Call time on Britfoos

Foosball chat / key issues and discussion
Ben

Call time on Britfoos

Post by Ben » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:57 pm

Is it time to pull down the shutters, close the curtains and turn off the lights off on Britfoos?

No ones play foos anymore it seems, not even discuss foos anymore. PMs don't get replied to.

Even if you are whiling to travel to the capital there's no one that's on here that wants a game.

Forgive the Foos pun, but time at bar?
Burn all FAS

Messiah

Re: Call time on Britfoos

Post by Messiah » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:31 am

I thought the plan was to close the forum about 3 years ago as everyone apparently uses Facebook. As I have not got that (and don’t have a particular wish to be sucked into it) I have no idea how much it is actually used to arrange meets etc.
Still going....

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:57 pm

In London we have groups on Messenger (Facebook Messenger) where we contact each other and discuss when we're going to meet up. How newcomers or people from out of town are supposed to find out about that, I have no idea.

Cheers,
Rhys
London Foos: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4857&p=64431#p64431
Elo, music to my ears.

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:57 pm

Hi Ben,

Thanks for staying interested in foosball and posting in the forum.

You're right, no-one posts in the forum any more. It's also on an obsolete tech platform, so at some point in the near future yes the plug will be pulled, (but only after it's been archived in full).

And you're right in saying that no-one plays foosball at the moment BUT of course that's due to the pandemic. Before covid we were doing fine, in fact in 2019 we had the largest ever UK tournament with more than 250 people participating, just a few minutes from Trafalgar Square. We had representatives from 30 countries there.

We have a great plan for how we're going to grow table football in the UK in the coming years, a good team who are working together on that, and quite a few interested external organisations who will help us do it. It would be great to have you involved if you're interested, drop me an email at will.hawkes@britfoos.com and let's have a chat.

[The same invitation extended to everyone reading this BTW].

Cheers,

Will

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:01 pm

@Dan Gallon it turns out Facebook isn't that great as a communications platform as our message tends to get lost in people's news feeds quite a bit. So as Rhys says, nowadays our clubs and communities tend to have their own chat groups on WhatsApp and Messenger to stay connected.

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:02 pm

However, you can join the Facebook group "UK Table Football Players" and follow the Facebook page "British Foosball Association".

Cheers,
Rhys
Elo, music to my ears.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:34 pm

How do you propose the people without Facebook will keep in touch?

How much money does it cost to keep britfoos open?

With such a small current player base, how many people have you factored in that may drop out completely?

What will (and has happened) to our fantastic history of postings? History is the appropriate word here.

Maybe I’m alone in this but like a Phoenix from the ashes this forum could be a fantastic tool for sometime in the future.

To lose our history once was bad enough when, some said with best intentions, the website “ needed an upgrade” some years ago. We lost loads.

Now seemingly we might lose the rest?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:26 am

Martyn, check your messages.
Elo, music to my ears.

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:30 am

Hi Martyn,

Would love you to sign up for the BFA's monthly newsletter.

Here's our April edition. You'll see we have loads going on.

https://mailchi.mp/3f6a6216bf5f/news-fr ... VfHpQKDm0M

Here's a link to sign up for future ones.

https://mailchi.mp/6446ca02f5cf/bfa-newsletter-sign-up

Cheers,

Will

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:35 am

To answer Martyn's point about this forum. Independently of whether we want to keep it or not, the PHP server technology on which it sits has been 'redlisted' which means it is no longer protected by the software owners from vulnerabilities.

Tom King - our stalwart tech man - tells me it is now only a matter of time before the switch will thus be pulled.

I have been looking around for replacement forum technologies indeed I had a call with Hivebrite yesterday, who are a leading provider in this space. Their tech is AMAZING and PERFECT for us. And the guy has reduced his quote from £8k to £4k a year which is still way out of our league so I have had to say no, and I have asked him to recommend competitors.

@Martyn if you would like to work with me to find a replacement, let's do it. I'm utterly bought into having a modern connecting platform which is right for 2021. Email me at will.hawkes@britfoos.com and let's find a time to chat?

Cheers,

Will