Mike Fowler

Foosball chat / key issues and discussion
Martyn

Mike Fowler

Post by Martyn » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:04 pm

It is with a very heavy heart that I have to tell you all that my good friend and former foosball partner Mike Fowler sadly passed away on Sunday 15th April 2018.

Mike was a very interesting guy, he always had something to say about most things, but always listened first to other people's opinions too, so you could have a really good and often amusing chat about just about anything. His glass was half full and his humour infectious.

He knew so much about everything and as for foosball was in the past I think a committee member, maybe founder member of an organisation way before the BFA was founded. No doubt some older members could add to that or correct me if I am wrong.

Mike taught me the Snake, I travelled over the Severn bridge to his home in Coleford many times to play on his tables. I got to know his wife Margy and their girls very well and in fact both our families one year all went to Dallas together for the worlds.

I won my first UK Tornado Open with Mike in London, I recall Juj wrote a really good write up of our final against Jet and Charlie that sadly much has been lost when this foosboard replaced the old.

He was in my opinion a great player, a connoisseur of our game, an interesting guy who would help anyone, foosball or otherwise with anything and will in my opinion be sadly missed.

If anything has anything to add here regarding memories they have of Mike I am sure we would all appreciate it.

Martyn Harris
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

PaulM

Re: Mike Fowler

Post by PaulM » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:10 pm

How very sad to hear about Mike. He was such an enthusiast for Foosball, and was always trying to encourage new players to take part. The Bricklayers Arms in Putney was were he started to gather a group of regular players. It was so nice to find that Table Football had a home, and it was down to Mike.
I bought my Tornado Table from Mike, and I couldn't believe the amazing condition it was in. He had owned it for a few years, but it looked brand new.
He was never short of a comment or praise. Mike always got way to excited. He just loved the game. Captain Snakey will not be forgotten.
My thoughts are with Margy and the Girls .

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:40 am

Indeed very sad and as mentioned in the Facebook thread
https://www.facebook.com/britfoos/posts ... 1616724003
Mike was one of the games nice guys with a passion for the game and will be greatly missed.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:17 am

Margy has given me these funeral details to post here:

Friday 11th May at 12.30 pm

Basingstoke Crematorium
Manor Farm
Stockbridge Road
North Waltham
Basingstoke
RG25 2BA

and then afterwards

The Bell
26 Bell Street
Whitchurch
RG28 7DD

Martyn
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:52 am

Margy asked me to say this too about the funeral:

"By the way, in case anyone is joining us on the 11th, it'll be a very informal event, not traditional, and I'm referring to it as Mike/Micks farewell gig, so jeans and T shirts are all good"

Martyn
Albert Einstein

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:22 am

So sorry I will not be able to attend Mike’s farewell gig.
A group of us are going to the Bonzini World Championships in France, but we will raise a glass or two to remember Captain Snakey.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:39 pm

For anyone attending, Margy asked me to relay this message from the funeral directors to ask people to be there by 12.15 as it takes people a while to get settled.

Thanks
Albert Einstein

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Mon May 14, 2018 1:21 pm

It was very much a rock and roll funeral, I felt like I was at a gig! Many of Mikes musical friends were there, mainly having long hair and wearing black tour t-shirts and jeans etc, sadly just myself from the foosball community. The service was simple, comprising of musical extracts in between eulogies. Mikes ex wifes talk did include his foosball passion as part of her summary of his life. RIP Mike.
Albert Einstein

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Mon May 14, 2018 7:46 pm

So glad you were able to go. It is right we should have someone from the Foosball community, to remember the contribution that Mike made to our game, and to remember our friend.

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Thu May 17, 2018 8:43 pm

Sounds like something Mike would have appreciated and I am also sure he would have appreciated your attendance .

papafoos

Post by papafoos » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:02 am

I had read this long ago but just never replied. I enjoyed meeting Mike, as well as the rest of the Brits. He taught me the difference in British mustard and American mustard. He is also the reason Martyn and Dave P thought they had been stranded at the Grapevine Mills mall waiting for us. I couldn't get him out of Frye's Electronics store. He was like a kid in a candy store. It's simple funny memories like this that you learn to cherish.