BFA AGM 2013 Friday 15th February 7pm

NEW USERS READ FIRST - Registration info & help / Forum rules / Official BFA and BritFoos announcements
Bundy Volume 1
BFA Regional Rep - London

BFA AGM 2013 Friday 15th February 7pm

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:58 pm

The Annual General Meeting of the British Foosball Association will be held at 7pm on Friday 15th February 2013 at Rileys Grand Central, Bolton St, Liverpool, as part of the Liverpool Open tournament.

Provisional Agenda

Officers & Working Group Reports
Approval of Accounts
TBA

Elections for
- BFA Chairman
- BFA Treasurer
- BFA Committee
- Ratification of Vice-Chair & Secretary posts

Any Other Business:
UK Championship & POY Rankings
Membership fees

+++

If any other committee members have constitution change proposals please add them here. This must be done by the 26th of January.

For all those wishing to stand for election, I invite all potential candidates for BFA committee positions to put their names forward, together with a 'manifesto' as to their 'qualifications and experience', how they envision the future of foosball in the UK and the steps they would take to realise that vision. You can be as brief or as extensive as you want here.

+++

There is currently discussions in the committee about potential changes to committee structure. This will be announced soon, and added to Provisional Agenda. For an indication as to what it will involved, please see my blog for January 2013.

If anyone is thinking of standing for a committee position and has any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me via PM here or joe.bundy@britfoos.com

Bundy Volume 1

Re: BFA AGM 2013 Friday 15th February 7pm

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:35 pm

Ok, the deadline for any proposals has passed. So the AGM will be the same as in previous years, and the above post has been amended.

Any role changes in the committee will have to be dealt with in-house in 'non-official' roles.

I think many of the community would now appreciate if all those who are going to stand for any of the committee roles make it known as soon as they can.

As things stand, and all going well, I will not be standing for any committee position this year.

Joe

cmau

Post by cmau » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:34 pm

I want to thank everyone who helped elect me as an ordinary committee member and also the rest of my fellow committee for their support and wisdom. Despite the offensive and hurtful abuse I have received from Andrew Nubbert, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in their company and hope that I have helped foosball in my fullest capacity.

Unfortunately circumstances will not allow me to continue this year. I would hopefully like to stay on as an observer and continue writing the newsletter and running the facebook page in support of whoever will be charge of social media next time around but if not I fully understand and will be 100% behind the new committee.

tl;dr Not running for committee.

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:49 pm

It is now too late to make constitutional amendments at the AGM, however constitutional changes could still be debated and even but would require formal ratification at an EGM not less than 21 days after the AGM (effectively at the following tournament) before they could officially take effect.

I will be seeking re-election (as either Vice Chair or Secretary) and will support whoever is elected as chair.

ybbun

Post by ybbun » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:37 pm

I'm seeking re-election and I'll be continuing to work on the website.

If anyone with coding experience (or just enthusiasm!) is interested in helping out, please send me a PM. You don't have to be on the committee to contribute - we've had success in the past with a computing working group just made up of enthusiastic volunteers. There are a couple of projects I'd like to work on involving rankings and results, but if those don't take your fancy you can work on whatever you want to - there are plenty of ways the site could be improved!

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:17 pm

I'm interested in standing for a post on the BFA Committee, so this is a manifesto of sorts. I'm particularly interested / capable of contributing in the media areas, so to that end I thought I'd interview myself:

Who are you and what do you do?
Will Hawkes, native of Essex, resident of North London, married with two children, a hamster, 25 ants, a Tornado, a Bonzini and a Fireball. For the past 13 years, I've been working one of Britain's largest companies. I've lived in 7 countries around the world and returned to the UK in 2011. At the moment I am in a management position in marketing so that means in theory I know a bit about advertising and the media etc.

What do you bring to the (foosball) table then?
Above everything else, passion and enthusiasm. I absolutely love table football - both the physical and mental sides, as well as the diverse community. Someone described it as chess played at the speed of tennis, I'll go along with that. I started playing at university on blocky-feet Garlandos, but I wasn't aware of the properly organised formal scene until 2009 when a night at the LA Foosclub in Los Angeles changed my life. Since then I've played in ITSF events on 5 different tables, and played as much as I can, in locations as diverse as Costa Rica, Turkey and of course Shoreditch, and worked my UK ranking up to Semi-Pro, and still hoping to improve further.

What's the opportunity in the UK then?
There's a line of argument which says foosball in the UK is dying and when you look at tournament turnouts, you'd be inclined to agree. But there are some really encouraging things which suggest good things are on the horizon.
- The game is international globally connected in a way it wasn't before. I have 84 Facebook foosball friends from all around the world. The ITSF has given us a World Cup and World Championship, a global tour, fantastic TV coverage, a single set of rules - e.g. a great product both to play and watch.
- This international community comes together in the English language. Football culturally and historically originates in Britain. In a strange way, the UK can have a natural advantage or authority here.
- The game is still massively fun both at the high level and for beginners. Football (soccer) is universal, and it means football tables are too. Most people have played it once. There's a market for retro games - particularly (strangely) for kids who've only played video games - look at the growth of table tennis. I reads today that pinball is coming back, why not foosball?
- The BFA League has started really well, much better than I had expected. New clubs! New players! Who knew...
- London is also a massive opportunity for us, it's one of the great world cities and has a really strong playing population, both Brits and otherwise. I really like what JP and Steve have been doing and hope that continues to build.

What ideas have you got? How do we know you'll do anything about them?
In terms of limitations, well, I've got a family and a job and they'd better come before foosball otherwise I'll have neither. It's hard enough to get away to attend tournaments, so the best way I can contribute is through the computer. I feel there's loads more which could be done to make our digital presence more compelling. More content, interesting articles. More video, more photos. More foosball. Use Facebook, YouTube and Twitter more. I'm not a tech guy but I know an opportunity when I see one. In terms of track record, you'll just have to take it from me that I am reliable and get things done.

What would you change?
Well, not change exactly, but it's worth recognising that UK foosball can sometimes (say it quietly) be a bit cliquey. There's this great chunk of people in their 20s who all started playing at more-or-less the same time, who are quite a dominant culture. It's great to have so many committed and talented players, but it's also worth thinking about how we maintain oxygen for other players - in particular of course newcomers. Also, I really enjoy supporting Team GB and cheering on the top players, but... it's important that the BFA is see to be operating with all foosball players in mind, not just an elite. Seven of the nine people on the BFA Committee today are Pro-Master or Pro, ranked in the top 21. We kinda need more people to represent the grass roots. So if Meng is coming off the committee then I think there's space for me or someone like me.

What does success look like?
A digital presence connecting foosballers and generating interest across Britain and around the world. More players, more tournaments, more people organising tournaments, more UK clubs. And personally I'd like to get a Pro ranking one day...

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:14 pm

Well if I was there on friday I would vote for you Will.
Just out of interest ,Jon has gone ,meng is not standing again,Joe does not wish to be chair, Boris is going for secretary or vice chair,is everyone else standing again like Andy nubert or not?

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:59 pm

willhawkes wrote:Seven of the nine people on the BFA Committee today are Pro-Master or Pro, ranked in the top 21. We kinda need more people to represent the grass roots. So if Meng is coming off the committee then I think there's space for me or someone like me.

And personally I'd like to get a Pro ranking one day...
We all started as rookies and most rookie cttee members don't stay rookies for long;-)

Great post/manifesto Will!

willhawkes
BFA General Secretary

Post by willhawkes » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:51 am

Thanks Boris, only noticed that irony afterwards :-)

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi All,

as you know I have been a keen Foosball enthusiast since I was 18 and have done many things to try to improve and promote the game over that time including setting up Foos4fun and orgnaising/running events amongst other things like getting sponsorship for the first ITSF world cup, European open in Gatwick etc . I am still passionate about the game and want to see its current stagnation/decline in the Uk reversed.

I have been working on some things which I think can do that in 2013 and therefore want to join the BFA committee so we can all work togther to put the game/sport back on an upward and growing trend for the benfit of the players and everyone else involved.

I currently have no significant commercial interests in Foosball and being retired have some time to make things happen. I also have a lot of business and life generally experience which hopefully with support from others can contribute to moving the game onwards and upwards in 2013.

I dont really understand how people vote but I would welcome your support.

Thanks

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:25 pm

Really glad you are running for Committee Dave!

Benge

Post by Benge » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:13 pm

You have got my support/vote Dave.

Eddie :D

Steviola

Post by Steviola » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:08 pm

I have decided to run for Chairman. I am not able to attend the AGM or the tournament so here is my manifesto:

Background – as a player:

I’ve been playing foosball since 2003 in a sixth form common room at a “Geoff Brice school”. I attended my first tournament in 2004 at a Reading Open and since then have been a regular attendee at UK tournaments, started competing internationally in 2006 and have been a member of the GB World Cup squad since 2011. Over the course of time I have progressed from Novice to Pro Master in the UK ranking list and looking to gain more regular international experience to further my game.

Background – as an organiser:

In 2004 I joined the University of Warwick Table Football Society and in 2006 became “Events Coordinator” which involved the organisation of weekly society DYPs, internal university tournaments and successive Warwick Opens (2005-7). In 2007 I became President, overseeing it’s growth into by far and away the UK’s most successful University foosball society, and organised and ran an ITSF Master Series tournament.

Since graduating I have become involved in the BFA Committee for approximately 3 years whilst continuing to organise and direct circa 20 major national and international tournaments, something I still do to this day. Over time I have been involved in various grass roots projects, the latest being establishing an 8-team London League from scratch, of which I am director, to form part of the BFA National League.

Going forward:

I feel I now have the experience to take on the role of Chairman. There are so many areas in which the game can move forward, but to do this the committee needs to be organised in an effective manner. If elected, I will introduce a department-focused approach giving real identity, role and responsibility to each member. Currently there are too many committee members unsure of what they should be doing and/or what is expected of them. I will propose the following:

- Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer – remains largely the same. Secretary will have larger responsibilities including but not limited to introducing a membership scheme, collecting fees, taking the role of BFA communications and internally managing the votes

- Sports Department – headed by one person with more in the team. Responsible for running the BFA League, creating and maintaining a tournament calendar, being the point of contact for existing and potential organisers, dealing with any sports related queries, but most importantly restarting the grass roots initiative that has been left idle for too long

- Media Department – headed by one person with more in the team. Responsible for our website content, our facebook account, our twitter account, our newsletter, regularly contacting members of upcoming events, bringing more and more exposure to our game. I want these guys talking to TV companies and getting our name out there.

- Corporate Department – headed by one person with more in the team. Responsible for developing relationships with table operators, distributors, industry press, table manufacturers and venues – basic things that we should have been doing. Sponsorship obviously but let’s get a structure with the industry in place first. We should be the focus point of UK foosball, not a bystander in the industry that few have come across.

- Project Manager – there will often be times when projects within departments become to large for 2 or 3 people to manage and often this is the point where things have slowed down in the past as there is a lot of effort required but no light at the end of the tunnel. This person will ensure things get seen through to completion.

The most important aspect of this is that everyone on the committee will know what they should be doing and what will be expected of them. We are a volunteer-based organisation however those on the committee should be prepared to work for their privilege of making decisions for our members.

As said above there is a huge amount of work for the committee to do, with some of the most urgent in my eyes being:

- Establishing a clear membership structure
- Establishing a published tournament calendar
- Drastic improvements on the website content and migrating the focus from the forum to the main site
- Announcing the UK Championships 2013
- Announcing the 2014 World Cup Captains

Thank you for reading and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Stephen Lyall

Oatsey

Post by Oatsey » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:27 am

Hi

I can't be at Liverpool till sat night but very happy for you to be chair if that matters.

Bundy Volume 1

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:17 pm

I very much back Steve as the next Chair. I'm very happy to step down knowing he's taking over.

Rob Davey

Post by Rob Davey » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:36 pm

How do you now he's taking over if we have not voted yet?

Rob

Bundy Volume 1

Post by Bundy Volume 1 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:44 pm

Because I'm quite sure no one else as competent is going to stand, and therefore he will be the obvious choice whatever else happens with the elections :wink:

Teeb

Post by Teeb » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:10 pm

Joe Bundy wrote:Because I'm quite sure no one else as competent is going to stand, and therefore he will be the obvious choice whatever else happens with the elections :wink:
Lol

Boris
BFA Treasurer

Post by Boris » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:19 pm

I endorse most of Steve's manifesto, but would change a few things.

I would retain the existing post of Vice-Chair (not because I'm the incumbent as I will not seek re-election as VC) - reinforcing the primary role in developing and enforcing disciplinary policy. If he is willing and elected to committee I would nominate Dave Oates for this role as he has the experience and respect from players to succeed in this difficult role.

I would like to see a structure put in place at a regional level based around the clubs in each region working together. The proposal would be that each League club provides 2x members (typically the captain and vice captain) for a regional committee which elects a regional chairman from within their number, clubs without a league team would contribute 1x member to the committee. Rather than trying to dictate grass roots development from on high this should be devolved down to a regional or even local level with the national federation providing a framework to work around and guidance and support where appropriate.
Regional committee chairs could in turn form a 'second chamber' of governance holding the executive to account, in turn electing a chair who gets a seat on the Exec to represent the interests of clubs and regions as a whole.

I will be seeking the post of secretary for the following reasons
1 - I did the job previously under Rhys Roberts and Richard Thomson maintaining membership and venue databases, conducting member mailings etc - I know what the job involves.
2 - There is a need to revise the membership structure with more of an emphasis on membership via club affiliations
3 - The official BFA mailing address is my workplace with office facilities provided FoC by my company - I therefore already receive all of the 'snail mail' so no change of address would be required.
4 - I continue to maintain the rankings and would seek to integrate the rankings and membership databases.
5 - I am one of the signatories to the BFA Bank account

Christopher Lyall
BFA Regional Rep - South West

Post by Christopher Lyall » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:01 pm

I'll be standing for an ordinary committee position.

Experience:
-Served three terms on the executive committee of Warwick University Table Football Society as Logistics and Publicity Officer ('08), President ('09) and Events Coordinator ('10).
-Currently serving as a member of the Tournament Coordination Commission since Nov 2010.
-Currently serving on the BFA Executive Committee since Jan 2011.
-Currently serving on the ITSF Administration Commission since Jan 2012.
-Maintain close personal and (where appropriate) professional contact with many of the UKs leading table suppliers, table distributors, tournament organisers, society committee members and other important persons.

I am required to state that I am a director and shareholder of Five Bar Foosball, a UK based private limited company that acts as a UK distributor for tables and spare parts for various table manufacturers, organises leagues, runs corporate events, organises tournaments and generally seeks to promote table football in the UK.

If elected, one of my responsibilities would be to manage the relationship between Five Bar Foosball and the BFA to the benefit of both organisations. Constitutionally I would automatically abstain in any committee vote in which my interests as a committee member conflicted with my interests as a director of Five Bar Foosball.

Chris
www.fivebar.co.uk - Foosball Tournaments, Leagues, Shop