-6, on at least 2 different table types.
I think that 4 to 6 is pushing it at the moment. I would like to see only 4 events a year, and on 2 different table types as Boris has highlighted. With fewer national events available, it will create more desire to attend, and hopefully a better attendance. But you must move them around the Country. Capital Venue is a great site, and I enjoyed playing there. It was fine for me, only a 2 hour 30 minute drive. But that’s not the point. Take the event out on the road and you will attract new people. You will also increase your costs. Moving 20 tables around is expensive and time consuming, but staying in one place is strangling the game.

I agree with Jude, about the UNI scene being the most vibrant. So lets tap into that. Why not have a Doubles and Singles competition, just for Students. The only requirement to enter is a NUS union card, or proof of Full Time education. Back to the Brighouse days, I know. But it did work. Run this Single elimination competition alongside our recognized formats, so people can see what is possible. Tables as prizes?

The Local scene is doing well. Don’t expect it to fill the gap though. It is just that. Local. You are preaching to the converted, and to those who won’t want to travel to far anyway. The London scene is really focused on the work of JP/AMM. They are doing a fine job, even though it is starting to be a bit expensive these days. You will attract new blood, but they won’t stay for long unless we make it fun. Local should mean Fun. Not expensive.

But this is all getting away from the TOPIC Title. Facebook or Forum?
I believe that is irrelevant. Both are valid forms of communication, it’s just that FACEBOOK annoys the crap out of me. That’s my problem. I can’t abide being asked to share this, Candy Crush that, know that somebody’s got to work on time, view what your having for dinner. I hate being assaulted be bigoted opinions, distressing videos of abuse, and proclamations of how wonderful we all are, how happy we all are, how brilliant we all are. It’s all so instant. No sooner have you taken a photo of that Dog terd, and its there on FACEBOOK for all to see. Thank you for that. Yea, it’s my problem. I will get over it. I promise.

Social Media is the way to go, if we wish to attract new players. We must embrace it. I must embrace it. Dog terds and all.

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:52 pm

Social media doesn't work for the BFA particularly well because of the way Facebook's News Feed works. Joining the BFA Facebook group doesn't mean you get to see everything that gets posted - indeed, you get to see very little of it unless you go and hunt it down. Until we reach a critical mass of users who are willing to share and like the posts enough that they get pushed up the News Feed, there's little point posting anything, as it just disappears into obscurity.

I personally don't think we have enough tournaments. When there was about one a month and about a third of them were in London, I used to go to all the non-London ones. The Coventry/Warwick/Birmingham area was a particular favourite haunt, but London I went to only once after I finished university. Oxford and Cambridge were fine to get to. Gloucester was a really long way and I ended up having to pick and choose, mostly due to costs. When I could tell my satnav that I wasn't going to go over 50mph and I knew my entry fees wouldn't be much more than £30 it was a no-brainer to get myself to some far-flung part of the country for probably less than £100 all in for the weekend for a tournament (plus beer). Recently it's been costing nearer £250 (plus beer). It's just too much to spend on what, to me, is essentially a hobby.

£250 a weekend for 8 weekends a year is £2,000. And you wonder where the students have gone...

robmoss2k

Post by robmoss2k » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:58 pm

Also - the thing that generally got many students hooked was tournaments held in their own Common Room. When was the last time an Oxford Open was held in the St. Catherine's JCR? Or a Warwick Open was held in the students' union building? Or a Cambridge Open was held in the King's College JCR? It's been a long time. This was the first experience many players had of national tournaments and it's seriously addictive at that age to come up against Rob, Collignon or Laslo Teke when you've been used to mucking about in your college bar. That's what got me hooked, and I'm pretty sure that you'll get a major local university scene up and running if you encourage them by hosting tournaments right on their doorstep.

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:41 pm

This year marks a decade for me as a UK tournament player and this discussion has prompted me to post my thoughts.

On the whole, over the 10 years I've been going to tournaments, attendance numbers have been about the same. You'd have your standard 60-100 person tournament at the Floatel or wherever and every once in a while a 120+ monster. I guess over the past year or 18 months attendances have been declining, but it's mostly remained consistent. What has significantly changed is the standard of play, it has increased exponentially. Go and watch some videos (if you can find some) of finals matches from '04 or '05 and (besides Rob Atha) the best were at a much lower level than now.

What else has changed? Tournaments used to be either in random bars in a city (my first one was in a pub in Reading in Autumn 04, can't remember the name) or in Uni bars. But always in bars. Like now, there was a big mix in terms of demograph of people, plenty of younger and older faces. The contrasts, mixes, little cliques, alcohol, made it fun. A lot of us were in the 18-25 bracket and when you have a big group like that of that age in a Uni bar playing a game you all enjoy it is going to be awesome.

Plus the fact that it didn't take *too much* effort to ascend towards the top of the ladder, meant it was easy to get hooked as you could see yourself your results and your ranking improving at every tournament. I remember quite vividly when at Warwick in around 2005 we all started learning a brush snake game and subsequently beating people who were thrashing us just a few weeks before. Nowadays a big climb up the rankings like we used to have is much harder to achieve, perhaps people are less encouraged to keep going as they have hit a bit of a brick wall results-wise and can't see it ever improving. This also means at the top there is less competition for ranking spots.

Alongside that, the UK scene when I started playing benefited a lot from University tournaments. Warwick, Oxford, Cambridge all held several between '05 and '10. This meant that the scene, as Jude has mentioned, had a regular influx of new student players. There was a time I remember when 60 of the top 100 ranked players were all from these 3 Unis. These Unis formed the core of our up and coming player base whilst also providing us with the majority of tournament directors (Joe and Boris notable exceptions).

The problem with building a scene on that is that Unis are only as strong as their societies, which are only as strong as the people there, who are at most only going to be there for 4 years. So they will always run in cycles, and unfortunately right now none of them seem to be organising a tournament. It's no use hoping that "the BFA" will proactively get in touch with Unis and get them to run tournaments - this certainly didn't happen when I was at Warwick, we just ran tournaments because we were passionate about foosball, the BFA didn't encourage us. If anything I found the national scene at the time to be a bit cold towards us and our brush snakers.

We had a good thing going with our society and we all enjoyed going to tournaments because they were in bars, with music, atmosphere, and in some town you could go out in afterwards and play OS massively hungover the next day and end up going out in 9th to Nubbert and his crazy reactions-based game. As a poor student, you'd go out during the week when student nights are on so the weekends were relatively quiet, which meant going to tournaments was great fun and back then it wasn't so expensive. We used to have £2 table fees at Warwick Opens, not this £15 a weekend boll*cks. Tournaments have become too expensive for students to even think about going to. It's now something like £80 in entry fees plus £40 a night in a hotel (£80) plus however much in train or petrol (£50) plus food and beer = a holiday somewhere. As a student we used to keep costs down by travelling by convoy (£5 each on petrol), sleeping on floors (£10 each for the weekend), spend £30-40 on food and drinks and £30 on entry. Most of all we could win all that back by winning SPD or placing in Opens, hell I remember the days when I consistently made a profit.

Another major change has been the quality of the tables, which has improved massively, and is obviously great for the players. However, as a prolific tournament organiser over the past decade, I found it increasingly frustrating to run a tournament for various reasons. People would complain about almost everything, and about 4% would thank you afterwards. As the standards of tournaments increased, so would people's expectations, and thus criteria was developed by the BFA to ensure that tournaments met certain standards. Which then raised the barrier to entry for new organisers. We ended up with 5 categories of tournaments, a very complex table hiring scheme, etc etc. which led to pages and pages and pages of arguing on this forum (in the EOG and TCC especially) which probably put off most people from either running one again or running one at all.

What needs to happen to reverse the decline? Unis need to become active again. I'm sorry but hoping that the "club structure" will grow steadily over time to then blossom into a lively tournament scene is living in dream land. There is nothing to suggest that this is going to happen and if it does, it certainly wont happen in the next year or 2. There just simply aren't enough people locally promoting the game. They may have a fancy club structure in some European countries, but we don't. We don't have thousands of cafes filled with Bonzinis, we consider people who wear Reebok outside of the house as "chavs", and we like to have fun at tournaments, which means playing roller ball, having team events, shouting, getting a bit pissed and generally having a good time. Have you ever seen a European play rollerball at the worlds? No, and if they have they took the point. Tw@ts.

My point is that we should do what has made us successful in the past rather than down all tools and copy someone else, as that is what we have built our scene on, and at the same time try to develop the local scenes in the background. There aren't going to be anymore Gloucester tournaments for now so Unis need to step and other people need to step up and run some tournaments in some bars or hotels. There aren't many local activists so local scenes will continue to be in the background until that changes. Why is London successful? Because it happens to have a bar with 10 foosball tables in a cool part of the city. It's LUCKY. Even though the tables are crap, it automatically has a scene.

Someone just needs to put on cheap tournaments in bars and then we'll start to see an upturn. If Unis start getting in on the act again then even better. We don't have many people willing to run tournaments at the moment, until that changes the scene will be bad. Who is going to do it?

I am more than happy to offer advice to anyone looking to run tournaments or indeed to any players looking to improve their game, just ask.

Steve

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:50 pm

Well said Steve. Particularly this bit:
Someone just needs to put on cheap tournaments in bars and then we'll start to see an upturn.
About 18 months ago, I found a nearby pub with a table, they put up something on the blackboard about having a tournament on a Tuesday night, and lo and behold 9 completely people turned up and we had a great time. Then the pub closed but I'd got the point.

The problem is of course, who is "somebody"... in the end it has to be, umm, us. No point waiting for someone else to pick up the mantle.

In face that pub has just reopened and it's got a FAS table in it... here's a promise that I'll do a cheapo tournament there before year end.

matty96
BFA Regional Rep - North

Post by matty96 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:16 am

So the word "CHEAP" is being banded around quite a bit.

Is it then a case that people are being put off by expensive weekends and this is the issue that needs to be addressed? I know personally that we had to miss half of the Gloucester tournaments because our budget simply wouldn't allow it. I think it actually worked out cheaper for us to grab a cheap flight and play abroad. For us travel,time and distance isn't a problem but money is. Some have mentioned the fun factor has been lost from the game. Well surely a much cheaper weekend of foosball, regardless of location or table would have a knock on effect there and bring back the good times!

Perhaps as Joe mentioned earlier, in situations like now when the game is obviously struggling, could the BFA not do something to kick start it by either sponsoring one or two events a year or encouraging and financially helping clubs to run a tournament. Unfortunately at the moment there seems little incentive to do so. We don't know how cash healthy the BFA is right now but the committee does and could possibly let us all know?
Joe's Chairman's Blogs were always useful in that respect.

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:27 am

Ok, can the committee agree to release sufficient money's to cover all tournament costs for a FREE for Novices Darlington ITSF event... And cheap entrance fees for all attendees. Perhaps a flat rate one off fee of £10 only open to players who book and pay in advance. The fee would cover all events they wish enter. No Trophies, Medals or mementos just points at stake.... And a whole lot of fun...And Joe, we would love you to come.... Consider this an emergency response to a dire situation nationally...

Our local players will do all the donkey work. We'll source cheap hotels, a great venue, organise onsite catering at affordable prices and book an Indian restaurant for the Saturday evening which would be compulsory for all players to attend... We could advertise all round Europe, be stricked on pre registrations and organise a well timed efficiently run structured event. Come on please say Yes...
Martin Landers
Secretary - Darlington Table Football Club

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:56 am

Little incentive to run a tournament unless you get a hand out from the BFA? Really? Let me give you some perspective.

The BFA has NEVER funded or sponsored a tournament. It has never subsidised entry fees to encourage organisers to run events. Yet we have had plenty of national tournaments over the years. Hmmm, what was the reason then that they were run? Love of the game!

You don't realise but things are pretty good right now if you want to run a tournament. The BFA has 10 Garlandos available to use FREE OF CHARGE. That's right, you can hire them for nothing besides the cost of the van. The BFA is paying every year for the storage of those tables, recently spent more money to refurbish them so they are in good condition. When we ran Warwick Opens between '05 and '07 which attracted 135 people each, we had to source the tables ourselves. That meant getting in a van, driving around the country and picking up various types of garlando. You just don't get how easy it is for you now, and the BFA is paying for you to have it that easy!

Why would you need the BFA to make your tournament cheap? Just set cheap entry fees! Oh no but your prize fund might be smaller! Who cares? Does anyone seriously not go to a tournament because they think they won't make lots of money? Of course not. And you know what...if it's cheap then maybe more people will go...

No incentive? I mean seriously? If you like playing Foosball at tournaments in the UK and there aren't any being planned then you should already have an incentive.

Don't ask for hand outs. Just put in the work.

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:00 am

The over arching message is this - it is Bloop easy and simple for anyone right now to run a Garlando tournament. All you need to do is find a venue, the BFA has the tables and there are a wealth of people to advise and guide you through organising and running it. You'll likely be able to get someone to run it for you.

Just find a venue (ideally in a bar or hotel).